Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 09:35 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In our large system (196 schools and centers), the official title was "clinic aide" (at least at the time). People generally said "the school nurse", but over 20 years there not one of our "clinic aides" had no type of degree in nursing or medicine.

This may help: The School Nurse Scourge | US News
It seemed to important to you so I asked. I'm told RN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am glad to hear your daughter is fine.

Just as a reminder you said "Everyone involved should have been fired". Fired from their job because they made a mistake that if a parent had done it, may or may not get a visit from CPS. The equivalent would be if the parent, both parents really, lost custody. No visit, no investigation, no warning, just plain old "fired". Even at hospitals, if a doctor or nurse makes a mistake, as simple as not realizing a bone is broken until it is xrayed, they do not get fired out of hand.

This is another classic example of teachers, nurses, school administrators being held to a higher standard than parents.

No, it's not. It's the same standard others are held to. The problem is not making a mistake. The problem is in the failure to acknowledge that they made a error and take corrective action to prevent future errors. We didn't go in guns blazing, though perhaps we should have. We simply called the school to point out the error and suggest changing the procedure to be when in doubt, call the parents and let the parents make the decision. That's when the educational immune system kicked into play and we got the run around. Teacher passed the buck to the nurse who passed the buck to the principal who passed the buck to the city who passed it back to the principal. Not once did anyone acknowledge they made a bad decision, nor acknowledge they could change procedures to prevent it in the future. Nothing but buck passing and hiding behind policy. That's why they should have been fired; not because of a mistake but because no one would acknowledge there was a mistake.

Just like in this thread, the discussion has not been about preventing problems; it's been about deflecting responsibility away from educators and whether school nurses are nurses or whether parents would get CPS or what would happen to doctors.

I apologize if I'm getting emotional here, I don't mean to come across how I know this is sounding, but education is something very dear to me. I don't hate teachers; I support them in what they do. I love the times I get to bring things to schools and to classes. But lord have mercy put a bunch of teachers into a school system and it transforms into fortress defending itself against all outsiders. It's common core's fault; it's the government's fault; it lack of funding's fault; it's the student's fault; it's the parents fault. Folks, this isn't about fault; it's about responsibility for the outcome. There is a difference.

Oh, and for the record, in my world mistakes warrant anything from time off without pay to reduction in pay to yes, even being fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 10:23 PM

516 posts, read 429,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It seemed to important to you so I asked. I'm told RN.

No, it's not. It's the same standard others are held to. The problem is not making a mistake. The problem is in the failure to acknowledge that they made a error and take corrective action to prevent future errors. We didn't go in guns blazing, though perhaps we should have. We simply called the school to point out the error and suggest changing the procedure to be when in doubt, call the parents and let the parents make the decision. That's when the educational immune system kicked into play and we got the run around. Teacher passed the buck to the nurse who passed the buck to the principal who passed the buck to the city who passed it back to the principal. Not once did anyone acknowledge they made a bad decision, nor acknowledge they could change procedures to prevent it in the future. Nothing but buck passing and hiding behind policy. That's why they should have been fired; not because of a mistake but because no one would acknowledge there was a mistake.

Just like in this thread, the discussion has not been about preventing problems; it's been about deflecting responsibility away from educators and whether school nurses are nurses or whether parents would get CPS or what would happen to doctors.

I apologize if I'm getting emotional here, I don't mean to come across how I know this is sounding, but education is something very dear to me. I don't hate teachers; I support them in what they do. I love the times I get to bring things to schools and to classes. But lord have mercy put a bunch of teachers into a school system and it transforms into fortress defending itself against all outsiders. It's common core's fault; it's the government's fault; it lack of funding's fault; it's the student's fault; it's the parents fault. Folks, this isn't about fault; it's about responsibility for the outcome. There is a difference.

Oh, and for the record, in my world mistakes warrant anything from time off without pay to reduction in pay to yes, even being fired.

I agree. It's difficult for some to take responsibility for things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching