Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 06:06 AM

79 posts, read 153,375 times

Advertisements

I have been a licensed Guest Teacher since 1996. In Arizona, a 4 year degree is required. In Virginia, some districts allow GED holders to Sub. I subbed in both States. It was actually a lot better in AZ, and the degree requirement was the biggest factor I could find. Of course, Virginia Public Schools are much more highly regarded than AZ. It also, meant better pay, and more demand. In Virginia, they would often use second or third year college students, who were recent graduates of the school, where they were subbing. A lot of them used it as a chance to flirt with the girls. Others, were otherwise stay at home moms or cronies of the administration. The students quickly assumed they wouldn't be doing any learning on those days.

As far as classroom management; the seating chart is one of the most valuable tools you can have. Notify them you will be taking roll from the chart; that will get them where they are suppose to be. It will also prevent you from having to pronounce difficult names like "Espinoza," let alone "Phoc." If the school or even the District allow the regular teachers to leave you without a seating chart or a lesson plan; it's a big red flag, and you should go elsewhere to work. Yeah, I know, those idiotic workshops they make you attend spend hours on your "sub-bag," but technically, all materials are suppose to be pre approved by the front office. Well at least that's what they told me, when I taught a lesson on Ronald Wilson Reagan.

They will also tell you to never give edibles, but in reality, most give candy at different times and I've even seen a few that operated candy and school supply mini-marts out of their desks. It's a great way to make them behave. Buy a decent supply at an after Halloween sale.

Once I realized that I was systematically being starved to death as a sub, with all the non-working days, I got into real estate investing and saved up well over 100K. When I delivered Italian Food, I made more than I did subbing, and one of our waitresses subbed during the day. You can supplement an evening job with subbing, but make sure you keep that as your main job.

Also, consider driving the school bus. The health insurance alone makes it a better job. Getting up at 6 is a lot better than waiting for the phone to ring between 4:30 and 8. You will get a regular raise and sick leave, too.
Most of the districts in Arizona haven't upped sub pay in 14 years; a few have even lowered it (Higley, AZ), but of course the administrators received a 6.3% pay increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching