Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:51 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times

Advertisements

I am a school teacher and the sad reality is that our country seems to be on a demise simply from bad parenting and its increasing secularization. Since the 1960s we have been on a demise because, as the at home mom became employed, that took away time she had for PROPERLY rearing her children. I don't want anyone to think that I am against mothers working, especially in a day and age where we need two incomes for a family to make it. But when more moms went into the work force that took away time for seeing how well their children were doing in school.

Also, we forget that we have a lot of baby mama drama going on, and it seems as if it's a badge of honor for people to have children out of wedlock. Again, the family is not the traditional family that it once was with both parents living in the household together. Some people are choosing to be single parents complicating the family structure even further.

Many of our American youth, don't value education the way other youth from other country's value education. Just look at our test scores. Here in CA all high school students have to take a high school exit exam, which assesses students up to 8 or 9th grade curriculum. Yet we have a large number of students who aren't passing because some of them don't pay attention in class, aren't FLUENT in English, and don't give a rat's booty about that exam.

If you walk on any high school campus, be it in Watts, CA or some upper middle class high school in Virginia, you will see some similarities, the kids appear uninterested in school. They would rather be texting each other, smoking blunt, or planning for the next weekend party. ARe teachers responsible for teaching morality? It sure seems like it when we tend to be blamed also for the reason kids are overweight for not getting enough Physical Education.

So what is a teacher to do in an age where NO CHILD IS SUPPOSED TO BE LEFT BEHIND, when schools that aren't performing, are not performing because those schools aren't getting the necessary resources that they need to help improve those test scores, and some parents who aren't educated themselves can't help their own children do the homework?

As far as the teacher's union, the union's main goal is to protect teachers jobs, salaries, and benefits. Many times I think people tend to forget what the unions' job is. I pay $70 a month to ensure that I get my COLA raise and help keep the cost of my benefits to a level where it will still be worth to come to work every day.

The bad thing about the teacher's union is when they become so political that the union is willing to endorse primarily democratic candidates as if all teachers are democrats, and I strongly feel that our republican teachers are left with no choice but to grin and bear those endorsements or be labelled a trouble maker.

I think a lot of time people get mad at the teachers for some of the things that the unions suggest that we do, so that we can be fairly compensated for the many things that we do and have to deal with. There are teachers who work under some of the worst conditions that our great and rich nation allows to go on. Let's not forget that some of these neighborhoods and schools that teachers are working at are not your safest places to live and work. So how can a teacher do an effective job if he or she is scared of being shot or beaten up by a student?

Also, We have to look at how some school districts are mishandling tax payers money by letting ADMINISTRATORS drive in fancy district cars, have cell phone expenses paid, all expense paid Administrator's retreat, and have a clause written in their contracts that says if they are dismissed for any reason, they can still earn their six figure salary, which no teacher has written in his or her contract, while the district has to pay the replacement administrator's salary. I never hear anyone complain about what the administrators do. It's almost as if the administrators can get away with making six figures, and teachers who are meat of the school district are supposed to just accept what's left over.

I don't see a long line of people who want to go into teaching. YOU WANNA KNOW WHY? Most people know that it's a very tough job, and that you have to be a special person to deal with the little Johnnys or Sues who aren't motivated to learn, who's parents aren't working with you to help their child do their homework, and blame you for not letting their child go to the bathroom for the 8th time that school day.

Teachers can't be hired because of nepotism. In California and depending on the age group a teacher wants to teach, the teacher has to have at least a BA or BS degree, passed the CBEST Test which is a basic skills test, passed the CSET and RICA Tests for teaching reading in elementary school, or single subject test for secondary teachers, as well as go through a criminal background check and interview by a panel of teachers, administrators, and parents. Then after the teacher is hired, he or she has to go through a two year induction program for beginning teachers so that they can get the necessary help to remain in the profession. My father can be the superintendent of the district I want to work for, and if I don't have all of those things done, I can't be legally hired or become tenured.

As far as bad teachers who are there for their check, it amazes me when a doctor won't see a patient because he or she doesn't have medical insurance, that's ok. I wonder why? Isn't the doctor supposed to care and be willing to help all sick who comes to his office? If not, then is he being a doctor who is just there thinking about his bottom line? I don't think it's fair to expect a teacher to work for pennies on the dollar and feel that if their union is doing its job by fighting for higher pay and benefits, that should make the teacher a bad person. Teachers have families and want to EARN a LIVIABLE wage, and depending on what part of the country that teacher lives in, he or she isn't making a livable wage by a long shot.

All most teachers ask for is to make an attractive salary to keep the revolving door from constantly ocurring. In the first 2 years of teaching, 50% of the teachers leave the profession all together once they realize that the little money they do make isn't worth the stress, the politics, and the bs that most school districts put all teachers under because of the accountablity in place as a result of NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND.

I feel very blessed and fortunate to have a union who is looking out for my best interest in terms of salaries, health care, and job protection. We live in a day and age where if you don't get a decent education, you are at a severe disadvantage because the youth from Asia are taking our high tech and medical jobs by storm, simply because we live in a nation where our youth would rather play XBOX 360 instead of cracking open a book and doing their homework that their teachers have told them to do.

So how can we put a price tag on our future? We can't. How can we ensure that we have the best teachers in the classroom, who are WELL educated, motivated to teach, and have a true calling to teach? YOU PAY THEM WELL AND GIVE THEM THE NECESSARY RESOURCES TO DO THEIR JOBS WELL. It takes a village to raise a child, and teachers can't do it alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:11 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,193 times
Thanks for sharing (sincerely). You hang in too.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:16 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
So much has changed since the 1960's. How can you blame mom going to work? It's only one thing that has changed. Other changes include loosening of morals, increased divorce rate, a change to child centered parenting (I don't think the problem is too little time but too much)....Why pick on working moms? Many of us are great moms. Quality of parenting doesn't depend on punching a time clock.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:33 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
The CTA has manipulated and flat out lied in every single election including the one coming up on May 19. When you complain about Administration as well you should, you act as if they are not a part of the same educational system, when have the teachers stood up and publicly criticized Administrators. CLEAN YOUR OWN HOUSE, then perhaps your whining will merit some credibility. To hear the teachers on this forum talk, they are the victims of everyone else’s irresponsibility and lack of morals, while they are the hardest working, lowest paid, most disrespected, bunch of saints, and martyrs the world has ever seen. Get off your pedestals. You are part of what is causing the downfall of this country. You have allowed yourselves to be a tool of a government that wants to dumb down the people so they can be controlled and manipulated. A democracy cannot function without an educated population, and a free press to inform the citizens. These were once sacred positions of trust on which our freedoms relied. At the present time both those pillars of democracy have been removed from our system. That is why we are in this death spiral.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:31 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
When you point the finger at others don't be surprised to see one aimed at you.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Agreed. Especailly when you start blaming the parents, who are, after all, paying your salary, along with the rest of the taxpayers.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:15 PM

271 posts, read 988,418 times
I agree, for the most part, with your post. I do, however, disagree with the working mom bit. IMO working moms seem to be the most rational, level-headed ones out there. It always seems to me that the SAHM with nothing better to do, are the ones that are "involved" in school simply as a way to socialize with other SAHM and see their own children as never doing anything wrong.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Agreed. Especailly when you start blaming the parents, who are, after all, paying your salary, along with the rest of the taxpayers.
Taxes go towards many things, not just teachers' salaries. We pay taxes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
When you point the finger at others don't be surprised to see one aimed at you.
Pointing fingers and the blame game is a big part of the problem. Parents, teachers, admininstrators, policy makers, ect need to work together towards real improvements in schools and in the children's lives. Are parents to blame? Yes, some are. Those who do not support their children and won't even send their child to school are to blame because they are not giving the child a chance.

Are some teachers to blame? Yes. There are teachers in the profession for the steady pay, summers off, and benefits. Some don't give a damn about their students.

We as a society (all of us tax payers) need to get together and focus on what can be changed. We can all be blamed in a sense.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree with you on teachers not blaming RESPONSIBLE PARENTS. Actually the homeowners in my local school district pay my salary or my parent's landlords. It takes a village to raise a child, and unfortunately too many times parents aren't held accountable for their children's learning, in terms helping them do homework, or even meeting their child's teacher. I have had parents who flat out never came to any parent conferences, even when I rescheduled them around their busy schedules. So in a sense, what are teachers supposed to do when that child's parent doesn't ever show up or even call to reschedule an appointment, and flat out avoids me, and their child is the one who is low achieving, moves from school to school, and his parent seems unconcerned about it. Is that fair to that child or that child's teacher?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The CTA has manipulated and flat out lied in every single election including the one coming up on May 19. When you complain about Administration as well you should, you act as if they are not a part of the same educational system, when have the teachers stood up and publicly criticized Administrators. CLEAN YOUR OWN HOUSE, then perhaps your whining will merit some credibility. To hear the teachers on this forum talk, they are the victims of everyone else’s irresponsibility and lack of morals, while they are the hardest working, lowest paid, most disrespected, bunch of saints, and martyrs the world has ever seen. Get off your pedestals. You are part of what is causing the downfall of this country. You have allowed yourselves to be a tool of a government that wants to dumb down the people so they can be controlled and manipulated. A democracy cannot function without an educated population, and a free press to inform the citizens. These were once sacred positions of trust on which our freedoms relied. At the present time both those pillars of democracy have been removed from our system. That is why we are in this death spiral.
I agree with you. SO WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION? In my opinion, it seems like a group of people want to keep some of our people illiterate, dumb as you say, and not able to THINK for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching