Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:31 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,192 times

Advertisements

Tennessee is trying to become the first state to prod teenagers to pull up their britches by kicking them in their wallets.

It’s not the first to try to outlaw the saggy pants style, a national fad worn mostly by young men that offends many because the legwear is drooped enough to expose the underwear (or worse)...

Tennessee might be the first to succeed though because a proposal remains alive in the Legislature to levy a fine of up to $250 and 160 hours of community service for wearing pants “below the person’s waistline ... in a manner that exposes the person’s underwear or bare buttocks.”

TN cracking down on saggy pants; fine hits below belt : State and Regional News : Knoxville News Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 10:39 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Oh Good God. Really??? I can't believe we're even discussing this.

Well, maybe we can compromise? If they also pass a bill outlawing shoulder pads, then.... I'm all for it.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:49 AM

67 posts, read 383,314 times
Well, thank goodness they specified underwear... if not, my toddler would be in for it for exposing his diaper. He is so skinny that his pants are always falling too low! Although, we are going to be potty training soon.... uh oh....

Old 05-11-2009, 04:02 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
I wish Wisconsin would pass such a law. I see way to many kids my age doing the same thing. Drives me nuts.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:18 PM

76 posts, read 210,967 times
I'd love to see this law passed!

I realize people need freedom, and I'm all for the government not telling us what to do all the time, but I really find this saggy pants look very offensive and annoying.

As far as I'm concerned, it's only ok to do whatever you want when it's not being forced on someone else's eyeballs.

Why in the world would anyone think that this is attractive or that people will take them seriously that way?

Ugh.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:27 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Oh thank goodness! I guess this means women showing their thongs falls under the same law?

Truthfully I think letting your underwear show looks kind of silly, but trying to pass a law against it is ridiculous. When it passes over into obscenity with bits of crotch showing, maybe I could see it being illegal, but just underwear showing, really? What next, do we ticket women when their bra straps slip and show?

And though I am not overly fond of looking at cracks either, plumbers have been sporting the look for years. Why outlaw it now?

Old 05-11-2009, 06:21 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Umm...I agree, I can't stand seeing those saggy, baggy, "loaded diaper" (as my kids call it) look, however, can't they just include the extreme cases as "indecent exposure" and not make it a law? I don't think laws should infringe on a persons choice of clothing, as long as it doesn't expose a persons private parts.
Oh, and if this does pass, what are they going to do about all those over weight plumbers that are always showing their butt crack?
I say just tell these kids what showing thier underwear and wearing thier pants that way really means and where it originated......bet they will pull them up really quick!

Old 05-11-2009, 06:28 PM

76 posts, read 210,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I say just tell these kids what showing thier underwear and wearing thier pants that way really means and where it originated......bet they will pull them up really quick!
LOL! Good point!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:32 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Yep. I grew up around fat rednecks and I've seen more crack than a Newport drug dealer!

*rimshot*

Until our politicians learn that we can't legislate morality, stupid **** like this will continue to bog down our system.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:35 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Kamo - your thread title was not lost on me. Good one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: