Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:05 AM

3 posts, read 15,846 times

Advertisements

We want to move to Tennessee and find a few acres in the country. What's the nicest places to visit? Or maybe some acreage with an older fixer-upper. A friend told us to find property that already has electric and water on it so we could just put a mobile home on it. Even that would suit us. We're not rich, but doing ok. Just want to get out of a tourist town and into the country, we're small town people originally. Seems like there's a big difference between different counties and area's in TN. What's the most beautiful area? Most affordable? Are there any places we should stay away from? I have so many questions, sorry. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:55 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
West TN is just kind of depressing IMO. Just something about it. It's probably cheaper though.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:15 AM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
The further East you go the more mountains and lakes/rivers there is. Mikes right, you probably could find a lot cheaper land in West TN though. Not trying to sound like some type of snob here, but If I were you I would probably buy an older house and fix it up/renovate. It would more likely appreciate in value than a mobile home. Glad you picked TN.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:40 PM

Thank you both for your thoughts. Actually an older home that needs some work would be our first pick, over a mobile home, but will be ok living in a shack if we had to. The land is most important, we'd be bringing horses with us. We're just waiting till we sell our house in FL. Tennessee is our absolute favorite state to visit when we make trips up north to visit family. It's gorgeous, but I've only seen area's around Rt 75. What are the best cities in TN as far as jobs, economy, crime, etc? I don't need to be real close to the mountains, but is it flat on west side? Actually, no where could be more flat than florida. My family is originally from PA, Seven Springs Ski Resort area, so I miss the hills big time.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:02 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Most places west of Nashville the land is not exactly flat, not like Iowa cornfields flat, but I don't really think of it as hilly terrain either. It's more of a gently rolling landscape I guess. It can be pretty in it's own way, but personally I find the areas in middle and eastern Tennessee to be more interesting. I do like the area around Kentucky Lake up near the Kentucky border though.

Last edited by DubbleT; 08-01-2008 at 05:14 PM..

Old 08-01-2008, 05:13 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
I am in N.E. TN so can only speak for this area but when I think horses and cheap land, I think West and North Greene Co., Sneedville area Bailington, and Fall Branch areas. All beautiful in views and low in crime.
Not sure if that helps any but hope it might.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:40 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Do you have kids?.... are you a professional? ..... are you going to retire?.... or are you retired....? these question that you answer will direct you to your destination.
If you can camp then spend some time camping and exploring Tennessee.... Find some greasy spoon restaurant that the locals hang out, ask questions. Most Chamber of Commerces have tons of information. So much information that it's wise to set up a bogus e-mail box and use that as a point of contact...... Have fun exploring

Old 08-02-2008, 07:10 AM

The kids are all grown up, can't retire yet so would have to work. We are business owners here, so going to keep business running while checking out TN. Would actually like to sell house, business and all. Thanks for the good advice and areas to look at!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:34 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheCountry View Post
The kids are all grown up, can't retire yet so would have to work. We are business owners here, so going to keep business running while checking out TN. Would actually like to sell house, business and all. Thanks for the good advice and areas to look at!
Since jobs are a concern, you might want to stay fairly close to the Nashville area since that's where most of the job growth in Tennessee is taking place. Also--and this might not be important to you but it is to me--the Nashville airport is the only one in the state with Southwest Airlines, so air fares are easily half out of Nashville what they are out of other airports in Tennessee, especially those in East Tennessee (Knoxville, Chattanooga, and the Tri Cities).

Cannon County might be worth investigating. It's still rural, it's beautiful, and it's within easy commuting distance to booming Murfreesboro.

Or Smith County which is within easy commuting distance to Lebanon and Mount Juliet.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:15 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Cool business owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheCountry View Post

If I may ask what sort of business........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee