Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 01:03 AM

18 posts, read 65,207 times

Advertisements

My wife is a native and I asked her if Jackson was beautiful...She looked at me like I was crazy.

It may be beautiful if you like flat land and high crime/drugs. Why choose there when you have gorgeous mtns, lakes & rivers in east tn? To each their own i suppose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 08:43 PM

69 posts, read 176,584 times
I go to school in Jackson, and it's alright. I'm from suburban St. Louis, and I live in an area with a lot of green space ( I live within walking distance of a nature preservation), so I'm used to seeing a lot of trees and nature. That being said, I don't like how Jackson, toward downtown and north up Highland and the Bypass, really lack greenery and just general beauty. How Jackson looks is possibly my least favorite thing about living here.
There are some nicer prettier areas, such as out by union and if you keep driving on Oil Well, and If you go out south on Highland. Then again, this is an opinion. My idea of "Beautiful" is a lot of greenspace, trees, and hills. If you like a more crowded, cityish look, then you'll like Jackson.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:03 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,348,796 times
Default beauty and the beast?

no, i would never stand on the assertion that jackson is beautiful. it is kinda like taking a real ugly date out in public, "...keep 'em in a soft light...or..."just a little farther back, barney!" jackson has some very pretty communities. some are gated and some are not. it has some very upscale neighborhoods which boasts multimillion dollar homes. many of these surround artificial lakes w/ fountains, many have stone, brick, lumber, or strung wire fences, golf courses, manicured greenery, creeks, large hills, rolling hills, large spances of flat ground sown w/ kentucky blue grass, zoyiza, alfalfa, etc. many are mansions, some are large homes, and others are estates.

unfortunately, one of the main north-south corridors through the city, the keith short bypass, carries about 40-45,000 cars daily. this corridor goes into and out of downtown jackson. the bypass is no longer a functional bypass, consequently, everyone traveling its path gets the tour through major commercial districts, warehouse districts, swamp runoff, used car lots, railroads, and the like. even though downtown has experienced some major rebuilding after a 2003 tornado destroyed about 1/3 of downtown, there, in my opinion, needs to be much more beautification work.

the approach to downtown jackson from the west on the bypass places one on a 25 to 30 ft elevation overlooking the city. this makes for an awkward and unflattering view. looking at a structure's rooftop, air conditioning, and drainage system seems to be somewhat akin to standing beneath an individual who is on a ladder wearing no drawers. you don't necessarily want to see it, but you really can't turn away---and you get the picture! perhaps some investment in treetop or herb gardens or urban gardens, statuary, painting...something in a softer light.

to conclude, jackson has some very "pretty areas." to the one who is returning home after 30 years away, to the soldier returning safely home after a tour of military duty, to the runaway who misses the love of parent or guardian, or to the individual who returns home after a near-death experience or after undergoing treatment for a life-threatening illness, these folk would most likely see the place as beautiful. and, as a beholder, who would wish to argue with them.

Last edited by kingchef; 09-14-2009 at 12:14 AM..

Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,118,086 times
We just (less than an hour ago) returned home from our home-buying trip to Jackson. I can only say that I'm impressed with Jackson. It was far more than we expected. It IS a beautiful area and we bought a house about 1/2 hour south of the city. I didn't expect to find as many amenities as we saw - shopping galore, very quaint downtown, and right outside of Jackson in all directions is country! I am so glad we decided on the Jackson area for our retirement home.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:59 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,348,796 times
Default glad you weren't methmerized in east tn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
We just (less than an hour ago) returned home from our home-buying trip to Jackson. I can only say that I'm impressed with Jackson. It was far more than we expected. It IS a beautiful area and we bought a house about 1/2 hour south of the city. I didn't expect to find as many amenities as we saw - shopping galore, very quaint downtown, and right outside of Jackson in all directions is country! I am so glad we decided on the Jackson area for our retirement home.

congratulations on your new home, and welcome to tennessee. it sounds like you have good sense and make smart decisions armed w/ good information. sadly, there are many around---many on this forum---who seemingly can't or don't do the same. east tn is mainly rocks, hills, shaks, and meth labs. you will like the lay of the land, lakes, rivers, woods, and hollows in west tn.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:58 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
congratulations on your new home, and welcome to tennessee. it sounds like you have good sense and make smart decisions armed w/ good information. sadly, there are many around---many on this forum---who seemingly can't or don't do the same. east tn is mainly rocks, hills, shaks, and meth labs. you will like the lay of the land, lakes, rivers, woods, and hollows in west tn.
Kingchef that is just wrong. Both east and west TN have their advantages and disadvantages. Not everyone has the same priorities in life and for some people one area may be a better fit than the other. You seem to prefer west Tn, fine, but to imply that those of us who chose east Tn are somehow less sensible and incapable of making good decisions is rude in the extreme.
There are many wonderful area all across Tennessee. I'm sure NY Annie will be quite happy in her new location, when she finally makes it there. Just as I am happy in my new home in lovely east TN~ dubbleT, formerly of west TN

Last edited by DubbleT; 09-29-2009 at 11:07 PM..

Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,378,893 times
To the OP....Why would you wanna be close to Memphis?

As far as Hardeman County.....If you are a deer hunter you'll love it. Whiteville, Tn is a speed trap

Old 06-29-2010, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,267 times
I have lived in Jackson on and off for about 10 years now and I HATE it! The only reason I even come back is to care for my aging parents, who have lived here all of their lives and don't want to pack up and move. The crime is appalling here, why just on Sunday night I went to the bar TJ Mulligans and witnessed the bartender buying drugs off a patron! The people here have hardened, due to the crime, so that "y'all come back now" wholesomeness is completely gone, replaced by impatience and rudeness. It's very obvious that the scum from Memphis have migrated here and that is why Jackson is suffering.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:37 AM

2 posts, read 9,997 times
Smile Jackson the Moderate Town

I've lived in Jackson,Tn for 43yrs you're probably right it not be the most beautiful town you've ever visited but it does have several lakes, the bigest is Graham lake with lots of good fishing, adjacent county lakes are Beech, Piney, Reddog and many other TVH lakes. Rivers are the Forked Deer and Hackett River. No true Mts, but lots of greenery and forest land(with places for hiking and bike trails). Easy access to lots of shopping areas(with lots of national items). Affortable living areas. And lastly a romantic quiet town. This response is because in the 43yrs that I lived there I adventured "ALL OVER" this town...........AJB

Old 03-18-2011, 02:45 AM

2 posts, read 9,997 times
Yes, Jackson does its' downfaults like any other town, especially if you're hanging out in bars or rough communities or places where often documented crimes take place. But if you're not doing these sort of negative things, Jackson Tn is wonderful place to live and raise your children. Jackson Tn has a long lasting Christian background, lots and lots of Churches. If you don't like Jackson Tn its' simply that you just don't want to, bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee