Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:00 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A new proposed law could extinguish the right of smokers to light up in cars with children.

The law would extend Tennessee's indoor smoking ban from restaurants to the roads. The bill in the Senate and House would make it illegal to smoke in a vehicle with a child present.

NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee - New Bill Would Ban Smoking In Cars With Children

Old 03-24-2008, 06:27 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,237 times
These laws are gaining in popularity. While I am one for personal rights of smokers. I have to totally agree with the law. Children have no choice in the matter.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:48 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,738 times
Smokers have no right to pollute the air that others breathe. Period.

As someone who grew up in a smoking household, with the predictable consequences, and found it an extremely difficult to kick the habit, I have long felt that parents smoking at home is a form of child abuse. In my opinion, the bill is merely a small step forward. Eventually, smoking indoors and in any confined space with children will be banned totally. That day is long overdue.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:09 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
Smokers have no right to pollute the air that others breathe. Period.

As someone who grew up in a smoking household, with the predictable consequences, and found it an extremely difficult to kick the habit, I have long felt that parents smoking at home is a form of child abuse. In my opinion, the bill is merely a small step forward. Eventually, smoking indoors and in any confined space with children will be banned totally. That day is long overdue.
And next they will tell you that you cant spank your kids. Or you have to send your kids to a certain school. Or you cant drive over 55 mph with your kids in the car because its dangerous. Keep giving away your parental rights and see how hard it will be to get them back!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:40 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,128 times
Next they will tell you your kids can only watch so much tv and they'll tell you that you must spend so many hours per day on reading to your child.Next they'll decide that the brand of food or the type of food you serve your children is unacceptable and they'll make laws regarding that. When does it stop?
My examples are gross exagerations but if we keep allowing them to make laws and accept it how will it ever stop this chipping away at our personal rights?
Next it will be that everyone must all attend the same church at the same time on the same day and we must all stop believing as we do because diversity isn't allowed.
Pam

Old 03-24-2008, 07:52 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
They already have said you can not spank your child. Not advocating abuse by any means here but look at the "time out" generation that is now in high school and just getting out into the work field. Not the same work ethics, pride in self and a lot of other things that just amaze me (not in a good way) such as the "me first" aspect.
Not saying smoking in cars with kids is good by any means but the decision as far as raising a child should not be up to a government.
Sad reality of the world is we all can't hug a tree a foe a criminal and make the world a grand place to live. It just won't work. Nice thought but not reality.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:06 AM

117 posts, read 447,437 times
Why stop there? Let's ban alcohol in homes with children. How about if you get a speeding ticket, you are no longer permitted to have your children in the car with you. Or this; unless you had a GPA of 3.0 or better, you are forbidden to help your child with their homework. No more home BBQ's, too much pollution. Besides, the kids might become pyromaniacs.
One thing for sure: you're quite right about that bill being a small step forward. Wait til you see what the next steps are.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
And next they will tell you that you cant spank your kids. Or you have to send your kids to a certain school. Or you cant drive over 55 mph with your kids in the car because its dangerous. Keep giving away your parental rights and see how hard it will be to get them back!
You believe you have a parental right to force your kids to breathe smoke filled air?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:21 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Im a reformed smoker. Hate smoking.Hate smelling smoke in my grandsons hair. Ciggs killed my mom and took my sisters lung. I still have bad memories of being enclosed in the car gaging from the smell of smoke from moms Pall Malls mixed with her emaraud perfume.LOL. But I never thought of it as child abuse.
What I hate more is government interference in our daily personal lives.

What will they do if you get caught smoking in the car with your kids. Arrest you, put your kids in state care, or with a foster family. Yeah, that will be better than smoking around them.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:25 AM

117 posts, read 447,437 times
Emaraud perfume! Now there's child abuse.....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee