Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 04:47 PM

849 posts, read 2,956,973 times

Advertisements

Contacted them today and found the right guy. Now I wait for him to return my call! will fill you all in as this progresses. Really appreciate the info on this. Sounds like something everyone should take advantage of before clearing any trees on their lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,202,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
Contacted them today and found the right guy. Now I wait for him to return my call! will fill you all in as this progresses. Really appreciate the info on this. Sounds like something everyone should take advantage of before clearing any trees on their lot.
Well I would have to say it was one of the better calls I made. Not only did they hand out a fair amount of literature but also talked at great length about what I type of usage I wanted from my land and how to achieve it as well as maintain it.

They also gave me some information on obtaining various types of assistance and grants for creating and maintaining a habitat for endangered species as well as general local wildlife. (types of grasses, hard and soft mast trees, as well as wetland management)

Old 10-12-2007, 09:44 PM

41 posts, read 184,276 times
Default What Trees To Keep

Generally folks want trees to serve one of three purposes:
looks or fall color, wildlife & fuelwood.

Try to determine what purpose you see your trees serving. Then properly identify your trees. Then the rest is easy.
Landowner Fact Sheets at Virginia Tech
is helpful to give timber value, wildlife value, sun and water requirements as well as anticipated size at maturity. Other sites will give additional nfo regarding resistance to pest and disease as well as soil requirements.

Tn has trees divided into classes 1 thru 4 (or 5)... 1 being best suited to thrive in Tn and considered "of value" as pertaining to the 3 criteria above. I forget where the site was but if you can't find it... email me and I will dig up the hard copy I printed for my personal reference.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Grizz, you may want to call the Tennessee conservation department. They will come out for free, inspect your land, give you a tree density and species report. They are a wealth of information and the state will even send you a packet with a tree identification book, food plots for wildlife, varieties of natives plant species, etc... all for free.

You can join the land stewardship program which I highly recommend and they can assist you in a great many ways to make your property suited to your needs and still remaining a conducive to the local wildlife.

Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation

hope that helps some
Well, I have made a dozen or so calls. Everyone is friendly and truely sound like they want to help, but, nothing is happening. I've let it rest for a few weeks, I think I'll start calling again this week.

I am looking to generally keep as many trees as possible, and not just bulldoze our lot. Are there any regulations on how much you have to keep or are you free to do on your lot as you wish, of course barring any endangered species regs? Someone looking in North Carolina shared with me that where they had looked they could only clear trees that were part of the footprint of the house even if they had a substantial size lot. Again, we will keep every dogwood on the property and generally want to keep most, but we also want to have our view since we are going to be on a bluff.

Appreciate the responses, and will post when I finally break through on the lot evaluation. Anyone interested, I have a lot of phone numbers accumulated if you're interested.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:20 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,879,411 times
Question WaterFront regs ?

Mornin GB you seem to be up early . Very colorful week here in Chatt. Maybe 75 degrees today, will take out the Bay boat for last time after some more remodeling. . Up on a mtn guess you are the owner. One of hill neighbors here bulldozed about 90% pines /. trees , put larger pond, looks like horse trials / jumping 50 acre riding academy.
. Down on the waterfront/river / TVA, someont told me about a 30% rule.
Can only cut down that amount of trees on new lot? or only 30% of shoreline can be developed ?
.Lots of RED trees /Peak this week. .

Old 11-13-2007, 05:24 PM

Split - I am an early bird! Beautiful shot! Is that your property? Is this a late fall color show or about right on target? I thought it would be earlier.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:50 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,879,411 times
Cool TODAY Boat COLORS

GB: Another Bonus day on river. Low 70 degree temps, mostly cloudy, very brief sun to get a very few pictures. Only one other fishing boat in main channel all afternoon. Went up cove to bring my canoe home in the boat for the winter.
.Yes in driveway this afternoon. Lot next door available, three other. Hilltop 40 mile views. 17ft BAY/Skiff boat under re-model, both engine & rig came out of Vero Beach ,Fla 1 mile apart.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Grizz, you may want to call the Tennessee conservation department. They will come out for free, inspect your land, give you a tree density and species report. They are a wealth of information and the state will even send you a packet with a tree identification book, food plots for wildlife, varieties of natives plant species, etc... all for free.

You can join the land stewardship program which I highly recommend and they can assist you in a great many ways to make your property suited to your needs and still remaining a conducive to the local wildlife.

Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation

hope that helps some

Finally got through to them today. I spoke to a friendly forrestor(Marion County) by the name of Gary Roarke. He is sending me a handbook of the trees and landscape and said he will meet me the next time I come to the area and survey the lot with me.

Since we want to keep the beauty of the area and as many trees as possible, this is a good investment in my time. If anyone else from the Marion County area is interested, send me a direct message and I will hook you up with his email and phone number.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:37 PM

28 posts, read 90,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
Finally got through to them today. I spoke to a friendly forrestor(Marion County) by the name of Gary Roarke. He is sending me a handbook of the trees and landscape and said he will meet me the next time I come to the area and survey the lot with me.

Since we want to keep the beauty of the area and as many trees as possible, this is a good investment in my time. If anyone else from the Marion County area is interested, send me a direct message and I will hook you up with his email and phone number.
I'm wondering...how much land do you have? (Sorry if you've stated this already in the posts) Thanks

Old 11-26-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraplus View Post
I'm wondering...how much land do you have? (Sorry if you've stated this already in the posts) Thanks
4 acres. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee