Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:44 AM

105 posts, read 521,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by H10 View Post
Wait, Church of God? Don't they use snakes in their worship?

I think my endorsement would have to go to Johnson if that's the case. While I doubt Johnson's quality and have a few quibbles about their theology, not to mention their "MRS" program being a disgrace on the body of Christ, all of those negatives are better than ingesting snake venom...
Not all of them. Stereotype.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 08:45 AM

222 posts, read 639,237 times
Quote:

I think my endorsement would have to go to Johnson if that's the case. While I doubt Johnson's quality and have a few quibbles about their theology, not to mention their "MRS" program being a disgrace on the body of Christ, all of those negatives are better than ingesting snake venom...
You're surely joking, but in case anyone reading thinks you're not. No, Lee University is not a place that endorses using snakes in worship. I won't bite (pun intended) and say all the other things I'd like to say in response to such a post.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:05 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:

Thought I would hear something like this a lot sooner. Please study up on the Church of God. There are several that use a version of this name. This denomination is based in Cleveland, same city as the university. It does not handle snakes, does not promote it and never has. Please do a little research before posting something inflamatory like this.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:12 PM
H10

89 posts, read 308,191 times
If you'll re-read my post, I was asking, not accusing. The answer would be "no" then? That might have been easier to say.

The Church of God with Signs Following (Pentecostal Holiness) does and the Church of God (Pentecostal Christian) does not. Not being familiar with Lee, I did not know which they were affiliated with, thanks for the helpful response to my question .

Old 09-15-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
If you'll re-read my post, I was asking, not accusing. The answer would be "no" then? That might have been easier to say.

The Church of God with Signs Following (Pentecostal Holiness) does and the Church of God (Pentecostal Christian) does not. Not being familiar with Lee, I did not know which they were affiliated with, thanks for the helpful response to my question .
All well and good. However, I did start this thread to ask TN natives to give their take on Lee's reputation within the state. If you really thought that a University that is well placed on US News' ranking of colleges and is the second largest private college in the state after Vanderbilt would advocate handling snakes, then maybe you should consider your ability to be helpful in this thread, instead of me having to be the one to inform you.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:47 PM
H10

I truly hope you're joking. If you think well ranked universities never participate in or promote morally ambiguous acts and/or policies then the past propagation of sexism and racism by America's best must have been... a-okay?

Old 09-15-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I truly hope you're joking. If you think well ranked universities never participate in or promote morally ambiguous acts and/or policies then the past propagation of sexism and racism by America's best must have been... a-okay?
I did not start this thread to get into any arguments. I have just sent my first child to a college out of state that we researched as best we could being several states away. I wanted feedback on this college from those in the state it is located.

You were completely off on your first comment on Lee, you have nothing more to be of use for this thread and now you are baiting for some kind of argument. Please move to the politics thread if you want some of that please.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:52 PM
H10

Wow . If you'll go back through, I've contributed two things to this subject completely of my own volition...

1. Saying Lee is probably the better Christian College in the area (compared to Johnson).

2. In response to someone noting that Lee is Church of God, I asked which one: a.) The Church of God with Signs Following (Pentecostal Holiness) - pro-snake incorporated worship or b.) the Church of God (Pentecostal Christian) which is not.

Everything else was in direct response to your inflammatory remarks. You've ruined this thread for everyone and I will no longer participate in responding to your nonsensical rants.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:06 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
DH and I are both Lee graduates (bachelor of arts) who continued on to master's and PHD programs at a large university. We were extremely well prepared for graduate work and were consistently at the top of our classes. We consider the education we received at Lee outstanding.

We are not affiliated with the denomination of the Church of God and have no reason to give a prejudiced report. However, we remain friends with many of our teachers from Lee - including the president - Dr. Paul Conn. This is another advantage of a small school.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
DH and I are both Lee graduates (bachelor of arts) who continued on to master's and PHD programs at a large university. We were extremely well prepared for graduate work and were consistently at the top of our classes. We consider the education we received at Lee outstanding.

We are not affiliated with the denomination of the Church of God and have no reason to give a prejudiced report. However, we remain friends with many of our teachers from Lee - including the president - Dr. Paul Conn. This is another advantage of a small school.
Thanks for that encouragement, we are not in the denomination either even though I do admire the churches in Atlanta that I was familiar with in the Church of God.

Just had a good chat with my son, glad to report he is doing well. The first three weekends he headed to Atlanta to be with friends, but the last two weekends he has remained on campus and participated in events there. Sounds like he has found a little lady that has his interests as well. Glad to hear he is adjusting.

He mentioned his favorite class is Gateway. It is taught by the dean of the school of arts and sciences. Sounds like an extended freshman orientation. Do you have any insight on what exactly Gateway is?

All of you who have given feedback from your experience there, thank you so much. It is helping with the sadness of seeing the first off from home, especially being so far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee