Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:53 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,979,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
Now that I'm thinking about it, I believe it's a dreidel and not a menorah.

She's a human rights activist. I don't know that she has or would want a following. She just has her beliefs and is one of those rare souls who actually backs them up with action.

She's definitely a very interesting woman. I like her very much although we agree on very little politically.
Do you suppose that this woman did it hoping to provoke this sort of reaction, kind of as a test of the community? I agree with you, Wordy, I can respect someone who truly backs up what they believe. And I probably wouldn't agree with her politics, either.

When someone removed a conservative bumper sticker I had on my car while parked in a U.T. parking lot a couple of years ago, I just chalked it up to some random, stupid person who couldn't tolerate a conservative voice. I never thought to label the entire community as intolerant or disprespectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 09:39 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,137,749 times
I agree with you both, Wordy and JMT. She must be a free thinking woman to stand up for what she thinks is right.

Rather than actually being a Muslim, Christian or Jewish faith supporter, she may be making more of a statement that if you allow one, let's see if you allow all.

It was posted that she protested the Nativity at the courthouse, so this may just be her anti-interference by gov't protest.

Wish she would post on the forum. This is probably the wrong forum.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 AM

710 posts, read 1,962,114 times
She didn't protest the Nativity, I don't think. Just the lack of other symbols alongside the Nativity.

I'll see if I can point her to this discussion. I think she has a lot going on at the moment (she always does) but she might be able to add some insight.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:11 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,137,749 times
Smile Good idea, Wordy.

Good idea, Wordy. I hope we aren't making too many assumptions and/or judgments without having the facts straight.

It sounds like IMO, she values everyone's right to practice their religious (and, maybe, non-religious) beliefs equally, fairly, without prejudice. Interesting, actively involved lady.

I think it all boils down to the fact that no one is happy that someone's rights were trampled on, and that is what started the thread in the first place.

Last edited by gemkeeper; 09-26-2007 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: Added a thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee