U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-25-2006, 03:14 PM

18 posts, read 116,627 times
Smile Air Quality in Eastern Tennessee

I've been reading this forum for about a week now and have found it very informative, so I'm hoping for some input. Here's my situation and what we're looking for:

My family currently lives in NW Florida. We have decided to relocate in the next year or so and are very strongly considering eastern TN. We love the area and plan on making several trips before we decide where to move, but I've been hearing about pollution in the Knoxville area and tri cities area (which are our primary areas of interest). My mom has severe asthma and will also be relocating with us, so this is a very big concern. Any recommendations about areas with the least pollution?

Other than pollution, our primary concerns are schools and jobs for teachers and realtors, and from what I've been reading, these look pretty promising.

Thanks so much for any help/recommendations.

P.S. I've been to the EPA's site as well as some TN sites, but I want to hear from locals as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-30-2006, 02:35 PM

10 posts, read 53,010 times
I have a property up onthe Cumberland Plateau in Middle Eastern TN in a new community called Indian Trail Estates. I have been up to visit several times because I am building a home there. I also have asthma and the air up there is so crisp and clean. The area is also growing rapidly! There are so many people buying up there from Florida. I am using it primarily as a second home as I am not ready just yet to relocate, but in 5 years or so.

Unread 06-30-2006, 07:53 PM

45 posts, read 173,811 times
Air qualty was a concern for us, too, so I did some research about Campbell County, about 30 miles northwest of Knoxville, where we are relocating. It has an air quality of 80, where 100 is the best. Sounds good to us!
Cheers,
Maggie

Unread 07-05-2006, 08:43 PM

18 posts, read 116,627 times
Thanks so much BG & Magster. I've added both of these areas to my "check out" list. I appreciate your input.

Unread 07-08-2006, 10:21 PM

61 posts, read 206,110 times
where are you guys getting your info eastern tenn. has some of the worst air quality in the contry. the great smokies are dying because of it. And don't forget about the atomic city (oak ridge, tn) polluting the air with what the goverment omitts to as radio active dust into the air. Or the illegal dumping of nuclear waste and radio active matierials.
http://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=a...cal&CityID=117

Unread 12-21-2009, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova View Post
where are you guys getting your info eastern tenn. has some of the worst air quality in the contry. the great smokies are dying because of it. And don't forget about the atomic city (oak ridge, tn) polluting the air with what the goverment omitts to as radio active dust into the air. Or the illegal dumping of nuclear waste and radio active matierials.
[url=http://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.showlocal&CityID=117]AIRNow - Homepage[/url]
Your post was alarming! I clicked on your link and the air quality looks fine. I dont understand what you are talking about. Please give more info! My husband wants to move to Knoxville.

Unread 12-21-2009, 08:58 AM

21,466 posts, read 28,332,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Fox View Post
Your post was alarming! I clicked on your link and the air quality looks fine. I dont understand what you are talking about. Please give more info! My husband wants to move to Knoxville.
Exactly. The guy hasn't posted in over three years, but if you click on his homepage it may explain some things.

If you would like some information on Knoxville you should come on over to the Knoxville forum. There's lots of members that would be happy to help you.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/knoxville/

Unread 12-22-2009, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,590 times
Hello! Moved here from Texas myself! I love the cooler summers and the snow when we get it!

There have been several articles over the years about the air quality here. I would advise you to go to the Greeneville Sun's website and see if you can find any back articles. There are several major factories here. One of them just received an award for clean air pollution. If I can be of any further help to you, please let me know. I live just off of I-81 in Greene County.

Unread 12-28-2009, 12:25 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,674,603 times
Lived in eastern TN for 28 years and have a degree in environmental health. Knoxville and surrounding area has been rated time and again as the 3rd worst air pollution in the US. I lived in Maryville and had severe allergies growing up. I moved to Oak Ridge and developed asthma within two months of moving there. After 12 years I moved away from there and asthma improved. When I go back for visits to Oak Ridge have horrible asthma attacks. I would seriously not recommend moving there. I myself am debating what to do as aging parents are begging me to move back to east TN, currently living in AZ and I dread having to deal with severe allergies and asthma again. My cousin recently moved back and her husband cannot even find a good asthma doctor there. They all label him as a "drug seeker" because he comes in complaining he can't breathe and his nose is always stopped up.

Stay away from any of the industrial cities and away from coal burning plants (like in Oak Ridge) for sure.

Unread 12-28-2009, 08:25 AM

738 posts, read 920,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Lived in eastern TN for 28 years and have a degree in environmental health. Knoxville and surrounding area has been rated time and again as the 3rd worst air pollution in the US. I lived in Maryville and had severe allergies growing up. I moved to Oak Ridge and developed asthma within two months of moving there. After 12 years I moved away from there and asthma improved. When I go back for visits to Oak Ridge have horrible asthma attacks. I would seriously not recommend moving there. I myself am debating what to do as aging parents are begging me to move back to east TN, currently living in AZ and I dread having to deal with severe allergies and asthma again. My cousin recently moved back and her husband cannot even find a good asthma doctor there. They all label him as a "drug seeker" because he comes in complaining he can't breathe and his nose is always stopped up.

Stay away from any of the industrial cities and away from coal burning plants (like in Oak Ridge) for sure.

Great post. My husband and I are going thru the same thing here in Nashville with asthma and allergies. And we moved here from California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee