Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:38 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times

Advertisements

I used this in Texas where I encountered snakes on occasion (and we won't mention the scorpions in the house!) we used this saying on the coral snakes:

Red and yellow kill a fellow
Red and black venom lack

Poisonous coral snakes have red, yellow and black stripes. American king snakes have the same stripes. The difference is that the red and yellow touch on the poisonous snakes and on the American king snake the red and black stripes touch.

All I have ever seen here in east TN are your garden variety black snakes and copperheads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 07:32 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I must congratulate you Tennesseans for knowing a thing or two about snakes! Most snake threads I see are so full of bad information that I cant help but chuckle. The info posted thus far is accurate and to-the-point (minus the common "poisonous" term which is incorrect). Job well done!
If y'all ask nice I'll find a picture of our baby Diesel...

Old 06-03-2008, 08:21 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
If y'all ask nice I'll find a picture of our baby Diesel...
Seems to me the baby is like 12 feet long.....

Old 06-03-2008, 09:06 PM

Probably closer to 14 feet now. Suffice it to say he keeps the frozen bunny population at bay here at our place lol. And keep in mind, the females grow another 10 feet longer. I'll try to find a recent pic...

Old 06-04-2008, 01:24 AM

196 posts, read 640,557 times
In TN they have 100 foot pythons that can swallow you whole! I know. One swallowed me once but spit me out cuz I had not showered in a month. They break in your house and will eat you. You must keep a tank on hand to stop them or a bazooka! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Just playing. Have had one to many beers and I dont live in TN but I sure want to.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:37 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
All I have ever seen here in east TN are your garden variety black snakes and copperheads.
Just be careful, cottonmouths are often very dark in appearance (black), too.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:06 PM

103 posts, read 335,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Just be careful, cottonmouths are often very dark in appearance (black), too.

Cottonmouths are usually found near water arent' they? I've rarely seen one here, but there is no mistaking the solid white inside of their mouths. At any rate, you can always tell if a snake is poisonous by the vertical iris of their eyes.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:01 PM

36,524 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Who gets close enough to look them in the eye?

Old 06-04-2008, 01:15 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Who gets close enough to look them in the eye?
I didn't even know they had eyes.........

Old 06-04-2008, 01:18 PM

And...once you see their cottony mouth you're in trouble. I was thinking the same thing about that one... lol!

best to learn the patterns you need to avoid. There really aren't that many.

But if you encounter a venomous snake close enough to bite you, I imagine that angry look would be marked indelibly on your memory.

If you're bitten, I believe the advice if I recall, is to isolate the bitten area (tourniquet?) and get to the hospital asap. If I remember correctly, keeping your heart rate as low as possible was something to strive for as well.

As I think I saw on here, people rarely "die" from snakebite nowadays unless you're without resources (nearby hospital).

We have pet snakes and really enjoy them (except for the poop of the big one; he poops like a horse). We also have Northern ringnecks everywhere around here, which are just stunning! And garter snakes that are neat as well.

This has been a really mature thread, lacking all the "EEEW, I'd kill any snake I found!" I've seen in other threads.

That said, if I find a copperhead in my yard, I'd be hard-pressed to err on the side of the snake, for fear of its offspring biting my child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee