Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:25 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The Jamestown area has a lot of horse farms and I like the fact that it is close to Pickett State Park. I enjoyed my time there when I visitied. I noticed that Crossville area has seen a lot of new housing development, commercial, and restaurant expansion.
Crossville is very good for retirees that want to be around a lot of other retirees. A lot of the retirees that I talked to say that it is a bit far removed from other places for their tastes, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen48089 View Post
Thank you to all. We ended up buying cheap land with a house. I should of mentioned that I wasn't born in the south but my Father was and I was raised with the south attitude. My parents fly the rebel flag on the front porch in Michigan. We will be moving to Iron City TN in about a month. I still have a lot of family in Kentucky so I understand the friendliness. English up here is now the second language and I do not want my daughter raised like that. The only thing we did not like about our trip to TN was the law of no smoking in public places. Not really concerned if my neighbors like us or not, my yard is big enough to stay to myself. Upon our return to Michigan I was reading our local paper and the park at the end of my street was targeted for robbery at gun point more than 5 occassions by 2 black males. And people wonder why my teen daughter has to stay in the house and play video games. Looking forward to my return to the south
Congratulations!!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 06:12 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I understand. Athens is adorable. It reminds me a bit of where I was raised, in Mass. Same population. But wow, you are right. I covered our local courthouse for 10 years and never saw crime like they have in Athens. That's a lot.

And I understand why Maryville would be too large for you. I was kind of looking for a town like Athens, minus the crime, when we moved to Tennessee, but of course, with job concerns, we ended up in Knoxville, but Fountain City is a good compromise for us.

I see why you would like Seymour. We have a nice, retired lady on the Knoxville forum that lives there and just loves it. She gets a lot of freebies for the local shows and attractions because she lives in Sevier County. It's very close to the mountains but also to Knoxville.
Hi,

Today we went through Jonesborough, JC, Gray and Kingsport.

Gray was to small and is really a bedroom community for JC or Kingsport. LOTS of condo's apts. JC and Kingsport are like Maryville only bigger. Tomorrow we will check out Elizabethton. Jonesborough was very nice and I love the old town. It was just a bit busy for us though.

Marysville, JC, Kingsport, Bristol and even Knoxville would be great cities for someone in their 20s, 30's 0r 40's who want a lot of activities, services and schools for children with all that goes with it. Also job opportunities and advancement are better found in such areas.

For those of us who are past that, the quiet of the smaller communities, though close to such bigger cities, works out quite well. My wife and I will probably end up in Seymour, If tomorrows outing does not change our minds we will head back to Seymour Thursday. We will look on the other side of Knoxville to avoid missing any other place we might like. However the rural nature of Seymour, very low county taxes, proximity to Sevierville, Marysville and Knoxville for services and the great beauty of the area make it hard to beat in our opinion, for someone who is retiring or works part time and has no major medical issues.

Probably will move in August with a trip in July to buy a place. Being rural and with no real zoning issues I may well be able to build a warehouse on my future property for any business I may need to relocate to TN in the future (I hope not to).

Oh, the visit to 411 Dragway in Seymour was a true trip back to 1965. What a hoot. Gotta take my GTO there when the engine is done.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:31 AM

4 posts, read 9,855 times
Thumbs up Can't tell you how helpful this poster was to us

One of our children has a heart condition. It's great to know she will be in good hands if we end up in the NW part of the state.

[quote=kingchef;8491713] jackson contains one of the largest medical centers in the state...its heart institution and transplant facilities surpass those of the memphis medical district and those of st. thomas and vanderbuilt in nashville, tn. this institution has the lowest rate of infection and the lowest death rate for transplants in the state of tn. in addition, there are advanced services/technologies for cancer research/treatment, kidney dialysis, gastorinterology, and heart disease. quote]

Old 05-09-2009, 08:24 AM

11 posts, read 32,499 times
When we returned to TN to close on the house we stopped at the welcome center. Picked up tons of information. Highly recommend for new comers to the state. The only piece of info that we cannot locate is when do Tennessee plates for the vehicle expire? My plates in Michigan expire this month and I am not sure if I want to renew them here for a year then redo everything again next month when I get down there. Any advice?

Old 05-09-2009, 09:09 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen48089 View Post
When we returned to TN to close on the house we stopped at the welcome center. Picked up tons of information. Highly recommend for new comers to the state. The only piece of info that we cannot locate is when do Tennessee plates for the vehicle expire? My plates in Michigan expire this month and I am not sure if I want to renew them here for a year then redo everything again next month when I get down there. Any advice?
TN tags go in a 12 month rotation cycle. So, if you are tagged in May of this year you will renew by April 30 next year. You will not get credit for out of state tags but tags here are inexpensive compared to most states (around $30). The cops can "get you" for expired out of state tags but the DMV won't care when you go in to apply for TN tags.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:35 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,711 times
[quote=4B2G;8709881]One of our children has a heart condition. It's great to know she will be in good hands if we end up in the NW part of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
jackson contains one of the largest medical centers in the state...its heart institution and transplant facilities surpass those of the memphis medical district and those of st. thomas and vanderbuilt in nashville, tn. this institution has the lowest rate of infection and the lowest death rate for transplants in the state of tn. in addition, there are advanced services/technologies for cancer research/treatment, kidney dialysis, gastorinterology, and heart disease. quote]

i'm so glad. jackson-madison county general hospital is part of the west tn healthcare network. it has an extensive web site, if you care for additional information. all hospitals must furnish their mortality rates, infection rates, etc. these are conveiently posted online.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:46 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,641 times
Love living in Tennessee. It was a great place for a 2nd chance. The only problem I have is that due to everyone moving here and the economy tanking there are no jobs. I had to find a job in Louisiana and commute.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:02 AM

11 posts, read 32,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Love living in Tennessee. It was a great place for a 2nd chance. The only problem I have is that due to everyone moving here and the economy tanking there are no jobs. I had to find a job in Louisiana and commute.

I actullay found a job in Alabama which is only about 20 mins from Iron City. We noticed a lot of out of state plates on both of our trips down to TN. I am looking forward to moving to our new house. The biggest factor was moving my daughter for safety reasons. Her school here has lockdown at least once a month. I am really scared for her.
Thanks to all for your comments

Old 05-24-2009, 01:29 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,515,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnMall View Post
TN tags go in a 12 month rotation cycle. So, if you are tagged in May of this year you will renew by April 30 next year. You will not get credit for out of state tags but tags here are inexpensive compared to most states (around $30). The cops can "get you" for expired out of state tags but the DMV won't care when you go in to apply for TN tags.
Is that per your birth month or when you first register your vehicle in TN ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee