Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times

Advertisements

well im planning on moving south...
new england winters and taxes are just not for me...
and some of the areas on my list are in tn...
first let me say what im looking for in a place to live first as most of this trip will be to scout out towns as possible relocation spots.

im looking for rural, natural, quiet and unnassuming. friendly people (ive heard alot about how unfriendly people are to northeners and i simply dont belive that people are just plain mean for the sake of it, i belive alot of it has to do with the attitude of people relocating to the area..."well in the north" yeah well you moved away from there for a reaosn, dont like it, move back" is my personal opinion, i HATE poeple who relocate to an area and then whine that its not like their home town)
im planning on having a small semi self sufficient homestead, chickens, goats, rabbits, my dogs and veggies. country life is what im looking for...
im not a social butterfly and dont need clubs, or bars...
id like to be within 1 hour to a good medical center, and about the same distance to some shoping (local boutiques and larger scale stores like a walmart, grocery stores ect) a nice little coffee shop, a dinner, a small friendly bar ect...general places where people can hang out with friends and meet new people on a weekend...
im looking for areas around the kingsport/johnson/bristol areas, greenesville is another town on my list of places i shoudl check out (remember im looking for fairly rural small town, quiet) and some areas around sevierville/knoxville and pretty much anywhere between.
im not worried interms of schools (no kids, no plans for kids as im infertile, and most homesteaders homeschool anyway lol)
and work is no issue as i work from home, as long as i have internet im good to go
im not religious in the church going sense, but i dont mind religious people as long as there not the in your face "i have to save your soul" ALL the time kinds of religious and i think churches can be some of the most beautiful structures so realy dont mind having one on every corner lol.

so that said...im planning a trip to the area in the mid-late spring of 2011
the trip is going to bring me into the state via the kingsport area as ill be traveling in through virginia. im planning on checking out the tri-cities areas first then traveling south heading towards knoxville to check out that vicinity (pigeon forge, sevierville, knoxville itself ect) from there ill be traveling into NC to check out a few areas on my list of potentials there...

from seeing pictures of the area and from some of the "stories" im already inlove with eastern tn, you guys seem to get the best of all worlds, mild winters but still a little snow, good long growing season, beautiful springs and stunning falls...and ill learn to live with the extra heat, im told the humidity is more barable in eastern tn than it is here because you generally get more air movment and it doesnt typically seem as stagnant...

but while im on my trip i want to take the time to enjoy the area...
now...im an animal behaviourist so am planning on stopping at the knoxville zoo and rainforrest adventures in sevierville. and i love themeparks so dollywood is a must for a day. but i also know theres got to be lots of both natural and man made places that arnt as advertised that i should check out while on my road trip.

parks, rest stops, senic vistas, and general things to do.
im also interested in "must eat" places, any places that simply scream "you have to try this" ect...

id love help planning my eastern tn section of my road trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 07:09 PM

oh and as a side note, i LOVE county and country fairs so im currently checking out the tn tourism site looking up the dates of the faires in the general area to plan my trip around getting at least 1 in...any suggestions on which of the county and country fairs would be the best one to go to if you could only go to one?!

im also adding ripleys aquarium to the list.

right now im thinking my trip may end up being more summer than spring lol.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:55 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
I am a bit west of where you will be and not so familiar with the area so I cant really answer your questions. You might want to post it in the tri cities forum.

I did want to say that county fairs are usually held around August/September so you will miss out on that if you come in the spring.

Quote:
im planning on having a small semi self sufficient homestead, chickens, goats, rabbits, my dogs and veggies. country life is what im looking for...
I laughed a little when I read this. Ive found self sufficient homestead (chickens, goats and rabbits) to be an oxymoron. I think I have to work more to support my "homestead". Feed is getting ever more expensive and its unbelievable how much those critters can eat.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:07 PM

lol, thats true...
im hoping to grow enough veggies to supliment the rabbits feed, and raise enough rabbits to feed me and the dogs lol.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:34 AM

469 posts, read 1,175,638 times
If you come to Knoxville check out Market Square and The Old City. This is the most urban/cosmopolitan area in East Tennessee. For must eat food I would head to Chandler's. It's really close to the Knoxville Zoo on Magnolia Avenue. Good luck with your search. I am a recent transplant from Alabama and I love it here. Small city and college town vibe with things to do all the time as well as natural beauty very close by. Rural property values south of Knoxville are probably pretty high due to the proximity to Smoky Mountains National Park. For a good deal in an equally stunning area you should check out Scott, Morgan, Campbell, and Anderson Counties north of here. It is beautiful, rugged, and much more remote than the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:17 PM

thanks for the suggestions, will definatly look into those areas more

Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinbama View Post
If you come to Knoxville check out Market Square and The Old City. This is the most urban/cosmopolitan area in East Tennessee. For must eat food I would head to Chandler's. It's really close to the Knoxville Zoo on Magnolia Avenue. Good luck with your search. I am a recent transplant from Alabama and I love it here. Small city and college town vibe with things to do all the time as well as natural beauty very close by. Rural property values south of Knoxville are probably pretty high due to the proximity to Smoky Mountains National Park. For a good deal in an equally stunning area you should check out Scott, Morgan, Campbell, and Anderson Counties north of here. It is beautiful, rugged, and much more remote than the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area.
Just be aware that Scott, Morgan and Campbell are highly economically challenged. Scott has the highest unemployment rate in the state...something like 19 percent. Nice to visit...if you know what I mean.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:00 PM

not worried about work for me personally, i work from home, i do however need high speed internet which im hearing can be tough to get hold of outside of the cities...(which sucks because when i move i want to be rural lol.)

Old 12-17-2010, 11:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
not worried about work for me personally, i work from home, i do however need high speed internet which im hearing can be tough to get hold of outside of the cities...(which sucks because when i move i want to be rural lol.)
High-speed internet can be tough to get anywhere in this country when you live on a road where you have few to no neighbors, especially if they are spread out. There is a formula that telecoms use to determine if it is worth the cost to put it in to certain areas. I lived in Fort Myers, FL, which is very populated, and not far from a major road, yet my road was separated from that highway by a river and I only had one other neighbor. We didn't even have cable tv.

There is something else you need to consider. I realize that you are not seeking employment. What I meant, when I gave you the stats, is that when you move to the county with the highest unemployment in the state, and similar areas, you are going to be dealing with some unwanted issues. Just something to think about.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:09 AM

thanks. i have no illusions that moving to a depressed area is going to be like moving say someplace like NYC...
and thats fine by me, depreciated property values, low local ameneties and a "higher" crime rate are all things im expecting. but im also expecting alot of natural beauty, wonderfull people (who try not to let the current state of the economy bother them) and a MUCH MUCH slower pace of life. (something i need)

i do know however im going to have a very hard time finding good internat acess given that im also looking for small country property acreage...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee