Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 03:14 PM

18 posts, read 179,928 times

Advertisements

I've been reading this forum for about a week now and have found it very informative, so I'm hoping for some input. Here's my situation and what we're looking for:

My family currently lives in NW Florida. We have decided to relocate in the next year or so and are very strongly considering eastern TN. We love the area and plan on making several trips before we decide where to move, but I've been hearing about pollution in the Knoxville area and tri cities area (which are our primary areas of interest). My mom has severe asthma and will also be relocating with us, so this is a very big concern. Any recommendations about areas with the least pollution?

Other than pollution, our primary concerns are schools and jobs for teachers and realtors, and from what I've been reading, these look pretty promising.

Thanks so much for any help/recommendations.

P.S. I've been to the EPA's site as well as some TN sites, but I want to hear from locals as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2006, 02:35 PM

10 posts, read 75,287 times
I have a property up onthe Cumberland Plateau in Middle Eastern TN in a new community called Indian Trail Estates. I have been up to visit several times because I am building a home there. I also have asthma and the air up there is so crisp and clean. The area is also growing rapidly! There are so many people buying up there from Florida. I am using it primarily as a second home as I am not ready just yet to relocate, but in 5 years or so.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:53 PM

45 posts, read 250,286 times
Air qualty was a concern for us, too, so I did some research about Campbell County, about 30 miles northwest of Knoxville, where we are relocating. It has an air quality of 80, where 100 is the best. Sounds good to us!
Cheers,
Maggie

Old 07-05-2006, 08:43 PM

18 posts, read 179,928 times
Thanks so much BG & Magster. I've added both of these areas to my "check out" list. I appreciate your input.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:21 PM

61 posts, read 378,691 times
where are you guys getting your info eastern tenn. has some of the worst air quality in the contry. the great smokies are dying because of it. And don't forget about the atomic city (oak ridge, tn) polluting the air with what the goverment omitts to as radio active dust into the air. Or the illegal dumping of nuclear waste and radio active matierials.
http://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=a...cal&CityID=117

Old 03-20-2008, 01:21 AM

45 posts, read 178,307 times
Default Air quality in East TN?

Please, give me answers about the air quality in eastern TN.

So far, I've read that Knoxville (is Alcoa responsible?) and the tri-cities (Eastman) have poor air quality. I also know there is a nuclear power plant near Dayton, a town that interested me. What's the air like in the Chattanooga area? Usually, bigger towns have poorer air quality (more cars, more factories, more plants); is that true in TN?

On my quick 3-day trip during the last week in February, I couldn't really judge because it was snowing / had snowed. I wasn't frolicing around outside checking out the air. I was mainly heading towards Cookeville / Crossville so I didn't lollygag going through Elizabethton or Johnson City. I did stay in Johnson City the first night, but I didn't do any investigating. The next morning, I was out of there before the snow got worse.

Johnson City is bigger than I want. I want a town, not a city.

How is the air in Elizabethton?

Dayton?

Cookeville?

Crossville?

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 03:23 PM..

Old 03-20-2008, 06:06 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,807 times
There are a couple of large coal burning power plants in the Knoxville area that contribute quite a bit to the pollution. TVA in all its wisdom prefers to generate power with coal at one place and ship it to another via their ubiquitous high voltage lines. Fortunately, scrubber stacks are now going up on both of these plants, which should cut down significantly on their contribution to the pollutants.

Another factor is relatively heavy truck traffic. Two major interstates intersect in the area.

However, it is all relative, and it's nothing like the LA basin. We know about it because it is reported in the press, but we really don't notice it.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:59 AM

11,105 posts, read 9,748,456 times
Nuclear power plants emit only water vapor. I worked at one for three years.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:58 PM

45 posts, read 178,307 times
I know that nuclear power plants don't cause regular polution; however, there's the nuclear waste problem. There are also memories of Grenoble and Two Mile Island. How safe did you feel working in one, Shadow?

Old 05-24-2008, 03:19 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,218,445 times
Default Air Quality Alert - most of east Tennessee

Be careful out there folks. NWS is showing a air quality alert that covers the entire valley areas of east Tennessee, from Chattanooga, all the way up into Tri-Cities metro and even up into adjacent southwest Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee