Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Eh, look at the title! He is stopping his lectures to harass students. That takes away from other students too who are trying. He needs to have a complaint against him.

obvious troll is obvious
Since when is stopping a lecture to ask a student about the material harassment? I agree there are better ways to go about it rather then asking "what did I just say", but it is not harassment and if it was I was harassed by every teacher I had since 1st grade. Aside from that no teacher should teach just to the top of the class, they should divide their attention and time between all the students including those that seem lost or unattentive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 02:19 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
I just love these new Job Titles; "Administrative Support Jobs at small companys" We are probably reffering to the job as a office clerk or sales clerk.

These students are reportadly new immigrants (barely with a HS let alone college background) to speak of. Some of the words are the OP and not mine.

A vocational State or City sanctioned program is not a University or College level Education...only work/job related.

Am I right or am I wrong? If so to what extent?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:02 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Since when is stopping a lecture to ask a student about the material harassment? I agree there are better ways to go about it rather then asking "what did I just say", but it is not harassment and if it was I was harassed by every teacher I had since 1st grade. Aside from that no teacher should teach just to the top of the class, they should divide their attention and time between all the students including those that seem lost or unattentive.
I think people are getting confused between a Teacher (1-12) and an Instructor/Professor.

Teachers are there to make sure that everyone gets the information in the course and oversees children, making sure that no one is left behind, and everyone gets the core concepts before moving on.

Professors are there to present the course and the adult, who pays to be there, attends and either meets the course requirements, or doesn't. The course is not about pandering to the lowest common denominator, but to provide information regarding a specific topic so those who wish to get the most out of it can. Just like real life.

The problem is the OP is teaching, when they should be instructing. You want to teach and be someone's parent, and make them a good little citizen, go to grade school. If you want to prepare adults for the job market, treat them like adults. Do what you're supposed to do in class, if not, fail. Welcome to the real world.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:27 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I think people are getting confused between a Teacher (1-12) and an Instructor/Professor.

Teachers are there to make sure that everyone gets the information in the course and oversees children, making sure that no one is left behind, and everyone gets the core concepts before moving on.

Professors are there to present the course and the adult, who pays to be there, attends and either meets the course requirements, or doesn't. The course is not about pandering to the lowest common denominator, but to provide information regarding a specific topic so those who wish to get the most out of it can. Just like real life.

The problem is the OP is teaching, when they should be instructing. You want to teach and be someone's parent, and make them a good little citizen, go to grade school. If you want to prepare adults for the job market, treat them like adults. Do what you're supposed to do in class, if not, fail. Welcome to the real world.
Thank you!

Old 07-01-2009, 03:36 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
If you have high expectations there are those that will reach for them. if they are low everyone will simple meet them by being. Set the bar high and see how much you can get. As to lectures, get someone you trust to sit in and critique your lecture. is it interesting? or does it cause brain death? Just because you think you are good doesnt mean you are. I have one word that appears 8 times in this post can you identify it? Were you paying attention?

Old 07-01-2009, 04:01 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
^
The word you are looking for AONE is looking for is you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

Depends on the college. If it is one of those mega universities then yes you are right. On the other hand if it is a small cc or a small private liberal arts college you are wrong. Professors at these institutions are there specifically to make sure everyone is engaged. The point of going to somewhere like a small cc or liberal arts college is individualized attention. It is not babying people so much as it is making sure everyone is engaged to have the most productive class possible.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:16 AM

804 posts, read 1,360,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I am constantly learning about class room management by teaching my own classes and attending other college level courses. What an experience.

One frustration and challenge during the lecture part of the class is trying to determine if the students are engaged and paying attention. I can look for non verbal cues and of course test them but I want to be able to adjust my lecture based on continuing feedback from the students. Sometime no matter how hard I try to be interesting and informative I feel I am not connecting with a significant number of students. So I will look out into the class and pick out a student who appears distracted or bored and say, "tell the class what I just said" Usually they cant tell us and get red faced and angry and some students feel that I am being unfair.

I tell the students in the class that if they are not going to attend all class sessions or participate in class and pay attention, please drop the class immediately. What do you think?

Weekend Traveler,

What kind of classes do you teach? Are these college level, at a High School, community college, university? And are they required classes, or are they elective? If elective, are those classes considered an easy A?

The reason I ask these questions, is that there are a lot of motivations for a student to join a class. With required classes, I have had to sit through classes that I had no interest on, done the homework, prepared for the exams, but during a lot of the lectures I would not give the impression of being really involved with the class, since I really wasn't.

Also, for most of my undergrad I worked 9PM-6AM, and then went to school during the day. I don't think it would be really fair for my teacher on my 3PM class to be poking fun at me or trying to embarrass me for zoning out or for having problems following the class, since at this point I had been awake for 18 hours, after sleeping round 4 hours/day. I had to take the class for my degree, so I had no choice. I usually explained teachers my situation, and most of them understood, but not all students who have special circumstances do the same.

If you are teaching college/university classes, isn't it part of the learning experience the fact that there is no more babysitting by your professors/parents. Every student now makes their own choices and they are responsible for the consequences. So if a student can go to your class, not pay attention and get a grade that is satisfactory to him, why should you call him on it. It was his decision not to pay attention and the is the one who is going to have to respond for the results of his decision. I would think that the only time that calling a student on it would be when they are interfering with the class.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:41 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I am constantly learning about class room management by teaching my own classes and attending other college level courses. What an experience.

One frustration and challenge during the lecture part of the class is trying to determine if the students are engaged and paying attention. I can look for non verbal cues and of course test them but I want to be able to adjust my lecture based on continuing feedback from the students. Sometime no matter how hard I try to be interesting and informative I feel I am not connecting with a significant number of students. So I will look out into the class and pick out a student who appears distracted or bored and say, "tell the class what I just said" Usually they cant tell us and get red faced and angry and some students feel that I am being unfair.

I tell the students in the class that if they are not going to attend all class sessions or participate in class and pay attention, please drop the class immediately. What do you think?

I assume you teach at the college level? Otherwise, please disregard the following:

You're being paid to teach, not do social engineering. if someone is not paying attention in class, that's his business. He was a slackard before your class, and will be a slackard after the class. Whatever he gets from the class he deserves.

I have 2 college degrees, and have always been highly annoyed at the instructors who try to somehow "resocialize" certain class members by putting them on the spot, doing what you do, ask them "what did I just say?' That wastes everyone else's time. If a slackard wants to waste his own time daydreaming while paying for a class, let him be. But don't waste everyone else's time berrating him.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:56 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
As a student, I know students hate when the teacher does that. All you do is draw attention to the fact that they're not paying attention. Do you teach high school or college? If you teach high school, there's a high chance the class is mandatory and students can't drop the class. Even if you teach college, the class might be mandatory for the student. Regardless, the student has the right to stay in the class. Who knows, they might end up passing the class and getting credit. Then it would have been a shame if they dropped the class. You have no idea how much work they put into the class outside the classroom. If the student is bored, maybe you should try a different approach to teaching.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:37 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
The <bored> student(s) might just not care about the class. I've been in a lot of those. You can't force someone to be interested in a subject that is poorly taught, dry, tedious, or boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
I assume you teach at the college level? Otherwise, please disregard the following:

You're being paid to teach, not do social engineering. if someone is not paying attention in class, that's his business. He was a slackard before your class, and will be a slackard after the class. Whatever he gets from the class he deserves.

I have 2 college degrees, and have always been highly annoyed at the instructors who try to somehow "resocialize" certain class members by putting them on the spot, doing what you do, ask them "what did I just say?' That wastes everyone else's time. If a slackard wants to waste his own time daydreaming while paying for a class, let him be. But don't waste everyone else's time berrating him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching