U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2007, 09:43 AM
 
Location: New England
132 posts, read 436,104 times
Reputation: 139

Advertisements

My wife and I are in our mid 30's. We live in the Northeast, but we are searching for somewhere with milder winters! Plus, the housing prices here are ridiculous for what you get.

No kids yet!

We are very down to earth, unpretentious.

We love the mountains, hiking, camping, kayaing, etc. We are very "outdoorsy" people. We also like to run, although we can only run outdoors for about 7 months of the year here. We lived in FL for a few years, but we really missed the change of seasons, mountains, hiking, etc.

We considered Colorado, but it just too dry out there for us - we like to see things green! Plus, I love lakes - not many in CO, except for way up in the mountains.

We also like some interesting restaurants to go for dinner on weekends (not pricey, just fun and different).

I will be attending a conference in Nashville at the end of October. I think Nashville is much too far from the mountains for us to consider, but I would like to visit Knoxville and Chattanooga, but we may only have time to see one place.

My wife and I both work in health care.

We live near several colleges/universities now and I have often found "college towns" fun places to live; this is one reason we have considered Knoxville.

What do you think? Does Knoxville sound like a good place for us? I know that this is the Knoxville thread and it may be biased, but how would you compare Knoxville and Chattanooga? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2007, 10:46 AM
 
12,568 posts, read 35,100,732 times
Reputation: 9682
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael49 View Post
My wife and I are in our mid 30's. We live in the Northeast, but we are searching for somewhere with milder winters! Plus, the housing prices here are ridiculous for what you get.

No kids yet!

We are very down to earth, unpretentious.

We love the mountains, hiking, camping, kayaing, etc. We are very "outdoorsy" people. We also like to run, although we can only run outdoors for about 7 months of the year here. We lived in FL for a few years, but we really missed the change of seasons, mountains, hiking, etc.

We considered Colorado, but it just too dry out there for us - we like to see things green! Plus, I love lakes - not many in CO, except for way up in the mountains.

We also like some interesting restaurants to go for dinner on weekends (not pricey, just fun and different).

I will be attending a conference in Nashville at the end of October. I think Nashville is much too far from the mountains for us to consider, but I would like to visit Knoxville and Chattanooga, but we may only have time to see one place.

My wife and I both work in health care.

We live near several colleges/universities now and I have often found "college towns" fun places to live; this is one reason we have considered Knoxville.

What do you think? Does Knoxville sound like a good place for us? I know that this is the Knoxville thread and it may be biased, but how would you compare Knoxville and Chattanooga? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!
Knoxville does have a much larger university community than Chattanooga. However, if you like outdoorsy stuff you might enjoy Chattanooga more. Outdoors magazine ranked Chattanooga one of the 10 best cities in the country for outdoor sports.

Chattanooga is closer to whitewater rafting. Knoxville is closer to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, but you've got 11 million other tourists to deal with. The mountains around Chattanooga are much more tranquil.

Chattanooga is also surrounded by mountains; in Knoxville you have to drive a bit to get to the mountains. Chattanooga also has a cooler downtown than Knoxville (in my opinion).

Since you both have jobs in the medical field, you shouldn't have any problems finding jobs in either city.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2007, 11:05 AM
 
Location: New England
132 posts, read 436,104 times
Reputation: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Knoxville does have a much larger university community than Chattanooga. However, if you like outdoorsy stuff you might enjoy Chattanooga more. Outdoors magazine ranked Chattanooga one of the 10 best cities in the country for outdoor sports.

Chattanooga is closer to whitewater rafting. Knoxville is closer to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, but you've got 11 million other tourists to deal with. The mountains around Chattanooga are much more tranquil.

Chattanooga is also surrounded by mountains; in Knoxville you have to drive a bit to get to the mountains. Chattanooga also has a cooler downtown than Knoxville (in my opinion).

Since you both have jobs in the medical field, you shouldn't have any problems finding jobs in either city.

Good luck!
Hmmm, maybe we should check out Chattanooga. I definitely would like to be close to the mountains. Thanks for the input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2007, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
2,172 posts, read 7,123,820 times
Reputation: 1527
I'd pick Knoxville over Chattanooga. House Mountain State Park is a 10-minute drive from downtown and considered to be the best urban rock climbing anywhere. It has hiking.
TDEC: DNH: House Mountain State Natural Area
You can head west from Knoxville and hit Frozen Head State Park in 20 minutes.
Tennessee State Parks: Frozen Head State Park
And best of all, Obed Wild and Scene River area is about an hour's drive away.
Obed Wild & Scenic River - Obed Wild & Scenic River (U.S. National Park Service)
None of those are in the Smokies. You can find roads less traveled there through the Smoky Mountain Field School run by UT. They offer some wonderful programs.
SMFS cover 07
There are lots of places to run in Knoxville. You'll have to deal with some hills. The Knoxville Track Club is very active and publishes a good list.
Greenways (broken link)
UT keeps things lively. There's a good local live music scene for all kinds of music. We have a good jazz festival as well as an opera festival.
I think you'd be prime candidates for a loft downtown or a rehab near there.
Jobs in the medical field are plentiful. UT is a teaching hospital and runs a huge hospital that's the shock-trauma center for East Tennessee. There are several huge hospitals in town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2007, 04:08 PM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,576 posts, read 49,610,175 times
Reputation: 13510
I'd pick Chattanooga.

Chattanooga ? Chattanooga TN ? Chattanooga Tennessee
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2007, 04:21 PM
 
15,873 posts, read 29,208,700 times
Reputation: 19802
It's easy to visit both and draw your own conclusion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2007, 06:22 PM
 
41 posts, read 117,922 times
Reputation: 20
I agree w/ JMT on this. Chatt is prob better choice. I moved to Knox last year and have been to Chatt a few times and much prefer it. There are lots of things to do and it's beautiful. Knox is kinda dull and boring and not very pretty. The downtown in Chatt caters much more to being "out and about" for exercising and hanging out. It seems "fresher" to me. They are only about an hour and a half apart so check them both out for yourself. Chatt just seems a bit more progressive than Knox.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2007, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Maryland
28 posts, read 103,887 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael49 View Post
Hmmm, maybe we should check out Chattanooga. I definitely would like to be close to the mountains. Thanks for the input.
You're in the same boat as myself. Moving from the DC area to TN in the Spring, we are looking at Maryville area and plan on checking out Chattanooga as well. If we get down there before you, I'll be sure to post pictures for you to see both
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2007, 09:19 AM
 
41 posts, read 117,922 times
Reputation: 20
Wow...in my opinion Maryville and Chatt are worlds apart! It'll be interesting to see what you choose and why.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2007, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Beautiful East TN!!
7,281 posts, read 19,712,883 times
Reputation: 2770
I know you are looking at just Knox and Chat at this time but have to considered other areas? It sounds like the Tri-Cities area east of Knox would also fit your bill.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:11 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top