Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:57 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times

Advertisements

[quote=k350;5050801]Ok, again, what logical reason?

I do not see why someone needs a master degree to teach K-12. quote]

you are right to some degree. Especially because, for example, I have a bachelors in geography, I can go back and get my masters in education and be a teacher. so what's the bachelor in geography for? And also, especially for Kindergarten and 1st through at least 5th grade.

At the same time, i do feel that a masters should be necessary for teachers at the high school level. The subject matter they teach is VERY complex and it is very important that the students understand it as it is the basis for higher learning. A chem teacher should really know his chemistry, and really know how to teach well. If either part is lacking, the students are going to suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 10:24 PM

151 posts, read 693,516 times
[quote=mommytotwo;5052293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Ok, again, what logical reason?

I do not see why someone needs a master degree to teach K-12. quote]

you are right to some degree. Especially because, for example, I have a bachelors in geography, I can go back and get my masters in education and be a teacher. so what's the bachelor in geography for? And also, especially for Kindergarten and 1st through at least 5th grade.

At the same time, i do feel that a masters should be necessary for teachers at the high school level. The subject matter they teach is VERY complex and it is very important that the students understand it as it is the basis for higher learning. A chem teacher should really know his chemistry, and really know how to teach well. If either part is lacking, the students are going to suffer.
I agree that a Masters shouldnt be needed for elementary but yes H.S. is a different ball game! I guess my point is there are so many people out there who would make great teachers but cant afford college tuition etc.. there should be a way for them and it would also help the teacher shortage.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:49 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renee_cal View Post
I just had this discussion with a friend. She has an associates and would love to teach but of course you need a Bachelors. I wathinking wouldnt it make since to allow those with an associates to train to become a provisional teacher as long as they are enrolled in a BA program and the state they live in would pay for it. In return they would have to work for that state for a certain amount of time? what are ur thoughts?
To get back to the original topic, I think your idea could be a good one if the provisional teacher spent some months shadowing and working in an accomplished teacher's classroom first, and receiving the ongoing support of a mentor in the school in addition to taking their ed courses outside of school. I also think it should not be a program open to anybody - provisional teachers would have to interview and make a strong case for their inclusion in the program, and be monitored on an ongoing basis.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:54 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
Yes, it is called student teaching and takes at least 2 semesters of your undergrad work, before you graduate.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
To get back to the original topic, I think your idea could be a good one if the provisional teacher spent some months shadowing and working in an accomplished teacher's classroom first, and receiving the ongoing support of a mentor in the school in addition to taking their ed courses outside of school. I also think it should not be a program open to anybody - provisional teachers would have to interview and make a strong case for their inclusion in the program, and be monitored on an ongoing basis.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:57 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
If there is a career you really want, you will find a way to get it. Many, many states (like mine in NC) offer FREE college for all 4 years, provided you agree to teach for the 4 years immediately following graduation.

Do some google searches, there are all sorts of programs out there, Teach For America comes to mind.

Dawn

[quote=renee_cal;5053952]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post

I agree that a Masters shouldnt be needed for elementary but yes H.S. is a different ball game! I guess my point is there are so many people out there who would make great teachers but cant afford college tuition etc.. there should be a way for them and it would also help the teacher shortage.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:52 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Although doesn't a teacher on a provisional certificate count against a system under No Child Left Behind? The provisional teacher is not considered "highly qualified".

Old 08-30-2008, 11:21 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
I like the move towards requiring teachers to hold master's degrees. Then again, I'm coming from a state where high school football coaches additionally teaching chemistry classes is an accepted and common practice.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:36 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Yes, it is called student teaching
Really?

Old 09-02-2008, 03:59 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,513 times
I am not sure what state you are in, but many private schools will allow you to teach with an Associates degree or less. The school I worked in in NH had one teacher in a K-3 program with no degree whatsoever. Private schools get to make their own rules about credentials, so the requirements are often less.

My sister's best friend (with a Bachelors in Geography) is currently teaching first grade in a parochial school without a teaching certificate. (since she failed the test twice) People always think that private schools are "better", but really the teachers can have very little college experience.

That being said, how hard is it to teach a group of elementary students? I hear the same argument about homeschooling: how are you qualified to teach your own kids? If you can have a bachelor's degree in ANYTHING and still be able to teach, how is that helpful? How are you "qualified"? All teachers need to know is how to read and have good crowd control skills in my opinion!

Old 09-02-2008, 04:20 PM

221 posts, read 994,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
That being said, how hard is it to teach a group of elementary students?

You are not serious, are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching