Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 11:38 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,805,008 times

Advertisements

I don't know about Shelby Co, but in Hamilton Co there is a ban for the whole summer (May-September). People burn anyway, but if they were my neighbors, I'd turn them in. That's just insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 11:47 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This was in a very small town of about 2,000, I think, in northwest TN at the KY border. As I said before, Knox County will come and put out the fire, whether you paid the fee or not. And in Knoxville, firefighting is paid through your taxes.
Yes, I know. I probably wasn't clear in my post. I was just trying to show that, big or small, a town or county can fine the resident who didn't pay his fee instead of letting his home burn.

I watched this video of a speech made by the neighboring Fire Chief, Bob Reavis. It takes 26 minutes to watch, but explains a lot. Please note that he says "Praise the Lord for the Federal Government."

He blames the family for not paying the subscription, but he added that he doesn't agree with the way they're handled. He says that this isn't anything new and that at least 30% or more of homes in his area could burn down because of this program, since many people aren't paying the subscription fee.

I'm still confused about why the pets died. The fire must have spread very quickly. The first thing I'd do if I saw a flame in my house is get all people and pets out. Correction: The Fire Chief said it took a while for the fire to spread.

The Fire Chief also didn't answer what would have happened if a baby was burned to death because the 911 Operator said they weren't on the list of residents who paid their subscriptions. To me this is a really good example of what can happen with limited government intervention.

[URL="http://statter911.com/2010/10/07/raw-video-neighboring-chief-speaks-out-about-fire-service-in-obion-county-tennessee-bob-reavis-says-firefighters-have-been-trying-to-ditch-the-subscription-fees-but-the-county-want-more-of-them/"]Neighboring Chief Speaks Out About Fire Service
[/URL]
I want to mention that someone asked how long it takes to check the subscription list. The Fire Chief agrees that it takes valuable time since a fire can spread quickly. (what if the computers are down? what if someone forgot to enter the correct address?)

Last edited by justNancy; 10-08-2010 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: added highlighted correction

Old 10-08-2010, 12:41 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,196,736 times
When one uses enough-----what if's ---they might succeed making the fire dept the villan and the jerk who started the fire the good guy.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:45 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kar View Post
This is pretty sad. What in the world was the county thinking.

No pay, no spray: Firefighters let home burn - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com

How entitled are people who think they should get whatever they want without paying into the system?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:46 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, I know. I probably wasn't clear in my post. I was just trying to show that, big or small, a town or county can fine the resident who didn't pay his fee instead of letting his home burn.

I watched this video of a speech made by the neighboring Fire Chief, Bob Reavis. It takes 26 minutes to watch, but explains a lot. Please note that he says "Praise the Lord for the Federal Government."

He blames the family for not paying the subscription, but he added that he doesn't agree with the way they're handled. He says that this isn't anything new and that at least 30% or more of homes in his area could burn down because of this program, since many people aren't paying the subscription fee.

I'm still confused about why the pets died. The fire must have spread very quickly. The first thing I'd do if I saw a flame in my house is get all people and pets out. Correction: The Fire Chief said it took a while for the fire to spread.

The Fire Chief also didn't answer what would have happened if a baby was burned to death because the 911 Operator said they weren't on the list of residents who paid their subscriptions. To me this is a really good example of what can happen with limited government intervention.

Neighboring Chief Speaks Out About Fire Service

I want to mention that someone asked how long it takes to check the subscription list. The Fire Chief agrees that it takes valuable time since a fire can spread quickly. (what if the computers are down? what if someone forgot to enter the correct address?)
If his home and his pets and his family were so important to him, WHY DIDN'T HE PAY THE DANG FEE?!!!!

Old 10-08-2010, 12:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Its terrifying to know they would have let a baby burn to death in there too.
They've already made it clear, several times, that their policy is to intervene no matter what if human life is at stake. So you can drop the theatrics already.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They've already made it clear, several times, that their policy is to intervene no matter what if human life is at stake. So you can drop the theatrics already.
...and how did the 911 operator know this for certain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If his home and his pets and his family were so important to him, WHY DIDN'T HE PAY THE DANG FEE?!!!!
He should have paid the fee - no question about it. His son also shouldn't have been so careless burning trash. However, what about common decency?

The more I learn about the actual course of events, the more I question the entire story. I didn't realize this was a doublewide. The national news said "modular" which is different. I lived in a 12 x 60 singlewide for many years and had 2 fire extinguishers. Only a fool would burn trash near one. In any case, letting a house burn down is a cruel punishment, even for a moron.

Regarding the pets, I didn't blame that on the firefighters in my last post. I was asking why the pets weren't rescued immediately by the owner when the fire began. The Fire Chief said it took a long time for the fire to spread. When I first posted, I didn't realize how the fire started, since the news had been changing by the hour.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
...and how did the 911 operator know this for certain?
Gee I dunno, maybe they, like, asked?

Old 10-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Gee I dunno, maybe they, like, asked?
Well, then I guess you're admitting that they knew 4 living creatures were in the house?

Old 10-08-2010, 03:27 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Well, then I guess you're admitting that they knew 4 living creatures were in the house?
??? They probably asked if there was anyone in the house, I doubt they bothered to ask about animals.
By the time the fire trucks got there the blaze was probably pretty well under way. If it were your spouse, or child, or parent responding to this fire would you really expect them to risk their lives to save an animal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee