Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 06:55 PM

472 posts, read 348,027 times

Advertisements

Curious with those teaching hybrid/ online high school or college? Are you all having trouble getting students turning things in? I am and many other teachers are worrying about higher failure rates due to this. Are you backing off covering topics in cirriculum? I think that may be a way but also we get worried that they won't be able to understand the materials for the next class. Like going for Algebra 1 to Algebra II. Just curious for some insight and hope all is well with the other teachers on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 08:29 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
Curious with those teaching hybrid/ online high school or college? Are you all having trouble getting students turning things in? I am and many other teachers are worrying about higher failure rates due to this. Are you backing off covering topics in cirriculum? I think that may be a way but also we get worried that they won't be able to understand the materials for the next class. Like going for Algebra 1 to Algebra II. Just curious for some insight and hope all is well with the other teachers on here.
I'm a parent of a 9th grader and we, my husband and I, have to be on him like white on rice.
He has excellent grades.. partly because of us. I check his google classroom everyday making sure he is on top of it. I don't do any work for him but we make sure he isn't falling behind. In math we signed up for purplemath.com and mathway.com to help him and it has worked wonders.
But I know many parents don't do this or simply don't have the time. I think this pandemic and remote learning hurts more kids than we even want to think about.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:46 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,231,744 times
San Diego schools are now 'woke' and progressive - they won't penalize students for turning in homework late (or at all)
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...acism/2425346/

Cuz, homework, is you know, racist.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I'm a parent of a 9th grader and we, my husband and I, have to be on him like white on rice.
He has excellent grades.. partly because of us. I check his google classroom everyday making sure he is on top of it. I don't do any work for him but we make sure he isn't falling behind. In math we signed up for purplemath.com and mathway.com to help him and it has worked wonders.
But I know many parents don't do this or simply don't have the time. I think this pandemic and remote learning hurts more kids than we even want to think about.
You are amazing and this must be hard to do with your other responsibilities as well! This is hard on everyone and thank you for what you do!

Old 11-17-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
San Diego schools are now 'woke' and progressive - they won't penalize students for turning in homework late (or at all)

Oh my gosh! That is crazy. So they don't have to turn it in? How can that be good for the students?

Old 11-17-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
You are amazing and this must be hard to do with your other responsibilities as well! This is hard on everyone and thank you for what you do!
Thank You!
It is tough and stressful. We both work full time hours but different shifts so one of us is home most of the time. We have a 6 year old as well and we really have to pay attention to her simply because those kids will not focus or sit still. The first 15 minutes the teacher has to tell little "Elliot" to stop running around and sit still.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post

Ridiculous.
Here in Chicago only 1 out of 6 minority students are actually attending school online. This is horrible. What are they doing instead??
This is not good at all.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Ridiculous.
Here in Chicago only 1 out of 6 minority students are actually attending school online. This is horrible. What are they doing instead??
This is not good at all.
That's the good question! What are they doing. Usually if the young are not attending school they are up to no good!

Old 11-21-2020, 11:46 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Seems the practice of Late-Turn-In = Zero is banned in K-12?

Very Bad Practice to teach the students this.

Most serious Colleges still practice Late = Zero.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Seems the practice of Late-Turn-In = Zero is banned in K-12?

Very Bad Practice to teach the students this.

Most serious Colleges still practice Late = Zero.
I agree! In college, its a zero. But I guess too many would get's F's because of this. Then students go to college unprepared. You are right on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching