Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 03:36 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times

Advertisements

I am surprised there is not more information on this site regarding the illegal problem in Tennessee. I lived close to the border of Tennessee in Western North Carolina until recently, and I know that Tennessee has become one of the biggest illegal magnets in the country. Be sure you do your OWN research as well, and do not just blindly trust the posts here on this site. I suspect that some of the people on here are realtors or investors in the area, people who stand to benefit from luring people to the area. I am also sure there are some beautiful, relatively safe areas in Tennessee - but there are sadly, no perfect, crime free, small towns in America anymore. If that makes you angry, go to your local politicians and insist they make changes, and pay attention to what the federal government is (or is not) doing about some of these problems. Remember - Mayberry was FICTIONAL people, and it was also the 1960's back then. Andy Griffiths own sun died of a drug overdose. Nothing wrong with moving to another place and and trying to better your life where you think the grass will somehow be "greener"- just wake up - these are different times - be smart and buyer beware!

Old 08-27-2006, 05:12 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,212 times
Arrow there once was thread...

this illegal alien issue has been discussed before-I got a "red"mark for being "stereo-typical" and "prejudice" so just be careful what you say...yes it is an issue that concerns me, as well as many others, from what I understand TN governor welcomes them in some manner...whatever the reason- it is an more than a Tennessean issue...it is everywhere.

Old 08-27-2006, 05:53 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,490 times
Since moving to tri-cities, the only hispanics I have really seen at all were in North Carolina. Many of the get their driver's license here and move on to NC.
As stated, we have discussed this problem on here. Many of us have also agreed that crime happens everywhere to some degree regardless of who is living there. We are not walking around with blinders on.
And for the record, I have no personal interest in whether people move here or not. I am not a realtor/mortgage broker/insurance salesperson/ ect. Neither is my husband. Unfortunately for me, I have yet to find a job since moving here. But even when I do, it will still do me no good to coax people to move here. Many people here are just here to answer questions and discuss the state that we love so well.

Old 08-27-2006, 05:54 PM

130 posts, read 566,211 times
Yeah, the gang issue around here definitely needs to be addressed. You think Bloods and Crips in California are bad? Heck, I'll put our gangs around here against any of 'em. The nice thing about ours is that they all dress the same so they're easy to spot but they always have at least one weapon with them, and you usually know who has it.

Always be wary when traveling through east Tn and watch for the gangs. Our community isn't safe from them unless there is a Little League game in progress and the scary group is in the field and the one with the weapon is at bat.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:54 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,416 times
I never would have though Tennessee would have a problem with gangs, whereas other cities you KNOW have them (Miami, Philly, CA, Detroit, Camden...). I am trying to move to a safe spot as I have 2 children, and I don't want to move into a gang infested area. I am looking around the moutain areas-don't know where yet...perhaps in some distance to KNoxville...or Greeneville...but I don't want to LIVE in the city part. Exactly which parts are gangs hanging out at??

Old 08-27-2006, 08:16 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I never would have though Tennessee would have a problem with gangs, whereas other cities you KNOW have them (Miami, Philly, CA, Detroit, Camden...). I am trying to move to a safe spot as I have 2 children, and I don't want to move into a gang infested area. I am looking around the moutain areas-don't know where yet...perhaps in some distance to KNoxville...or Greeneville...but I don't want to LIVE in the city part. Exactly which parts are gangs hanging out at??

From news stories since the begining of the year that actually say the people are affiliated with the hispanic MS-13 gang, there have been reports in Nashville, Knoxville, and was it Sweetwater or Cleveland? I forget exactly where that last one was, somewhere down 75 and around the Cherokee National Forest. There are pockets of other gangs around, but you don't hear much about it.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:31 AM

950 posts, read 3,190,623 times
Let's keep keep this in mind -- not all the gangs in states like Tennessee are illegal immigrants. There are gang problems everywhere not just in Tennessee - not just illegal immigrants. If you really want to avoid such, then avoid populated areas.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:14 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,212 times
Default joe p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Yeah, the gang issue around here definitely needs to be addressed. You think Bloods and Crips in California are bad? Heck, I'll put our gangs around here against any of 'em. The nice thing about ours is that they all dress the same so they're easy to spot but they always have at least one weapon with them, and you usually know who has it.

Always be wary when traveling through east Tn and watch for the gangs. Our community isn't safe from them unless there is a Little League game in progress and the scary group is in the field and the one with the weapon is at bat.
Nice take on the situation

Old 08-28-2006, 05:25 PM

211 posts, read 290,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesmooch View Post
Many of us have also agreed that crime happens everywhere to some degree regardless of who is living there.
It would be naive to ignore the fact that there are two ethnic groups that commit an overwhelming disproportional amount of crime in this country and are often a net drain on the community.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:22 PM

110 posts, read 456,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLove View Post
It would be naive to ignore the fact that there are two ethnic groups that commit an overwhelming disproportional amount of crime in this country and are often a net drain on the community.
And what would those 2 groups be, TN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee