Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 05:51 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Yes I agree. I don't want to sound serious. Today I think I said "everyone please pay attention" at one point, but not in an angry tone.

I also think it's important to make sure and tell them when they did something good. That will motivate them to continue doing good things.

I am VERY much into following rules, always being on time, etc., in my own life. But I decided I would not impose my OCD traits on the students. I don't say anything if they come in late, or if their homework is late.

I have very little teaching experience, so I decided I would not try to do this perfectly. I am an amateur musician and singer, however, so I have a lot of experience trying to entertain people and keep their attention. I think maybe that helps.
Fortunately, my department has a late policy, so I can pass the buck on being the bad guy there. But generally without a late policy, they tend to come later and later, until I'm sitting in the classroom alone every day for 15 minutes. We give a grade for attendance, so it's a black and white issue - lates actually reduce the grade by a certain percentage.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This is noted in every one of my classes, in the first session when going over policies. Since phone usage is generally not permitted in class, if there is emergent reason one needs to take a call, they are to leave the room to do so.

It's good to treat students respectfully and like adults, and likewise, it's their responsibility to do the adult thing and go elsewhere to take a phone call without disruping others.
I think no phones is OK for high school, but it won't wash in a college classroom. My students have their phones out all the time. I have just incorporated them into the class - we use facebook for all kinds of class-related things. Before that I tried everything to get them off the phones, and nothing - not even threats of failure - worked.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:58 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Fortunately, my department has a late policy, so I can pass the buck on being the bad guy there. But generally without a late policy, they tend to come later and later, until I'm sitting in the classroom alone every day for 15 minutes. We give a grade for attendance, so it's a black and white issue - lates actually reduce the grade by a certain percentage.
But if they come in late every day they could miss important information. I think the good students realize this, so they come on time.

The ones that come late all the time are probably the ones who don't care, so they will get a lower grade anyway, without me penalizing them.

I think I am getting a sense of who are the good students, vs the not so good. I'm giving them the midterm this Thursday, so then I'll see if I was right. I hope so! I really hope the ones who seem to be trying do well on the test.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
I think no phones is OK for high school, but it won't wash in a college classroom. My students have their phones out all the time. I have just incorporated them into the class - we use facebook for all kinds of class-related things. Before that I tried everything to get them off the phones, and nothing - not even threats of failure - worked.
It is actually the reality in my current graduate program.

Phones are not to be out, unless there is an extenuating circumstance you have informed the instructor of, and then you must leave the room to take a call. There is a break an hour and a half into each class, and phones may be used/checked then, and packed away again when class resumes.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It is actually the reality in my current graduate program.

Phones are not to be out, unless there is an extenuating circumstance you have informed the instructor of, and then you must leave the room to take a call. There is a break an hour and a half into each class, and phones may be used/checked then, and packed away again when class resumes.
I would be insulted that anyone would tell me when I could or could not use my phone. Phones have too many functions today - reminders, calendars, and so on - to tell anyone they can't have it out. Also, I'm an adult. I like to have my phone out and I occasionally check something - i.e. a date on my calendar, or some notes that I put there, or the time left until break - during the class that I teach.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:23 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
I would be insulted that anyone would tell me when I could or could not use my phone. Phones have too many functions today - reminders, calendars, and so on - to tell anyone they can't have it out. Also, I'm an adult. I like to have my phone out and I occasionally check something - i.e. a date on my calendar, or some notes that I put there, or the time left until break - during the class that I teach.
So...watches are for old fuddy-duddies, now?

The thing is, if you're checking your calendar during the class lecture, it means you're not paying attention to the lecture. You have no valid need to be wondering about your schedule (appointments, etc.) while you're in class. There is no urgency to checking your calendar, for the hour or two that you're in class. All that's doing, is distracting you from the lecture, and note-taking, or whatever. It means your mind is not on the class topic.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
People may be insulted. I don't know. I'm not. I appreciate that people can be fully engaged and present in class for a couple of hours sans out-of-class distractions, and that others aren't behaving distractingly or rudely.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So...watches are for old fuddy-duddies, now?

The thing is, if you're checking your calendar during the class lecture, it means you're not paying attention to the lecture. You have no valid need to be wondering about your schedule (appointments, etc.) while you're in class. There is no urgency to checking your calendar, for the hour or two that you're in class. All that's doing, is distracting you from the lecture, and note-taking, or whatever. It means your mind is not on the class topic.
Yeah, there is literally nearly nothing on my phone that can't wait till the break, or that I can't temporarily excuse myself from the classroom to address, in the case of a true emergency.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:32 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times
One problem is they don't have clocks in classrooms anymore, and people don't wear watches. So during the midterm today, I guess I have to keep writing the time on the board?

Old 03-08-2018, 09:26 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
One problem is they don't have clocks in classrooms anymore, and people don't wear watches. So during the midterm today, I guess I have to keep writing the time on the board?
lol No clocks in classrooms anymore? What, your college can't afford clocks? *snicker*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching