Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
I'm currently working at Cape Canaveral Florida and we're looking into buying out by Cookeville. Trying to find a job seems to be the hardest thing, currently a network engineer.
Hey man, I know your pain I am in the technology business too! I do the telecommute/consulting with a company out of Melbourne, FL. However I am very much interested in Tennessee, particular Knoxville. My wife and I love the mountains, lakes, small city feel, with mild 4 seasons in comparison to NYC. We recently stayed in Knoxville for a month with the purpose of establishing employment. GEEZ, it was really a culture shock...folks wanted to take us out to dinner and get to know you better, send you on three and four rounds of interviews, limited amount of companies , and to add injury to insult offer measily salaries. Don't get me wrong, my gripe is not with Knoxvillians (not sure what I will be called once I move there) but the lack of abundance of hi tech opportunities with adequate compensation. However my wife is in the healthcare industry so she found an abundance of opportunity, unfortunately she didn't start recieving offeers until we returned back to NYC. AS you can infer we basically took off a months time to actively look at properties and employment. We were satisfied with all we saw and hopefully we will move into either the 37922 or 37919 zip code by year end.

When I move down my plan for subsidizing my income is to provide consulting services for the small to mid size companies in East Tennessee corridor. I think there is a lot of opportunity in Knoxville: Tech labor and many small companies. There are tons of them scattered from Oak Ridge to Knoxville to Tri Cities. I am very much interested in your skill set. Let us know how your quest for real estate in Cookeville goes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 07:29 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
We'd looked in lots of rural towns and settled on the Clinton/Oak Ridge area. We have none of the above problems. Though I loved the look of the country and homes that were farther out, I feel like we really lucked out finding this house. We're about 15 minutes from Knoxville, which has wonderful dining and shopping. It's beautiful country out here.
I'm getting all kinds of promotional material from North Carolina and Tennessee, even though I don't plan to buy a house, and it seems like a few developers are building new homes that look like older-style southern homes and they are doing it on purpose because people like them. I've noticed that these are in communities that are closer to the center of town but that doesn't mean they aren't elsewhere, it's just what I have observed from the literature I've gotten.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAhighschoolC View Post
Use to live in Farragut a burb of Knoxville. Husband worked in Oak Ridge for DOE then a private contractor. I had two children born there and still have a best friend that lives there however I absolutely hated living there. The church thing as described by the other poster ruins the quality of your life on so many levels. But it's been almost 12 years since I lived there although I went back last year and I thought the area had gone downhill.
What's the church thing that ruins the quality of your life on so many levels?

Old 10-03-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
I'm currently working at Cape Canaveral Florida and we're looking into buying out by Cookeville.

Okay Tennessee, there's one thing you don't have - a space program.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:38 AM

96 posts, read 563,469 times
Cool Tennessee was ranked 48th out of 50 States in Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyshoregal View Post
1-If you don't want to "burn in Hell" because you are not Christian/Baptist.
2-If your looking for any kind of help with you home be it landscaping, handy
man, plumber, any farm work, electrian...got the picture?! Not to many
people like to work in my area (monroe co). Alot of no shows/no calls

3-If you don't mind having 1-6 mailboxes bashed every other weekend
4-If you don't mind having things missing from your property every now and
then.
5-If your looking for a great food market other than Walmart or Dollar Store
6-If you are looking for any healthcare
7-If you are looking for fine dining
8-If you like a glass of wine or a beer now and then..
9-If your looking for quality education or someplace for your kids to go
10-If you want the security of the local police!

go somewhere else!
..........................................I am really looking forward to the prospect of retiring to Tennessee....HOWEVER; the only real concern that I have is re: # 6 ( HEALTHCARE )......I have subscribed to the Greeneville Sun & just read an article recently indicating that a 2005 study ranked Tennessee 48th out of 50 States with respect to Healthcare......In as much as I have a severely handicapped step-son living with me + I also have a series of Health Issues ( relating to an on-the-job injury that I sustained a number of years ago )......Obtaining Good Healthcare is of Paramount Importance to Me &, as such, hope that I can obtain it when needed in a timely fashion in Tennessee.......

Old 10-12-2006, 03:53 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDOOWOP View Post
..........................................I am really looking forward to the prospect of retiring to Tennessee....HOWEVER; the only real concern that I have is re: # 6 ( HEALTHCARE )......I have subscribed to the Greeneville Sun & just read an article recently indicating that a 2005 study ranked Tennessee 48th out of 50 States with respect to Healthcare......In as much as I have a severely handicapped step-son living with me + I also have a series of Health Issues ( relating to an on-the-job injury that I sustained a number of years ago )......Obtaining Good Healthcare is of Paramount Importance to Me &, as such, hope that I can obtain it when needed in a timely fashion in Tennessee.......
hmmmm....I am very curious as to where those statistics came from and I am assuming they lumped all hospitals in the state together? I know there are some bad hospitals, I think the old one in Jefferson City was horrible! They gave anyone who walked into the door that said they were in pain, a pain pill in the ER waiting room BEFORE a Dr even saw them...blew my mind!
But there are Hospitals that are run by Mountain States Health Alliance and Welmont that have won all kinds of national awards on innovative studies/results and such. I know the Jonhnson City Medical center (hospital) has heart patients transfered to them from hospitals in other states.
UT is a FANTASTIC cancer and Children's hospital that are also nationally know and awarded.
I guess the saying is true, a few bad eggs will ruin the whole thing.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:14 PM

408 posts, read 1,978,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYsFinest View Post
Hey man, I know your pain I am in the technology business too! I do the telecommute/consulting with a company out of Melbourne, FL. However I am very much interested in Tennessee, particular Knoxville. My wife and I love the mountains, lakes, small city feel, with mild 4 seasons in comparison to NYC. We recently stayed in Knoxville for a month with the purpose of establishing employment. GEEZ, it was really a culture shock...folks wanted to take us out to dinner and get to know you better, send you on three and four rounds of interviews, limited amount of companies , and to add injury to insult offer measily salaries. Don't get me wrong, my gripe is not with Knoxvillians (not sure what I will be called once I move there) but the lack of abundance of hi tech opportunities with adequate compensation. However my wife is in the healthcare industry so she found an abundance of opportunity, unfortunately she didn't start recieving offeers until we returned back to NYC. AS you can infer we basically took off a months time to actively look at properties and employment. We were satisfied with all we saw and hopefully we will move into either the 37922 or 37919 zip code by year end.

When I move down my plan for subsidizing my income is to provide consulting services for the small to mid size companies in East Tennessee corridor. I think there is a lot of opportunity in Knoxville: Tech labor and many small companies. There are tons of them scattered from Oak Ridge to Knoxville to Tri Cities. I am very much interested in your skill set. Let us know how your quest for real estate in Cookeville goes?
If you are stricktly comparing NYC pay to Knoxville pay, I think you will find that cost of living will balance out the difference. Of course, it could also be that, as you stated, there are limited amounts of companies offering the tech position you seek. They would not need to pay as much because there is no competition driving up the salaries. But I still think that cost of living will make your downsizing in salary look different than it does now in your NYC view point.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:32 AM

16 posts, read 51,057 times
Hi Ya, I Am From Anderson Sc And I Have Beeen Doing Research On Est Tn For About 2 Weeks Now.maryville So Far Is My Choice,i Have Great Inputs On The Area Here.i Dont Think No Town Or State Could Have As Much Meth As We Do We Just Had Some One Busted In Anderson Foe A Million Dollars Worth Of Meth From Atlanta.after Reaserchin The Crmis Stastitcs Maryville Has A Great Number With 23,00 Ppl.one Town Close To Here Has Only 3,00 Ppl And Is Higher So Go Figure That One.i Think Blount County Is A Very Nice County From What I Have Seen So Far.i Hope This Helps Ur Desicion We Also Are Planning To Move Once We Find Employment I Have Been Workin With Several Realtors And Faxed A Few Resume's.good Louck

Old 11-10-2006, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,877 times
Is there any smell from the Bedminster Biomass Plant in Sevierville? That company is planning to build the same sort of waste management facility in our rural area of Southwest Georgia. Any cause for concern?

Old 11-10-2006, 11:08 AM

12 posts, read 59,378 times
Thumbs up I love Tennessee

I am from the Northeast and have never felt so happy and contented since I moved to TN. I have lived in Seattle, Los Angeles, Atlanta, New York...TN offers the absolute best quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee