Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 10:21 AM

51 posts, read 335,592 times

Advertisements

Yes, English is the main language in Tennessee ^_^

Old 07-03-2006, 10:54 AM

14 posts, read 47,474 times
Default There's one in every crowd...

Bobbie,

You should watch the Phoenix news or read a Phoenix newspaper sometime.

I have no reason to exaggerate.

Road rage is currently out of control.

There was a lady sitting at a stop light at the corner of Main and Alma School Road, (less than a mile from where I live) when a white Monte Carlo pulled up next to her and shot her.

The same thing happened to a well liked, young attorney, just a few weeks before that and it keeps happening over and over.

I won't go into the gross details of the dead body they found burning in the trunk of a car, a few days ago.

Kidnappings, home invasions, drive by shootings, child mollestations, personal robberies, car theft and the "Serial Rapists" are getting worse by the minute.

You probably have no idea what a "Coyote" (not the wild dog like animal) or a "Drop House" is, but they bust at least a half a dozen of them here every week.

If you'd like to visit me sometime, we'll walk around my apartment complex and you'll soon see just exactly how many families live here that "No Speaky Engly". I never mentioned the "Mexicans"...you came up with that one. I'm referring to ALL nationalities who move to the USA and don't respect our country enough to learn the language.

Do you think that I want to pack my family and our belongings and move from one of the most beautiful places in this whole country, just because we have nothing better to do?

Or, do you KNOW me well enough to call me an obsessive liar???

And yes, small town Indiana LOVES the illegals, because it's new people moving to an otherwise stagnet town. The city officials have in their heads that this new flow of people (no matter who they are) are adding to the otherwise stagnet economy...they are not. They send most of their money Outside of The Border, while taking what little employment there is from people who have live their lifetimes there.

I don't care where you have lived in the past. In fact, I don't care where you live now.

I lived in L.A. an a few other cities in Cali too. Phoenix's nick-name is "L.A. in the desert".

I lived here in the Valley in the late 70's and early 80's. Like they say, "Times Change". The Valley has certainly changed...for the worse.

If you'd like to walk a mile or two in my shoes, you'd definitely tuck your tail and go running back to where ever you came from.

As far as me taking your advice to "Stay out of Tennessee"... If I thought the whole state was full of people with your mentality, I certainly would stay away.

Fortunately for me, I know that there are more people in Tennessee who are kinder and wiser than you'll ever be. THEY probably wish YOU'D stay away.

If you don't like what I've got to say about this hell-hole (Phoenix), then don't read my posts.

If you'd like to see what others have to say about Phoenix, read their posts, before you decide to crawl up my butt.

Have a great day.

R.H. aka "Bluesstringer".

Last edited by bluesstringer; 07-03-2006 at 11:37 AM..

Old 07-03-2006, 11:00 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
I agree with everything others have said except one thing. We just returned from 2 weeks in the area and I can tell you that cleanliness, especially in restaurants, is NOT what you are used to. The larger the city, the better, but small towns, no. From your description of your youth you grew up in an environment not dissimilar from my own. Northerners are cleans freaks for some reason. Spoiled, we are.

I found myself having to pick dried food off my plate when I sat down, trying to figure out what the brown stuff was in the beer glass (I drank from the bottle), and cleaning my own table after it had been set. Not just in one restaurant, it is a prevalent problem.

That said, I had some very good to excellent meals there. Food is great (skip Pizza Hut, yuk) but take some Handi-wipes, you'll need them.

Old 07-03-2006, 11:16 AM

Default Yuck...

Hi Tech Freek,

Thanks for your reply.

I've seen the "Brown Stuff" too. (LOL)

Our local news here does a segment every Thursday night called "Dirty Dining".

They point out all of the places that get low ratings from the Health Department.

This past Thursday, they mentioned a "La-cuca-racha" restaruant that was serving meat that was dated "March 26".

If you love food posioning, this is the place to be.

Personally, I hate to spend my money on garbage, when I can get it for free out of the dumpsters.

It's a pleasure to hear from you.

Thanks again and have a safe and happy 4th.

R.H. aka "Bluesstringer".

Old 07-03-2006, 11:32 AM

Default Thank you..Raggysgirl

I'm glad to hear from you.

I apreciate the fact that you are moving to Tennessee for a happier way of life. I sincerely wish you the best.

Thanks for letting me know of the high rent in Nashville.

I've visited Nashville several times and have noticed that things in general seem to be a little higher there, than in other parts of the state.

In my younger days, I drove a truck all across the map.

I am very aware that there is crime around every corner here in the good old US of A.

It is just so bad here, that I don't like to have to worry about the safety of my wife or myself, on a simple trip to the local Wal-Mart.

If you take downtown Detroit, the southside of Chicago, the South Central district of L.A. and mix them with a little of the Red Zone of Boston, you'd certainly have a place that's just a little more friendly than some parts of the Phoenix Valley.

Thanks again and good luck with your move.

Take care.

R.H aka "Bluesstringer".

Old 07-03-2006, 12:51 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
Default Jeepers

You sound like a real winner there Bluestrings. My guess is that the non-English speaking folks you so strongly condemn probably have a rather low opinion of you too. I wonder why.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:37 PM

Default You're probably wrong...

Mo-Mark.

You are reading the wrong thing into this thread...

I do not "dis-like" anyone because of the language they speak.

My point all along has been the FACT that it is very hard to communicate and make friends with ANYONE who can't speak English.

That's it....nothing else implied.

I don't care if someone speaks 52 different languages. If I can't communicate with them, it's nearly impossible to make friends with them. Dig?

Follow these steps...

1. READ the post.
2. COMPREHEND what the author is stating.
3. THEN reply.

After over 3 years of not being able to communicate with people in my area, I find that making friends is somewhat tough.

Since you don't know me or the thoughts in my head and you have no idea of the time and money that I spend contributing to charitable work, you are completely wrong.

You speak English, but since you obviously can't comprehend the English that you are reading, I probably wouldn't want to make friends with you either.

My dad was in WWII fighting non-English speaking people, so YOU could have your freedom.

I lost my brother in Viet-Nam, fighting non-English speaking people, so YOU could have your freedom.

I've been disabled for over 16 years due to an RPG attack in Desert Storm by non-English speaking people, so YOU could have your freedom.

Am I so completely wrong by wanting to speak English in my own darned country, so that I can enjoy life with good friends and neighbors?

Find someone else to criticize. Or better yet, go help YOUR neighbor who can't speak English learn to speak English, so we can all live together just a little better.

Last edited by bluesstringer; 07-03-2006 at 03:14 PM..

Old 07-03-2006, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 8,705 times
bluestringer

I totally relate to what you say. I live in FL and I am moving to TN in about a month. We just got back from a visit to TN and EVERYONE was very friendly and it was nice to stand in Wal Mart and not have to listen to 10 other languages. I have nothing against foreign people but have always felt that if they live here and have the rights of an American than they should speak the language too.

As for restrauants we ate out most of the time and everywhere was wonderful.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:28 PM

7 posts, read 7,071 times
Dude,

Even in the secluded mountains of TN you will find plenty of Non English Speakers. A friend of mine is in real estate management and has to carry a Spanish English dictionary in order to work. My mother lives in a small town in a tiny county in the foothills of Western NC. She is surrounded by Asian immigrants who moved there from the West Coast.
Also, historically the Southeastern united states has some of the highest homicide rates in the country. Its more evenly spread and not concentrated in large population centers like NYC or LA or Pheonix, but it is still there.
Go ahead and make your move to TN (I went to college in Nashville and served in the ministry in a parish in Columbia TN). You will find the folks there are friendly, until you decided to start telling them how you did things in Indiana. Then you will know how it feels to be an immigrant.
Hey, you might just fit right in, just be ready.....

Old 07-04-2006, 04:04 PM

111 posts, read 598,921 times
i went back to lewisburg, tn last month and was suprised that all the convience stores were owned by indians. no big deal ,but strange that in 10 years my home town has changed so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee