Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 05:14 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know or have any thoughts on? If the threshold that folks can be paid and not offered overtime is raised to 45-50K what will that do to teachers below that threshold? Will they get paid overtime for grading papers beyond a 40 hour work week? etc etc etc.

Quote:
The overtime initiative aims to rewrite rules issued by President George W. Bush in 2004 that set $455 per week as the threshold for what constitutes a white-collar worker for purposes of overtime pay. Employees making more than $455, or about $23,500 a year, must meet other eligibility requirements to be paid overtime.

Obama is also seeking changes to rules that allow employers to exempt workers from the overtime requirement, Harris said.

About 10 million workers might benefit from the rule if it applied to people making less than $50,000 a year, the Economic Policy Institute said.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:15 PM

45,393 posts, read 60,575,206 times
No. Even though not true it's assumed that teachers can complete their duties in the regular work day. No one tells them they have to stay to correct papers or do other teacher things.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No. Even though not true it's assumed that teachers can complete their duties in the regular work day. No one tells them they have to stay to correct papers or do other teacher things.
Yes, very true which takes us to the next question of what happens when teachers then use the need to be paid overtime as the reason why papers aren't graded in a timely fashion or they are leaving the building as directed after they have been their 8 hours each day. Will it necessitate more planning time in the schedule etc etc or ticked off parents? The law may not allow voluntary overtime without pay much less without time and half pay. It could be interesting to see what administrative law decisions say and if there becomes a teacher or union wanting to test the new regulations if and when the they are implemented with substantially higher thresholds.

Last edited by TuborgP; 03-14-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 06:39 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
I was very curious myself. Since they have sucked up planning time for everything but planning, stated they should never come into a room where the teacher is sitting at their desk, expect teachers to do after school tutoring, and stay late or come early for parent/teacher conferences, they have set it up so teachers have no choice but to work overtime. Maybe they will have to get rid of a lot of the extra work that has little to no impact on actual student learning.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:39 PM

442 posts, read 1,077,974 times
Teachers will never be paid overtime because they are salaried, exempt employees. They are considered professionals.

They are paid for the work done, not for the time to do the work.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:54 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
Teachers will never be paid overtime because they are salaried, exempt employees. They are considered professionals.

They are paid for the work done, not for the time to do the work.
Right, but that's what the new overtime rules are going after.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Right, but that's what the new overtime rules are going after.
Bada Bing! Previously they were salaried professionals over the threshold if that is raised to $50k.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I would imagine they will not consider work at home as overtime.
You'd have to put your 50-60 hours in at school.

What teacher is going to want to do that ?

And then they would have to track the hours so exempt will then have to clock in and out just like the hourly paid employees at the schools.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:00 PM

189 posts, read 326,936 times
I almost started a similar thread as I had been wondering about the potential for overtime. Obviously things like grading papers at home would not qualify, just as checking and responding to email from home does not qualify.

However, as another poster mentioned, what about Back to School night, supervising dances, supervising sporting events, overnight field trips, after school rehearsals, etc.? In my school these are required duties.

Basically, anything that should qualify for comp time would now qualify for overtime?

Old 03-15-2014, 03:18 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post
I almost started a similar thread as I had been wondering about the potential for overtime. Obviously things like grading papers at home would not qualify, just as checking and responding to email from home does not qualify.

However, as another poster mentioned, what about Back to School night, supervising dances, supervising sporting events, overnight field trips, after school rehearsals, etc.? In my school these are required duties.

Basically, anything that should qualify for comp time would now qualify for overtime?
Under the law checking and responding to emails is fuzzy area, but if it is required by the employer it does count. Grading papers, however, is not fuzzy, it is no different than writing a weekly report and it would count. Of course, spending extra time grading would still happen even if teachers fall under this law but maybe it would force schools to give teachers back their planning periods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching