Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 09:53 AM

953 posts, read 843,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
... This is definitely a learning experience for me.
Every day that we awaken to represents a potential new and challenging learning experience. Do not adopt a persona that you are not comfortable with.

Remember: You are not their peers, classmates or best friends. You are a professor and that title means you are the authority figure in your classroom. You will become your own worst enemy if you allow a select minority to hijack the class by engaging in rude and inconsiderate behavior. Calmly, yet firmly, make it clear what is acceptable, and remind them that to do well in your class will require dedication, effort and sharp focus. Highlight the fact that you are invested in them and their future, and when they succeed so do you.

I also agree completely with the prior point made by TabulaRasa, where it was mentioned that there are definitely other students who are annoyed and very much put off by those who actively detract from their learning environment.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:59 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
OP, it should be simple. Did you tell them, or put in the syllabus, that private conversations and electronics use in class aren't allowed? If not, why not? You didn't expect it to happen? Some people use an I-pad for taking notes, which, obviously, is legit, but anyone can observe the difference between taking notes and messaging or goofing around. Phones shouldn't be allowed.

Don't try too hard to be liked. You end up losing discipline, as you've observed. You can be liked by occasionally being funny. But students actually like instructors who are somewhat tough, but fair. They say in their evaluations that the prof was demanding, but they learned a lot. Be that prof.

The only class in which I've ever observed what you're talking about, i.e. blatant talking with other students and disregard for the professor, leaving early or deliberately arriving late, was in a class where the prof had lost all respect, due to a subtly condescending attitude toward the students, that he wasn't even aware he was displaying. The talking and arriving late didn't begin until a couple of weeks in, so it was clear that he'd lost them. It was also clear to me that the behavior was deliberate, in order to send a message to the instructor. Most of the students were older: in their late 20's and 30's, one in his 40's, so they knew exactly what they were doing. They weren't just being flakey.

Is there anything you might have done, that would have caused even your better students to write you off? Maybe too wishy-washy, trying too hard to be their "friend", rather than an authority figure? Are you in a university, or a community college? Don't chase ratings. If you do that, you've given up authority to the students.

A final thought: have you met any of your peer instructors? Try to get to know some of them, and ask them how they handle their classes. You can also look up students' evaluations of your peers, if they're posted online. This can provide some insight into how students think, and what they value in a course.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:18 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times
I could have done something wrong, since I don't have experience. I try extremely hard to never say anything condescending or disrespectful to them. Even though I am often surprised by how much they don't know, I am sure I don't communicate that, even in subtle ways.

Before the incident I described, there was an informal discussion of how some professors are mean. I guess we were talking about the midterm exam, which will be this week. They seemed to be saying I am not mean. I think I said "Well I try to be nice, because I know what it's like to be in school." Meaning, I don't want them to get overly stressed about the exam.

In general, I have told them if they do the required homework, read the textbook, and pay attention in class, they can get a good grade. I told them that if they want to get an A, I can help them get it, by doing extra credit work, even if they don't get A on the exams.

I am trying to be respectful, but also the authority. It really is a balancing act, which takes a lot of thought when you don't have experience.

As for whether I made them angry by seeming condescending in subtle ways -- I don't think so because I tried really hard not to. On the other hand, I can't think of all possibilities at every moment, so I can't be absolutely sure.

Before the class I described, I actually thought it was going very well, no really bad disruptions.

I think it was the 2 guys walking out that made me feel something was wrong.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:08 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
I retired a couple of years ago, but wanted to work part time. I thought I would try being an adjunct college professor, since I have a Ph.D. So I have been teaching my first course (since graduate school many years ago) this spring.

Sometimes I feel like it's going well. It has been an awful lot of work, and there is a lot for me to learn about teaching a small class (under 20 students).

Since I guess the students will evaluate me, I want them to like me. But that means maybe I have not been strict enough. For example, sometimes students will talk to each other, while I am talking. I think it's fine if we're having a class discussion and someone talks without raising their hand. But sometimes they are obviously having a private conversation completely unrelated to what the class is about.

So far, all I do is talk louder, look at the ones who are talking, etc., and they usually got the message. I don't want to make a big deal out of it, and I don't want to seem angry.

But today it was pretty bad. One girl was showing another girl something on her computer. A couple of guys were looking at their phones and talking to each other.

Because it's a small class, I never lecture to the students. I try to have a conversation with them. I always ask them questions, ask their opinions, ask them for examples, etc. Sometimes this works great.

But today I felt really bad after the class. I was thinking maybe I have to be tougher. But I don't want to create negative feelings.

I'm giving them the midterm exam next week. So maybe if they do badly that will shock them into behaving better, and paying more attention in class. I have no idea. This is definitely a learning experience for me.
Proximity.

There is nothing that stops personal conversations during a class more effectively than walking near where students are doing it. You don't have to say a word.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Proximity.

There is nothing that stops personal conversations during a class more effectively than walking near where students are doing it. You don't have to say a word.
Good point. I have done that and I think it worked. Also looking right at them. Another thing I tried was saying "Sorry, I can't hear you. Could you talk louder so we all can hear?"

I want to avoid outright asking them to stop. Although if absolutely necessary I will.

I am hoping that last week was just a bad day, and it won't be like that anymore.

What helps most, probably, is getting them interested in something. I often show them short videos, for example, that are related to the subject but cute and interesting.

I try to ask them questions frequently, rather than just talk myself. I try to minimize my own talking, because I think they would get bored. I would get bored!

Old 03-05-2018, 03:50 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Walk up to their desk, slap a ruler loudly on the surface and demand they recite the ***(whatever you class is about they they should know). Do that three times and the monkey business will stop.

You will have a lot of dumb kids who do not belong in college and do not want to be there. My daughter is teaching her first class right now. It is an advanced class on how to gather data and manage and read/analyze statistics to reach conclusions. She had them do a mid year anonymous review to see how she was doing. Five kids wrote comments about the class material being too focused on statistics and data.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:45 PM

Today was good. So maybe it was just that one bad day, I hope.

But you really have to constantly pay attention to everything that is going on. It is not like those jobs I used to have, where you can hide in a cubicle.

I started off the class today with a cute video, so that may have helped get them in a good mood.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:08 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
I retired a couple of years ago, but wanted to work part time. I thought I would try being an adjunct college professor, since I have a Ph.D. So I have been teaching my first course (since graduate school many years ago) this spring.

Sometimes I feel like it's going well. It has been an awful lot of work, and there is a lot for me to learn about teaching a small class (under 20 students).

Since I guess the students will evaluate me, I want them to like me. But that means maybe I have not been strict enough. For example, sometimes students will talk to each other, while I am talking. I think it's fine if we're having a class discussion and someone talks without raising their hand. But sometimes they are obviously having a private conversation completely unrelated to what the class is about.

So far, all I do is talk louder, look at the ones who are talking, etc., and they usually got the message. I don't want to make a big deal out of it, and I don't want to seem angry.

But today it was pretty bad. One girl was showing another girl something on her computer. A couple of guys were looking at their phones and talking to each other.

Because it's a small class, I never lecture to the students. I try to have a conversation with them. I always ask them questions, ask their opinions, ask them for examples, etc. Sometimes this works great.

But today I felt really bad after the class. I was thinking maybe I have to be tougher. But I don't want to create negative feelings.

I'm giving them the midterm exam next week. So maybe if they do badly that will shock them into behaving better, and paying more attention in class. I have no idea. This is definitely a learning experience for me.
I have been an adjunct for about 20 years. This is an ongoing issue. Some teachers are very strict, and will scold students or talk to them after class. For me, this is not a good solution. While I am not their friend, I do feel that they are adults and should be treated like adults and in some sense, like equals. Over the years, I've mostly managed the problem by telling them on the first day of class what the expectations are. I specifically mention talking while I'm talking. I tell them that it really just bugs me when people talk while I'm talking or while another student has the floor because I hate having to shout over people, and I am old and can't hear well enough to hear other students over them. So I ask them please not to do that, because it really will annoy me. But I tell them everything in kind of a joking way, and when they do talk over me, I also tell them casually - and a little bit jokingly - that they are breaking "the rule." Or I might just look over at them until they notice me, and then smile and ask if they're ready. People usually stop right away, and there seem to be no hard feelings. I've sort of perfected this over the years so that I haven't had any major problems in a long time. I get very good reviews.

Basically, you have to handle the situation in a way that works for your personality - not what other people tell you to do. Teaching is largely a responsive act, and one that requires audience participation and being aware of how other people are feeling and reacting, and then choosing your actions accordingly.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I have been an adjunct for about 20 years. This is an ongoing issue. Some teachers are very strict, and will scold students or talk to them after class. For me, this is not a good solution. While I am not their friend, I do feel that they are adults and should be treated like adults and in some sense, like equals. Over the years, I've mostly managed the problem by telling them on the first day of class what the expectations are. I specifically mention talking while I'm talking. I tell them that it really just bugs me when people talk while I'm talking or while another student has the floor because I hate having to shout over people, and I am old and can't hear well enough to hear other students over them. So I ask them please not to do that, because it really will annoy me. But I tell them everything in kind of a joking way, and when they do talk over me, I also tell them casually - and a little bit jokingly - that they are breaking "the rule." Or I might just look over at them until they notice me, and then smile and ask if they're ready. People usually stop right away, and there seem to be no hard feelings. I've sort of perfected this over the years so that I haven't had any major problems in a long time. I get very good reviews.

Basically, you have to handle the situation in a way that works for your personality - not what other people tell you to do. Teaching is largely a responsive act, and one that requires audience participation and being aware of how other people are feeling and reacting, and then choosing your actions accordingly.
Yes I agree. I don't want to sound serious. Today I think I said "everyone please pay attention" at one point, but not in an angry tone.

I also think it's important to make sure and tell them when they did something good. That will motivate them to continue doing good things.

I am VERY much into following rules, always being on time, etc., in my own life. But I decided I would not impose my OCD traits on the students. I don't say anything if they come in late, or if their homework is late.

I have very little teaching experience, so I decided I would not try to do this perfectly. I am an amateur musician and singer, however, so I have a lot of experience trying to entertain people and keep their attention. I think maybe that helps.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Ok, I have to not be afraid to tell them, politely, that they have to go out in the hall if they need to have a private conversation.
This is noted in every one of my classes, in the first session when going over policies. Since phone usage is generally not permitted in class, if there is emergent reason one needs to take a call, they are to leave the room to do so.

It's good to treat students respectfully and like adults, and likewise, it's their responsibility to do the adult thing and go elsewhere to take a phone call without disruping others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching