Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:17 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,659 times

Advertisements

How many are out there doing this in this current economic climate? I just spent five hours working OT with no OT pay just to get last week's job done. I could work six days a week like this just to do this job. We are told we lack "time management skills" when we fail to get everything done, but the truth is there are not enough hours in the day.

Anyway, are people doing this just to keep their jobs? I thought this sort of thing was illegal. If an employer knows about this, they are supposed to say "don't do it" or pay overtime. This employer just looks the other way, of course! Oh, and after doing five pages worth of notes, I now get to go in and "cut and paste" all of it into the database, thereby sucking up more time, as we are not allowed to access the database from home. Grrr...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 02:24 PM

421 posts, read 2,533,756 times
You know it's funny, when I was in myrtle beach last year (june 08') a few people told me that south carolina has some sort of law called the 'right to work law' where people know beforehand that they will not get paid overtime even if they work over 40 hours/week. Now I'm not sure if that's for all jobs in the state, maybe that's just in the hotel/restaurant business.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:27 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,139 times
Where I work, I am salary, and manage a team of non-exempts, and I won't even talk anything work related on their breaks or lunches, or after their shift, unless they are logged in just to prevent anything like that.

Do you have an HR dept? If so, I would either go speak to them or drop them an anonymous letter or something, because, I doubt they know that is going on and would stop it in a heartbeat. That is one of the top things that lawyers are suing employers for, and for huge money, so smart employers will NOT let that go on, especially if it is a rouge manager or two doing it.

Also, document everything that happens in this regard, for yourself, as well as any other people you witness being taken advantage of in this way. You might seriously want to contact a lawyer, especially if you happen to lose your job or have issues at work

Good luck

Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,139 times
I found this link for South Carolina, but they have links to every state.
Overtime and Minimum Wage Resource Page - South Carolina
According to this, South Carolina is required to pay overtime per Federal Guidelines

Old 01-11-2009, 02:32 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
I know folks who work over 40, but don't report it on their timesheets for time and half pay because they feel like they will lose their jobs if they do so. They can't get the job done in 40. The employer doesn't tell them to do that at all, but the employee feels like they "have to" or they look bad -for not being able to get the job done in 40. If the boss or HR knew they would tell the employees to stop doing that.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
You know it's funny, when I was in myrtle beach last year (june 08') a few people told me that south carolina has some sort of law called the 'right to work law' where people know beforehand that they will not get paid overtime even if they work over 40 hours/week. Now I'm not sure if that's for all jobs in the state, maybe that's just in the hotel/restaurant business.

Yeah, I live in one of those states. I am originally from a liberal state and spent many years in CA where employees have rights. I guess that must be why this company doesn't care.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I know folks who work over 40, but don't report it on their timesheets for time and half pay because they feel like they will lose their jobs if they do so. They can't get the job done in 40. The employer doesn't tell them to do that at all, but the employee feels like they "have to" or they look bad -for not being able to get the job done in 40. If the boss or HR knew they would tell the employees to stop doing that.
Oh this place knows, as they were going to give me a laptop to work at home. I would tell them it would help if I could work at home and they didn't bat a eye. Lot of us are doing just that and I know they know.

However, after being offered the laptop and the chance to move to another office I realized, hey!, I don't want to work at home. To spend a Sunday reliving my week isn't my cup of tea.

Anyway, my question is to find out how many are doing this out there. I quit already. My last day is this Friday and I spent the time working today so I don't get another lecture that I don't know how to "manage my time."

Old 01-11-2009, 03:35 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
After 40hrs if hourly, you get OT that is a federal gov't rule. If you need to punch in etc., they can
get in big touble for not letting you do it. Walmart and other places got hit with big fines, for doing
just that. Just as after 6hrs of work you need a lunch break. Why did you quit, I just would have put in for my OT. Since you were happy then you could have got unemploment, if they let you go. I would apply for it anyway, while you search in this job market. Good Luck!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
After 40hrs if hourly, you get OT that is a federal gov't rule. If you need to punch in etc., they can
get in big touble for not letting you do it. Walmart and other places got hit with big fines, for doing
just that. Just as after 6hrs of work you need a lunch break. Why did you quit, I just would have put in for my OT. Since you were happy then you could have got unemploment, if they let you go. I would apply for it anyway, while you search in this job market. Good Luck!
I quit because there is no way to get the job done in 40 hours and I am not interested in working for free. Actually, I don't want to work over 40 hours at all. I guess it cannot hurt to apply for unemployment, but it is a voluntary quit. I did tell them why I am quitting so they know.

I just wonder how many people are being forced to do this, out of fear of losing their jobs, not wanting to feel constantly behind, etc. I think in this current economic climate employers CAN get away with this sort of stuff. To report them is to lose one's job, one way or the other. Thanks

Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 PM

303 posts, read 846,012 times
This is almost 7 years old, though I think it is relevant to this thread's subject.

Rip-off Report: Department of Labor vs. State of Texas TDCJ not paying employees overtime, Texas ripoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I think in this current economic climate employers CAN get away with this sort of stuff.
Which makes me sick to my stomach. This kind of practice should be outlawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment