Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:09 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Not quite half LOL! Well, we can pay as much as $200 a month for heat in the winter if it's a particularly cold month. Anchorage is pretty moderate compared to Fairbanks & interior Alaska.

I'd love to have a summer electric bill even close to $200.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 10:24 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I'd love to have a summer electric bill even close to $200.
Ouch, that is why I try to avoid using the AC as much as possible...though there is only so much you can do with windows and ceiling fans.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Ouch, that is why I try to avoid using the AC as much as possible...though there is only so much you can do with windows and ceiling fans.

Well, when it's 102 degrees outside, AC isn't an option, it's a necessity.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Well, when it's 102 degrees outside, AC isn't an option, it's a necessity.
That or sitting on your front porch with a cool drink. That is what I do when it gets that hot.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
That or sitting on your front porch with a cool drink. That is what I do when it gets that hot.

You sit? In the heat?

Why?

Old 12-20-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
You sit? In the heat?

Why?
Same reason people sit in saunas. Moving about in that heat, with the humidity that almost always accompanies it here, is not a good time and will not feel very good either.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Same reason people sit in saunas. Moving about in that heat, with the humidity that almost always accompanies it here, is not a good time and will not feel very good either.

No, I mean why would you sit outside, in the heat, voluntarily?

Why wouldn't you be inside, with a fan and the AC blowing on you?

Humans weren't meant to live in Godforsaken state with its miserable weather. It's half the reason I am going back to school, a convenient excuse to get out.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
No, I mean why would you sit outside, in the heat, voluntarily?

Why wouldn't you be inside, with a fan and the AC blowing on you?

Humans weren't meant to live in Godforsaken state with its miserable weather. It's half the reason I am going back to school, a convenient excuse to get out.
Quite a few people do it here, in fact I do not think I have lived in even an apartment that has not had at least an outdoor sitting area. One's porch is a great place to socialize during the summer as long as you have a cool drink, maybe a fan, and are just sitting there. Granted I probably would not do it if it was just me, but if you get a few people together it can be quite nice.

I am the opposite with school. I ruled out a ton of schools because I have no intention of going somewhere where it is cold and overcast much of the year. Not seeing the sun throughout the winter and having snows well into April/May...now that is Godforsaken miserable weather.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 12-20-2009 at 11:03 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Quite a few people do it here, in fact I do not think I have lived in even an apartment that has not had at least an outdoor sitting area. One's porch is a great place to socialize during the summer as long as you have a cool drink, maybe a fan, and are just sitting their. Granted I probably would not do it if it was just me, but if you get a few people together it can be quite nice.

I am the opposite with school. I ruled out a ton of schools because I have no intention of going somewhere where it is cold and overcast much of the year.

I pray for an acceptance in Seattle or Boulder.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I pray for an acceptance in Seattle or Boulder.
I on the on the other hand pray for acceptance to ASU, U of AZ, or UNC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching