Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 10:52 AM

271 posts, read 988,068 times

Advertisements

Help! I am a teacher at my own child's school. In fact, I am one of his "specials" teachers, so I actually teach my son a subject 3 times a week. Here in lies the problem...there is a kid in my son's class that has been somewhat of a problem (being disruptive in class, talking out of turn, trying to be the class clown, just being generally obnoxious). For my own son's sake (fear of reprisal) I have certainly tried to stop any disruption during class, but not made a huge deal out of it. Anyway, last week the kid was being particulary obnxious and made a pretty rude comment about my own son during class. I flashed the kid the infamous "teacher look" and left it at that. Later on (while I was still stewing about the whole incident) it occurred to me that if he had made the same remark about any other student, I would have sent him directly to the principal without a second thought... I had clearly not done so as a way to "protect" my own child.
What do you think I should do??? Should I report this incident to the administration and get them involved in this whole mess or just try to make the best of it and try to "grin and bear it" for the rest of the last 6 weeks of school???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 11:03 AM

806 posts, read 2,959,742 times
I think that you, as a teacher, should handle it. When I was in school, it seemed the lazy teachers "wrote kids up." The good teachers, by the end of the year, managed to put a stop to it by the end of the year. Try different strategies to handle it between yourself and the child. Let your kid handle his problem by himself if needed, which where I grew up, doing onto him as he onto you.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:00 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
I disagree...I always make every attempt to handle discipline issues within my classroom, but there are violations that should be "zero tolerance" and should be referred to school administrators - so it depends on how severe the comment actually was. My kids aren't often referred or "sent to the office"...so they know it's serious when I actually do resort to that. I will try everything else first - isolation within my classroom; time-out in another teacher's classroom; taking away priviledges like recess and free time; rewarding the rest of the class for good behavior; etc.

But there are teachers that over use the office referral. I wouldn't call them lazy teachers...probably more like fed-up teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching