Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 07:41 PM

81 posts, read 469,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWEEB View Post
now as for those who long for 1956...well i guess that it's based on your vantage point. i'm glad it's not 1956. i personally don't think separate bathrooms and sitting in the back of the bus was good for anybody.
I grew up in Michigan, those conditions didn't exist here although as I recall the back of the bus is where everybody wanted to sit because our bus driver was not familiar with soap. If this was 1956, in a few weeks Chevrolet would be releasing the 57 Belaire with the 283 V8. That should have been the last car designed because it was perfection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 03:57 PM

7 posts, read 14,804 times
Poodie has obviously never been to Tennesse !

Moderator cut: insulting

Old 12-13-2006, 04:05 PM

6 posts, read 28,979 times
Tennessee ppl have everything any other town has we just dont let it change us. If im a hick because i live in tennessee then by golly so be it.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:55 PM

17 posts, read 50,837 times
Default Hick

Usually refers to a country person, simple in life and laid back....nothing wrong with them. Won't try to ********* over, steal from you or leave you on the side of the road calling for help. And, believe it or not, we are not stupid like most think, it is that our language is spoken slowly to make it appear that way. Remember that next time you go through a "hickville" will you?

Old 12-14-2006, 02:49 AM

257 posts, read 1,082,091 times
UUUmmm, somehow this thread got off the topic!!! Can we go back to the original question please?

Old 12-14-2006, 04:42 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,232,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Help me understand what a hick is and why being a hick is bad.

The definition of hick in the dictionary reads as follows:

an unsophisticated, boorish, and provincial person; rube; not very intelligent or interested in culture; located in a rural or culturally unsophisticated area: a hick town.

I live outside a small town in Texas transplanted from CA. I do not think that being a hick or living is hicksville as referred in the dictionary is bad. There are very nice people that are "hicks."

And liking simple things does not make one a hick. I love the simple life, the important things in life, but I'm not what people think of as a hick.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:27 AM

122 posts, read 179,308 times
jkmewright what part of TN are you from to say it is HUMID, HUMID, HUMID?? Being a TN native now living in TX, I would take the TN humidity any day over what we have here in TX. And I am considered a "hick" but I do not fall in the definition given for one. I am called that here because of my accent and some of the slang words I use. I am proud to be a TN HICK and my roots run deep in that red clay mud and my blood runs TN ORANGE.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:27 AM

40 posts, read 223,910 times
Well Silly gal, the same thing happened to me when I started to make attempts to locate that "perfect place for me". I used the website Moderator cut: link cut and after entering all the information of what I thought was perfect for me lo and behold a few places in Tennessee came up (Knoxville, Johnson City, Chatanooga). I never really thought about Tennessee before since I'm from Lancaster, PA and my spouse is from Dallas, TX. But I guess it's about in the middle so that's good. Of course the main deciding factor in relocating is finding a good job there beforehand.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,084,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad123 View Post
Of course the main deciding factor in relocating is finding a good job there beforehand.
I applaud your common sense.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:52 PM

63 posts, read 402,827 times
Move to Nashville, or the surrounding suburbs. Its great here. Get a house at a good price while you can.

Ignore these some of the other people on here that give Tennesse the old redneck image, its not like that. Unless for some you reason choose to live on 10 acres in some rural town.

Theres alot of diversity here; with the influx of Hispanics, Asians, and other minorities coming in from other parts of the US its getting really diverse here, especially in areas like Antioch.

Brentwood and Franklin are getting pricey, but well worth the $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee