Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 05:05 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
dingdingding!

The premise that private education is valuable enough to charge through the nose for it, but not valuable enough to pay those providing the instruction a competitive wage to do so is always an interesting one.
For the third time, she is paid well to teach where she does. She started at half again what I make now and I've been teaching for 6 years. With all the step/pay freezes I may never make her starting salary before I retire in 12 years. There has been one step increase in the 4 years I've been teaching where I am now and the year I arrived was the year after a pay cut. I know it went cut, freeze, freeze, step, freeze and they're telling us we're frozen for this next year as well. I'm not sure why people are saying she's not paid well. On top of her pay, she can send her children to that school for 20% of the normal tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 05:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
That's awesome and all, but for a school that charges twenty grand a year to attend, that's still a massive discrepancy between the purported value of the education obtained, and how much the instructional expertise is valued according to how it's compensated. Saying she makes more than you still isn't saying much, right, in the grand scheme of things? "People," i.e., me, aren't saying she isn't paid "well" (Truth be known, I felt that I was paid "well" in the last private school I worked for, and made only slightly more than you reportedly made at a charter). What I'm saying is that even "decent" pay, for teaching, is a pitiful drop in the bucket compared to what private schools will charge for the benefit of those teachers' instruction. Which is pretty absurd.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:24 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
My wife taught in a private pre-K to K Montessori school for ten years. She liked the school, but pay was going nowhere and health benefits were costly. Luckily I had the public district benefits. Our son went with her tuition free. When she left in 2006 she was making $32,000. The public school district gave her credit for ten years and started her on step 11 with a Master's so her salary doubled to about $63,000. Since we both were now teaching for the same district, our healthcare premiums were cut in half.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:27 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
That's awesome and all, but for a school that charges twenty grand a year to attend, that's still a massive discrepancy between the purported value of the education obtained, and how much the instructional expertise is valued according to how it's compensated. Saying she makes more than you still isn't saying much, right, in the grand scheme of things? "People," i.e., me, aren't saying she isn't paid "well" (Truth be known, I felt that I was paid "well" in the last private school I worked for, and made only slightly more than you reportedly made at a charter). What I'm saying is that even "decent" pay, for teaching, is a pitiful drop in the bucket compared to what private schools will charge for the benefit of those teachers' instruction. Which is pretty absurd.
The comparison has to be between what teachers at other schools are paid not the cost of the education. There's more to this. Her classes are capped at 18. She has every piece of lab equipment she could ever want. She only teaches 4 classes a day and has two prep periods per day.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The comparison has to be between what teachers at other schools are paid not the cost of the education. There's more to this. Her classes are capped at 18. She has every piece of lab equipment she could ever want. She only teaches 4 classes a day and has two prep periods per day.
Sounds perfect! She's making bank, and has an ideal instructional situation. You're not getting in on this, why, exactly, if it's such a great deal?

Old 08-02-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
My wife taught in a private pre-K to K Montessori school for ten years. She liked the school, but pay was going nowhere and health benefits were costly. Luckily I had the public district benefits. Our son went with her tuition free. When she left in 2006 she was making $32,000. The public school district gave her credit for ten years and started her on step 11 with a Master's so her salary doubled to about $63,000. Since we both were now teaching for the same district, our healthcare premiums were cut in half.
Honestly, not factoring in health benefits at all, just straight salary, that's 32k is fairly generous for pre-k programs, where I am.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Honestly, not factoring in health benefits at all, just straight salary, that's 32k is fairly generous for pre-k programs, where I am.
That was on '06 and not so great in the metro DC area.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:29 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
20-10 years ago:

• 7 period day
  • 50-minute periods
  • 1 50-minute planning
  • 2-3 preps
  • 2 years of four preps, 2 of which were APChem & APPhys (these years were tough, but I thoroughly enjoyed it considering the AP classes I taught. The others were sweat-hog sciences)
for the last 10 years:

• 4 period day (traditional block)
  • 1 period of planning
  • 90-minute periods
  • 3 preps (GenChem, APChem, & APPhys)
So I've had both easier and harder schedules. I'd say yours (the OP) was pretty standard.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:33 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
What's really interesting about the private school pay tuition is how shrill, vocal group that scream about teacher pay and back up their position with how private schools do it better and for less money. Almost every private school in my city charges in excess of $12000 yearly.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
What's really interesting about the private school pay tuition is how shrill, vocal group that scream about teacher pay and back up their position with how private schools do it better and for less money. Almost every private school in my city charges in excess of $12000 yearly.
Our district has one of lower per pupil expenditure rates in the area at $13,472. Arlington County is over $18k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching