Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 01:53 PM

27 posts, read 33,393 times

Advertisements

40° is chilly to us but VERY mild compared to below zero temps. Since I have livestock and have to get out there two times a day no matter how cold it is I have to deal with some pretty awful weather, so cold your snot freezes in your nose and fingers numb by the time you're done with chores so 20° is going to be a piece of cake for me. As well be a few inches of snow occasionally since we drive 60 mph on ice and snow covered roads. Course we'll probably be driving 20 mph on curvy mountain roads. Lol
It's all a matter of what you're use to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 02:03 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Chick View Post
How about calling the hospitals in Johnson City asking them. Ask for billing. They would certainly have a general idea.
Its not like most doctors don't accept Medicare that I know of anyway.

Just curious was there anything besides the mountains that draws you to the tri city area?
I'm a Kingsport native, but lived in the Midwest from 2012 through summer 2016.

The people that succeed in the Tri-Cities are often retirees from out of the area, those with a job not dependent on the local economy (telecommuters, a truck driver would probably be fine too), who are into the outdoors and understand the lack of big city things to do here.

Many people like the low traffic, small town atmosphere. Kingsport and Bristol sort of bill themselves as retirement destinations.

If you're into fine shopping, dining, major sports, concerts, etc., there isn't a lot of that locally. There is a lot of hunting and fishing.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:31 PM

We like both but mainly into staying home and enjoying country living. We can do fine dining and on the other hand be self sufficient. If the power goes out we can survive without outside help. Guess we're northern rednecks with a bit of urban saavy.

Like they say, we like to visit the city but wouldn't want to live there. Very comfortable with small town living and have been for almost 40 years.

My hubby loves to hunt and fish. We also enjoy day trips, just cruising around, enjoying the scenery and discovering things like obscure places to eat, mom and pop shops etc.

So you don't think I'm an alien from outer space I've created an album so you can get to know me.

Last edited by JMT; 10-03-2017 at 04:12 PM..

Old 10-03-2017, 04:53 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I don't think you will have any problems here. With that said, I think there are areas around Knoxville with the rural life you want, quicker access to anything you need (Tri-Cities is two hours from Knoxville, a little over three from Charlotte), and less of the dysfunction around the Tri-Cities.

The only exception I might recommend would be Unicoi County for its mountain terrain. It is a true gem, with wonderful views and relatively close to both Johnson City and Asheville.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:11 PM

Unicoi is on my list. East TN sounds very tempting but I think I'd like to be at least one hourish tops from Knoxville but who knows until we scout the different areas out.
Somebody said Erwin is a nice mountain town.
Haha on dysfunctionals. We have those in every town I think.

Last edited by JMT; 10-03-2017 at 06:30 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 08:57 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
It is definitely not true that you have to go to Knoxville for anything major. The Johnson City Medical Center is a Level I trauma center; the same thing you will find at UT in Knoxville or any major city. The medical helicopters in the Tri-Cities take people to Johnson City or Kingsport (which also has a Level I trauma center), not Knoxville. Other than perhaps some super-rare cancers or a highly specialized issue, you would never have to travel to Knoxville.
I have worked at both and I beg to differ. Now let's get back on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee