Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 10:58 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times

Advertisements

I guess another thing that kinda surprises me is that people seem bothered that a church would be a place that people dress up a lot. I know the point of church isn't to enter a fashion show, but I've always considered the day of the week that I go to God's house to worship, my better clothes are the ones I prefer to wear. Not for the people there, but just something I guess I've always felt.

If ragged looking clothing is all you have, then by all means, wear it to church. And if you feel comfortable going in your lounge wear, then by all means, do so. But I don't its good to assume that people who wear their best clothes to church must be snooty. Thats leaning toward hypocrisy it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 03:36 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Default No...

The church I go to now? There are PLENTY of people that wear their Sunday best. The difference is they are NOT snooty. It is the the United Methodist Church.

I am old enough to know when people are condescending.

But you are right. Coming from Texas, or say LA, it would definitely seem laid back!

Old 12-04-2006, 03:40 AM

Default And By The Way...

Please wish me good luck today. I start my new job!

I bought $250 worth of clothes yesterday from Burlington Coat factory, including an Anne Klein coat! Let them look down their nose at that!

Old 12-04-2006, 05:40 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
Default Good Luck Hiknapster!

Hope you feel right at home. Let us know how it goes.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:17 AM

40 posts, read 223,655 times
It is because of the deep southern culture that I'm considering a move to TN. I'm originally from PA where there seems to be no culture at all. Although born and raised in the North I've always loved the culture of the South. It's unique and very appealing, and I prefer the southern accent over all others. I can't believe some people with a southern accent try to get rid of it.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:54 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Please wish me good luck today. I start my new job!

I bought $250 worth of clothes yesterday from Burlington Coat factory, including an Anne Klein coat! Let them look down their nose at that!
Good luck! We'll be looking forward to hearing how your day went!

Old 12-04-2006, 09:22 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Default Yes- tnbound-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Wow! Don't know where in Knoxville you are, but I moved here a couple of weeks ago and it is culture shock for me. I lived in the north Dallas area for 6 years prior to my move. Here, all the women seem to not give a **** about their appearance compared to Plano/Frisco, TX. Very casual and relaxe appearance, and I have yet to see a boob job or heavy make-up job on any chick here. Around the north Dallas suburbs, 50% of the women either have fake boobs, or they are planning on it and talk about it like they are getting a degree or something.

I guess it all depends on where you come from as to how casual it will seem. To me, the whole eastern part of the state is laid back country folk the best I can see. Hell, I thought I entered a time warp when I got here as I had never seen so many 80's hairstyles since, well, the 80's . And I stay in west Knoxville near the Turkey Creek area which is supposedly one of the "high end" areas.
That is sort of what I meant- I see LV satchels from the '80's and big hair-do's- also heavy bleaching and frosting, like Madonna did in the 80's. In S. Florida office environment they would look at you like yopu were behind the times if you walked in with these hair-do's- oh well to each their own.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:37 PM

My first day of work was great!

I think that y'all would be interested to hear this...

There are sixteen people in my class. Two of them are from Tennessee. The manager said that is the first time that they have a class where the transplants outnumbered the locals. Fascinating!

The people were from all over, but get ready for this...

I was the only one from Florida! That was a shocker.

The manager did make a disparaging comment about Florida. It was not directed at me. As a matter of fact, when I introduced myself to everyone, and said I was from Florida they all made sympathetic sounds.

Too funny!

I was the best dressed in the class! This thread lit a fire under my butt!

Old 12-05-2006, 06:40 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
ROFL! Good for you Hiknapster! Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:55 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
LOL!!!! Good for you! So glad you enjoyed your first day! Keep us posted and enjoy those new clothes! Us ladies understand how it makes you feel better knowing you look as good as you feel. Someday maybe guys and our husbands will get it and stop complaining about us buying more hahahhaaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee