Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 09:50 PM

218 posts, read 841,593 times

Advertisements

OK, so this thread pertains to more than just TN, but since there aren't any regional forums I figured this would be as good a place as any. I'm looking to move -- I'm just tired of where I am -- and I could potentially go anywhere. On the basis of the following criteria I'm looking for in a city, I was hoping you guys could give me some recommendations to check out.

A side note: I can't explain why, but I LOVE the Deep South. It's got a "coolness" and edge that you simply can't find anywhere else. I love the delta blues and R&B of Memphis, for instance, and the rundown areas that were once prosperous but still have soul.

1. CULTURE. I NEED a city with a good clubs to see shows. I'm particularly into garage, punk, Rolling Stones knockoffs, psych, etc. Also, museums, zoos, etc. etc. etc. are a plus.

2. PROGRESSIVENESS. I don't mind a wealth of Bible-beaters and strict Baptists (as much of the South is packed with) as long as there is a decent sized community of liberal and socially-minded people.

3. GOOD FOOD. I'm vegan so I need at least a few restaurants with some good vegetarian options.

4. DECENT WEATHER. I used to think that I don't mind winter weather, but I've noticed that too many gray days in a row makes me feel depressed after a while. I don't like humidity, but I can tolerate it. I prefer a dry climate, though.

5. I DON'T MIND CRIME OR POOR SCHOOLS. I've graduated college and I'm not planning on having kids soon, so I don't mind things such as this at the moment.

6. HISTORY. I love the delta blues and R&B background of Memphis, for instance. I also enjoy rundown areas that were once prosperous but still have some of that "soul" leftover.

Even though I'm most interested in the Deep South, please don't limit your responses to that area. I also love Austin TX, for example, even though it doesn't really fit in with my qualifications. I haven't travelled extensively, but I really like Memphis and Baltimore if it gives any reference point.

Thanks for any responses! Let me know if you need any other info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 10:39 PM

730 posts, read 1,920,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
OK, so this thread pertains to more than just TN, but since there aren't any regional forums I figured this would be as good a place as any. I'm looking to move -- I'm just tired of where I am -- and I could potentially go anywhere. On the basis of the following criteria I'm looking for in a city, I was hoping you guys could give me some recommendations to check out.

A side note: I can't explain why, but I LOVE the Deep South. It's got a "coolness" and edge that you simply can't find anywhere else. I love the delta blues and R&B of Memphis, for instance, and the rundown areas that were once prosperous but still have soul.

1. CULTURE. I NEED a city with a good clubs to see shows. I'm particularly into garage, punk, Rolling Stones knockoffs, psych, etc. Also, museums, zoos, etc. etc. etc. are a plus.

2. PROGRESSIVENESS. I don't mind a wealth of Bible-beaters and strict Baptists (as much of the South is packed with) as long as there is a decent sized community of liberal and socially-minded people.

3. GOOD FOOD. I'm vegan so I need at least a few restaurants with some good vegetarian options.

4. DECENT WEATHER. I used to think that I don't mind winter weather, but I've noticed that too many gray days in a row makes me feel depressed after a while. I don't like humidity, but I can tolerate it. I prefer a dry climate, though.

5. I DON'T MIND CRIME OR POOR SCHOOLS. I've graduated college and I'm not planning on having kids soon, so I don't mind things such as this at the moment.

6. HISTORY. I love the delta blues and R&B background of Memphis, for instance. I also enjoy rundown areas that were once prosperous but still have some of that "soul" leftover.

Even though I'm most interested in the Deep South, please don't limit your responses to that area. I also love Austin TX, for example, even though it doesn't really fit in with my qualifications. I haven't travelled extensively, but I really like Memphis and Baltimore if it gives any reference point.

Thanks for any responses! Let me know if you need any other info.
Nashville followed by Chattanooga. Slightly better, though not much better, weather in Chattanooga though a little hotter/muggier. Of course you could move to San Francisco as well.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:33 AM

7,544 posts, read 17,275,086 times
Memphis, Austin, Nashville maybe. Too bad there's no Austin in Arizona as that would fit your criteria better as far as weather goes. Mayyyybe some St. Louis? Check out Savannah and Birmingham, though not sure about the arts scene on those. As far as smaller cities go, Asheville NC, Charleston SC, Chattanooga

Sounds like what you really want is New Orleans, Memphis or St. Louis. The weather in all those is quite humid, though.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 PM

623 posts, read 1,545,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
Nashville followed by Chattanooga. Slightly better, though not much better, weather in Chattanooga though a little hotter/muggier. Of course you could move to San Francisco as well.
He mentioned liking live shows twice, which pretty much rules out Chattanooga. I wouldn't recommend here for any young, single grad interested in anything other than focusing on career or family.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:41 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,351,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
w/ the exception of your weather requirement, sounds like memphis would , w/out a doubt, be your best bet. nashville, tn is too small, too countrified and and hee haw in feeling. go to www.nashvillecharrette.com. pretty accurate about city thought and problems. this is, by no means, extensive. has a small town feeling and small town streets to boot. crime is bad, pretty large uneducated population. few very upscale restaurants. goten on westend did, at one time, excel in great sushi. country music is their thing...even that has been under attack by branson, mo, which has reportedly taken about 33% to 35% of the entertainment business in town---branson is now considered to be the mecca of country music-western entertainment. town (nash) has no blues clubs to speak of. much of town is in need of urban renewal. north, east, and parts of west nashville are ghetto-type neighborhoods. downtown has tried to jump start w/ some new housing. small resident population of about 3600. county continues to lose population to surrounding counties---white flight. nashville does generally have fair weather and it is situated in gent rolling hills. pretty lakes and rural scenery. chattanooga is esentially rural in feeling, although it continues modest growth. it has cleaned up a great deal in the last 10 to 15 yrs. some renewal of downtown center; however, it is still pretty dead. not a great night life. beautiful country...mountainous, streams, lakes, caves. many east tns can be very backward and some are redneck to the bone. there is a fair amount of southern hospitality. visit these cities personally and make your decision; however, memphis has the urban vibe for which you seem to be looking. it has a large 24 hour downtown population of 30-34000. mixed housing is available but limited at this time. several high and midrise buildings for housing under construction. one beale, which is due to begin construction any time, will house a mix of condominiums, rental, hotel rooms. it will also contain office space. the project has been retooled and reportedly will top out at approximately 650 ft. or approximately 44 floors. other high rise housing is to be built on jefferson (the edge of the medical center.) downtown, midtown, and the medical center all currently have building projects for housing underway. therefore, needs are being addressed. good luck and welcome to tn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee