Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:19 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I am constantly learning about class room management by teaching my own classes and attending other college level courses. What an experience.

One frustration and challenge during the lecture part of the class is trying to determine if the students are engaged and paying attention. I can look for non verbal cues and of course test them but I want to be able to adjust my lecture based on continuing feedback from the students. Sometime no matter how hard I try to be interesting and informative I feel I am not connecting with a significant number of students. So I will look out into the class and pick out a student who appears distracted or bored and say, "tell the class what I just said" Usually they cant tell us and get red faced and angry and some students feel that I am being unfair.

I tell the students in the class that if they are not going to attend all class sessions or participate in class and pay attention, please drop the class immediately. What do you think?
If I had a teacher who did this I would certainly comment on it - negatively - on the evaluation. While no longer a student, I did pay attention to class, and would have been extremely frustrated to have a teacher waste time nagging a student who, although distracted or bored, was not in any way harming my educational experience. What a waste of time for those students who ARE trying to learn. It's one thing to tell students that you expect them to pay attention, etc., it's another to try to force interaction in such a way. I would strongly urge you to rethink your teaching techniques.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 05:01 PM

853 posts, read 4,038,257 times
I agree with most of the comments here and you received some great suggestions too. Try finding ways to encourage them to pay attention, instead of embarrassing them and using up class time for those that are listening. Also, my son is not college age yet, however, he looks bored and distracted even when he is listening and interested, so maybe that is the case with some of these students as well.

Last, I do not have a teaching background, but if my students looked bored, I might try a short survey for suggestions on what might make the class more interesting, or even a class discussion. Once somebody is a part of something, they may be more likely to participate more. Just a thought.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:34 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I tell the students in the class that if they are not going to attend all class sessions or participate in class and pay attention, please drop the class immediately. What do you think?

I say kudos to you, my friend.

I have to train our customers frequently on our products, and man even as adults working people don't pay attention. This is your Job man, you need to pay attention to this stuff.

My training sessions are more informal and usually groups of 6 to 10. But half the time a good chunk of people and just filling space.

I'm constantly taking tech courses to stay current, and I put a lot of effort into it, as I have this annoying and pesky habit of eating

Old 06-22-2009, 08:41 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,744 times
You complain a lot for a teacher.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:43 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
You complain a lot for a teacher.
I don't complain, I pent!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:59 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Weekend Traveller;

I have a question that wishes to be answered.

From your posts I get the Impression you have a regular (non school related job) day job and also a evening job teaching somewhere.

Is the evening job in a State certified Two Yr City Jr College or Four Yr College/University with night classes.

Or...is it a private owned trade school we see advertised for those who seek a Degree of some sort but not recognized at a Two or Four School for college credits.

Trade schools hire people to teach their particular field be what it may be...science...engineering etc.

Wandering minds would like to know the expertise or educational background to teach these Adults at night school.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:18 PM

985 posts, read 2,601,322 times
I've had teachers do this, it's annoying and distracts from the topic at hand for those that are actually interested in the subject. I don't recommend using this approach.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:43 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times
It is government run program but I do not want to give out to much information or you will track it down and try to get me fired.

My background is in career education, and I have ten years of training and teaching experience. I am told I am one of their most admired teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Weekend Traveller;

I have a question that wishes to be answered.

From your posts I get the Impression you have a regular (non school related job) day job and also a evening job teaching somewhere.

Is the evening job in a State certified Two Yr City Jr College or Four Yr College/University with night classes.

Or...is it a private owned trade school we see advertised for those who seek a Degree of some sort but not recognized at a Two or Four School for college credits.

Trade schools hire people to teach their particular field be what it may be...science...engineering etc.

Wandering minds would like to know the expertise or educational background to teach these Adults at night school.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:04 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Not trying to be noisy or anything.

I have a degree and am a expert in two different fields but do not have "Teaching Credentials".

I do have extensive knowledge of two fields of which I could be talking about all day long but as to Teaching Credentials...nothing.

You never answered if your night teaching was at any of the three I mentioned.

Was not looking for any specific named State College or City Jr College...just an idea as to the type of evening Adult classes of your bored students.

A simple State/City Jr College/Private business School would be sufficient.

If the job is a state sanctioned (getting people off the dole/welfare compulory) school can I understand.

I would compare that to the Private Business people that run the traffic school to make money from those who receive a traffic ticket. Background with NO teaching credentials.

Too many people have questioned your teaching procedures and made me wonder why.

Steve

Old 06-22-2009, 01:11 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
I find it funny that someone would comment negatively on this during an evaluation.

"At least once per classroom session, the professor would call on one of the students and expect them to know what he had just been talking about. This is simply unacceptable. Although I failed the class, I will not retake it with this professor. Next time, I will choose a class where I am passed because of attendance, rather than one where I am expected to learn something."

Classic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching