Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 10:29 AM

5 posts, read 21,737 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Tennessee in summer of 2010.
I would like to spend some time visiting different areas prior to that time.
I am hoping to get some advice on areas I might consider.

Alittle about me:
I have spend many years living in places like Maine and Wisconsin with an average snowfall 50-100 inches. I want no more of that!!
10-15 inches of snowfall is a piece of cake, if that is what Eastern Tennessee is really getting. Average snowfall in my area of Wisconsin is supposed to be 35 inches annually yet we got about 100 inches last year (Boo)

First hand info on snowfall and ice in the towns recommended to me would be great.

Anywhere from south eastern Tennessee to north eastern Tennesse is a consideration.

Here is my criteria/wishlist:
1. I have a degree in Heath Information Technology so I will need to be within 15-20 miles of some good/decent sized hospitals.
2. I have a school aged child so I need reputable schooling.
3. I am used to living in rural towns (5000-10000) with trees as my neighbor and I would like to maintain that feel. I don't want to live in a poor rural town, a "main street" or block of quaint downtown shops is a must. The community must have some character.
4. I'm sure this goes w/o saying but low crime is a must.
5. I like lakes, and mountains so the closer to them the better.
6. Friendly people willing to accept newcomers would be good.
7. Please, no tourist trap type towns.

Well, I guess that about covers the "impossible" list.
I welcome any and all suggestions. I also welcome pictures!

Last edited by kristin297; 11-12-2008 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: Forgot to list something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 11:23 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,612 times
Cool Greeneville

K: Welcome . Rt # 321 ENE of KNoxville will find Greeneville. HOme of President Andrew Johnson. This / Tusculum sounds like a starting point
or bulls-eye. Dont tell everyone a secret till you move.!
. SNOW -NO Problem, any TENN snow is about 2" or 3inches , melted by the next day.
.PLAN B, would be East of Knoxville along Rt # 411.
Greeneville and Greene County Tennessee Welcomes You to greenEville.com!

Old 11-12-2008, 11:30 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Tri Cities

Old 11-12-2008, 12:55 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Blountville might be a good match. It is a very small town with a historic/somewhat charming downtown center. It's right in the middle of the three Tri-Cities so it's a fairly short drive to Bristol Regional Medical, Johnson City Medical, and Kingsport's (whose name I am blanking on at the moment, in a hurry, writing before I leave for work, lol!).

Otherwise you might try looking at Jonesborough (though it can be touristy at times), Greeneville (the actual population is around 16k but the county is larger, making Greeneville look and feel more like a town of around 30-40k).

About snow, yeah, the data shows 10-12 inches or whatever. In reality, we get none, unless you're living in Mountain City.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:58 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Default Tri-Cities

I agree with just about anywhere in the Tri-Cities. Snowfall stats say average of 12 inches per year but we are very lucky if we get more than 2 inches at a time and that is usually gone within 6 hours or so. ( I am from CT and wish we got more snow here! )
Schools are good, some are great. I believe all of them have come in above state standards this year. As for medical, we have a BUNCH. Not only several very large hospitals but building of more medical complex type areas are being built.
As for "Main Street" areas with quaint little shops...well, pick a town hahahahha.
There are several around. Such as Kingsport......

Johnson City........

Jonesborough........

Little outside of Tri-Cities, about 30 minutes away, Greeneville.......

Lakes and Mountains...oh yea, we have those too.

Jonesborough is about the closest to what you could call a "tourist town" but that is really only certain times of the year when they host the National Story Telling Festival, or holidays. Crime is low, sure there are small pockets of it, but can be easily avoided. For the most part, friendly people who welcome all.
Hope that helps.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Wow. Jonesborough looks exactly like the town I am from.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,884 times
Default East TN

I also am in the medical field. There are 2 hospitals in Greeneville but they never hire unless it's RN's. Johnson City and Kingsport have larger hospitals and are part of chains (both of them).

I've been here 3 years and have yet to see snow. We had maybe one day a year where it might drizzle snow all day but it's gone by morning, nothing like we were used to. The weather is actually moderate. It gets to the 20s in the worst part of winter and summers are mild up until August. It's like we are in a weatherless bubble.

As far as people especially friendly to newcomers, seems like they all are. We have met tons of people from Michigan and the northern states, so the really friendly southern folks are being replaced slowly but surely. It's like any other area, some nice, some are not. Lots of landlords in hiding around here, rent it and then run away.

We have our share of crime, but of course not like big cities. Johnson City has much more than we do. We are actually leaving this area due to lack of work for young people and going around Elizabethton, which is not far from Johnson City but still not a huge place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee