Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:48 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,477 times

Advertisements

I spoke with several people the last view days about the lots perqing, the completion of the road, utilities, etc. To answer a few questions, here is what I heard.

I spoke with an engineer at Betts Engineering and she shared that the road is being held up by the amount of fill that has to be brought to the last stretch of the road which will be the front entrance from the Tennessee side. Apparently, they did not see the 40 foot cliff in this section when Betts did a topographical look of the area. She told me that it will still be a few months until the road is complete, but SP told me they think it will be done by the end of the July. We'll see. The roads in Phase 3 must be asphalt as this was recently passed by whatever group approves such things up there, however, SP, was grandfathered in for Phase 1 and 2 so they have the option of going with tar and pit. Dettweiler has told Betts they will go ahead and pave Phase 1 and 2, but until they do, they legally aren't required to do so.

All, but a small handfull of lots perqed on the retest in April and that information is in Betts possession if anyone wants to call. I am sorry, I do not know the numbers of the lots or I would post them. But as has been stated, ask for a perq report before you offer and decide if the amount of bedroom the lot will accept is okay for you. You can also call Groundwater Protection (Department of Health) for Marion County to see what lots did not perq.

City water is coming from South Pittsburg (if I recall correctly) and all other utilities will be underground once the road connects, per Betts Engineering.

Two homes are under construction presently. A 6,000 sq ft monster home on lot 24, and a log home on lot 92 - I think. It's either 91, 92, or 93. This is info I got from the guy at Groundwater Protection.

I've read so much information all over the map on other posts, that I went for the answers myself. With any purchase, do your research. Are the lots overpriced, or priced right? Look at what else is available in the area. Monteagle is less expensive, but it is also 40 - 45 minutes from Chattanooga. My wife and I wanted something closer to Chattanooga, since we both plan on still actively working for some time. That's worth a little extra to me not having a longer commute. Everyone has their criteria, and that's what you should follow.

One last point, Walmart does its homework. When a Walmart moves into an area, it's only after it has exhausted a lot of money and research. The other businesses and restaurants watch and follow Walmart, so they don't have to dole out the money for resarch. There is now a Walmart in Kimball, about 10 miles or so from Sequatchie Pointe. I am betting that more business and growth will come to this area due to it's relatively close proximity to Chattanooga and the lot we purchased will be out of our price range in 5 years. Also, read up on how much more land TVA is releasing for residential development. From what I've read, it's zero, but that may only apply to the waterfront like Rarity Club. Sequatchie Pointe is only water view.

I go up in late July and I will update what progress I see then.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:34 PM

48 posts, read 139,089 times
I'm new to this web-site but so far love the info. I've been reading. I have been reading a lot of land offers around $40,000 for land in Sequatchie, is this reasonable for about 2 acres (I think), or could you suggest something better. Where exactly did you buy your land and is it near to a town, schools, jobs etc. Thinking of moving that way in the future, but still have a son in High School, and two girls in Middle School. Any info. will be helpful. Almost forgot to ask....are there any hurricanes or tornadoes that way?
Thanking you in advance.

Wendy Margaret

Old 07-07-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy-Margaret View Post
I'm new to this web-site but so far love the info. I've been reading. I have been reading a lot of land offers around $40,000 for land in Sequatchie, is this reasonable for about 2 acres (I think), or could you suggest something better. Where exactly did you buy your land and is it near to a town, schools, jobs etc. Thinking of moving that way in the future, but still have a son in High School, and two girls in Middle School. Any info. will be helpful. Almost forgot to ask....are there any hurricanes or tornadoes that way?
Thanking you in advance.

Wendy Margaret
Wendy - The tornado question would be better answered by someone who lives there. I can honestly say that hurricanes will not be an issue that far inland.

They do have lots at $39,900 and all the way up to over $250,000.

I don't know about the schools, but Chattanooga is about a 20 minute drive which is close enough for me. Grocery stores are going to be a drive of about 12 minutes to Kimball, but if you like fireworks, those will be right at your doorstep!! Fireworks places are everywhere.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:51 PM

Anyone else have a recent Sequatchie Pointe update?

Old 07-11-2007, 10:18 PM

6 posts, read 19,436 times
Default Road work

I spoke to the Marion county planning Dept today and they said the contractor doing the roads has put a lien on the property and has stopped work of course. Guess he didnt get paid.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:17 AM

Appreciate the update Cobra. Have you been to the area recently to see any progress? We're looking forward to seeing where this is at when we go up later this month.

I'll look for road crew activity! Or lack thereof...

Old 07-12-2007, 05:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,283 times
Toured Sequtachtie Pointe July 11 and saw no signs of any machinery. We looked at a lot crossing over to Georgia. Would this be a problem beyond property taxes?

Old 07-12-2007, 06:45 PM

Spoke with Marion County Planning today. The road work is not happening, however, the roads and water are bonded with the county. Meaning, Detweiler paid a bond and that is a guarantee the roads will be put it, either with or without them.

It's not that acrimonious. Betts Eng states that SP is working on getting another road vendor and that the road vendor with the lien is in process of getting settled. What's the real story? Who knows...

I will say that the planning office says this is the first time in 30 years this has happened. The roads superintendent is putting pressure on them since they don't want the fill to wash away.

Water and roads are both bonded with the county planning office.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:50 PM

6 posts, read 19,436 times
Grizzly, I got the same info from Planning office on the roads and water being bonded. That provides some peace of mind but still a little unsettling to hear of work stoppage. The bonds only cover roads and water not electricity.

Did you receive a copy of the HUD property report when you signed your contract?

Old 07-13-2007, 02:40 AM

Yes, I received the HUD report before I signed the contract. Was there any info you were interested in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee