Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 04:11 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times

Advertisements

I suspect the father is a "prepper" and was triggered by the reference to emergency supplies in the assignment. Maybe he is paranoid that others will know about his extensive supply of X and come for it in the event of an actual emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 04:26 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Too many unknowns to give an intelligent response!
What was the scope of the assignment? What were the questions the students were asked?
Exactly what did the parent say in his letter?
Did any other parents object in any way to the assignment?

Old 03-01-2018, 06:30 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I suspect the father is a "prepper" and was triggered by the reference to emergency supplies in the assignment. Maybe he is paranoid that others will know about his extensive supply of X and come for it in the event of an actual emergency.
Hey...you never know...that could be it!!!!

Too many times schools ask students for information that's really none of their business.
This assignment could have been easily done without annoying anyone...

Sometimes being "paranoid" can be a good thing....though I (personally) don't consider keeping family matters personal, as being paranoid.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Trust me...virtually any assignment will annoy/offend/tick off someone.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:58 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I could possibly understand that the father doesn't want his "student" providing complete strangers with the evacuation routes in his own home, but planning routes from the school or beach cities...no.

Maybe the father knows more about FEMA than he wants to...and maybe it's not all good...thus his reluctance or anger at his "student" taking part in this assignment.

I don't consider his letter to be threatening...just telling you like it is.

Were I this teacher I would have respected the father and assigned something different for this student that didn't include FEMA camps and exposing the insides of private homes.

Couldn't she ask them what their OWN plans were (in the event of a major earthquake) without {planning} the assignments direction for them??
Seeing as how the student could have used the school or beach as a starting point I don’t see the big deal.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:22 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Seeing as how the student could have used the school or beach as a starting point I don’t see the big deal.
yes...maybe the FEMA website had something to do with his dislike.
Or it could be those "certain aspects" we know nothing about.

What I consider the "big deal" is the inability of the teacher to tailor the assignment a little (for this student) to assuage the fathers fears and distrust....instead of being put out by a father that she/he considers paranoid, and obviously doesn't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching