Newport: First Christian Church. This is along a detour around the I-40 rockslide
Newport: 214 E Broadway. The rockslide blocking I-40 means that many more people are driving past
Newport: A living specialty of Newport & Cocke County, TN
Newport: Corner of Main street of Newport, TN - TVA property
Newport: Graveyard in Bat's Cove Newport, TN outskirts
Newport: Newport Grammar School
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||44.8 years|
|Tennessee median age:||38.7 years|
Zip codes: 37821.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $19,314 (it was $12,870 in 2000)
Newport city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $98,139 (it was $70,000 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2015: $400.
Races in Newport, TN (2010)
- 6,29590.6%White alone
- 3194.6%Black alone
- 1201.7%Two or more races
- 320.5%American Indian alone
- 150.2%Asian alone
- 40.06%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
- 40.06%Other race alone
|Trash pickup in Newport,Tn area (4 replies)|
|why is the crime rate so high in newport,tn. 2014 (5 replies)|
|Future planning on moving into Tennessee. (4 replies)|
|Popcorn Sutton's famous moonshine coming back to Newport (3 replies)|
|Eastern Tennessee (18 replies)|
|The 10 most dangerous places in Tennessee after dark. (36 replies)|
Latest news from Newport, TN collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Newport, TN City Guides:
Ancestries: American (44.5%), Irish (8.9%), German (3.6%), French (2.8%), Scotch-Irish (1.8%), English (1.8%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1799
Elevation: 1055 feet
Land area: 5.41 square miles.
Population density: 1,271 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Newport:
- High school or higher: 78.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 14.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 15.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Newport city:
- Never married: 19.4%
- Now married: 44.9%
- Separated: 4.9%
- Widowed: 11.0%
- Divorced: 19.8%
39 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Tennessee and other state lists there were 74 registered sex offenders living in Newport, Tennessee as of December 17, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Newport to the number of sex offenders is 93 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $1,154 (1.1%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $883 (1.0%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Knoxville, TN (41.7 miles , pop. 173,890).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Charlotte, NC (143.1 miles , pop. 540,828).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (472.6 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Parrottsville, TN (2.6 miles ), Baneberry, TN (2.7 miles ), Centerview, TN (2.8 miles ), Chestnut Hill, TN (3.1 miles ), Hartford, TN (3.3 miles ), White Pine, TN (3.4 miles ), Del Rio, TN (3.4 miles ), Fairgarden, TN (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 14 buildings, average cost: $33,800
- 1998: 14 buildings, average cost: $33,800
- 1999: 15 buildings, average cost: $33,800
- 2000: 6 buildings, average cost: $64,200
- 2003: 4 buildings, average cost: $67,500
- 2004: 4 buildings, average cost: $67,500
- 2005: 4 buildings, average cost: $67,500
- 2006: 4 buildings, average cost: $67,500
- 2007: 3 buildings, average cost: $67,500
- 2008: 3 buildings, average cost: $76,000
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $76,000
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $76,000
- 2011: 4 buildings, average cost: $79,100
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $60,000
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $60,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 35.96 N, Longitude: 83.20 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +4,147 (+59.4%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,329 (55.7%)
Area code: 423
|Crime rates in Newport by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 286.7)||514.0||501.1||478.5||556.2||593.5||796.7||698.4||813.8||749.3||735.8||745.9||668.0||635.4||696.4||677.9|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Newport detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||3.79|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -149 (-2.0%).
- Manufacturing (21%)
- Health care and social assistance (16%)
- Other services, except public administration (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Transportation and warehousing (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (25%)
- Health care and social assistance (22%)
- Retail trade (21%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Other services, except public administration (4%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (2%)
- Material moving occupations (12%)
- Health technologists and technicians (11%)
- Production occupations (11%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (9%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (8%)
- Transportation occupations (5%)
- Fire fighting and prevention, and other protective service workers including supervisors (5%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (20%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (16%)
- Sales and related occupations (11%)
- Personal care and service occupations (10%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (7%)
- Healthcare support occupations (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
Average climate in Newport, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Newport-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Tennessee state average. It is 58% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/18/1976, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 1.6 miles away from the Newport city center injured 10 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 3/11/1963, a category F2 tornado 5.0 miles away from the city center killed one person and injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Newport-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Tennessee state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 44.4 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 160.4 miles away from Newport center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 150.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 170.9 miles away from the city center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 155.4 miles away from Newport center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 310.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Cocke County (15) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 9, Heavy Rains: 3, Tornadoes: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Flash Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Edward B. Lawson - Diplomat, Marshall R. Teague - Film actor, Pop-Boy Smith - Baseball player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Newport:
- SMOKY MOUNTAIN HOSPICE INC (222 HERITAGE BLVD PO BOX 754)
- TENNOVA HEALTHCARE-NEWPORT MEDICAL CENTER (Voluntary non-profit - Church, provides emergency services, 435 2ND ST)
- BAPTIST CONVALESCENT CENTER (450 COLLEGE ST)
- NEWPORT HEALTH AND REHABILITATION CENTER (135 MARINER DRIVE)
- FMC DIALYSIS NEWPORT (119 HEDRICK STREET)
- SMOKY MOUNTAIN HOME HEALTH AND HOSPICE, INC (222 HERITAGE BLVD P O BOX 754)
- VIP HOME NURSING REHAB SERVICE INC (1103 COSBY HWY BOX 931)
Heliports located in Newport:See details about Heliports located in Newport, TN
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Newport:
- Walters State Community College (about 18 miles; Morristown, TN; Full-time enrollment: 4,359)
- Tusculum College (about 29 miles; Greeneville, TN; FT enrollment: 2,070)
- The University of Tennessee-Knoxville (about 42 miles; Knoxville, TN; FT enrollment: 25,483)
- University of North Carolina at Asheville (about 43 miles; Asheville, NC; FT enrollment: 3,312)
- Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College (about 46 miles; Asheville, NC; FT enrollment: 6,992)
- Western Carolina University (about 48 miles; Cullowhee, NC; FT enrollment: 8,684)
- Lincoln Memorial University (about 50 miles; Harrogate, TN; FT enrollment: 3,706)
Public high schools in Newport:
- COCKE CO HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,265, Location: 216 HEDRICK DR, Grades: 9-12)
- COCKE CO ADULT HIGH SCHOOL (Location: 241 HEDRICK DR, Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Newport:
- NEWPORT GRAMMAR SCHOOL (Students: 745, Location: 301 COLLEGE ST, Grades: PK-8)
- EDGEMONT ELEMENTARY (Students: 667, Location: 375 CARSON SPRINGS RD, Grades: PK-8)
- NORTHWEST ELEMENTARY (Students: 331, Location: 344 WOODSON RD, Grades: KG-8)
- CENTERVIEW ELEMENTARY (Students: 317, Location: 2400 HWY 160, Grades: PK-8)
- BRIDGEPORT ELEMENTARY (Students: 288, Location: 1935 EDWINA BRIDGEPORT RD, Grades: KG-8)
Notable locations in Newport: Newport Junction (A), Allied EMS of Cocke County (B), Newport Fire Department Station 2 (C), Newport Fire Department Station 1 (D), Cocke County Courthouse (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Newport include: Lincoln Avenue Baptist Church (A), Newport First Baptist Church (B), Northport Baptist Church (C), West End Baptist Church (D), Southside Baptist Church (E), Rice Church (F), West End Church (G), Gregg Chapel (H), Center View Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Union Cemetery (1), Morris Cemetery (2), Hearst Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Morell Springs Branch (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attractions: Southway Amusement CO (113 Hedrick Drive), Newport Games (624 North Street).
Hotels: Comfort Inn Newport (1149 Smokey Mountain Lane), Best Western Newport Inn (1015 Cosby Highway), Comfort Inn (1149 Smokey Mountain Ln), Bryant Town Motel (766 Cosby Highway), Family Inns of America (1025 Cosby Highway), Four Seasons Cottages (2488 Highway 32).
Courts: Cocke County - Civil & Criminal Court Jurors Info (111 Court Avenue), Cocke County - Juvenile Court (111 Court Avenue), Cocke County - Circuit Court Clerk Office (Courthouse).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 73.8. This is about average.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2006 was 4.41. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 18.7 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2006 was 4.50. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 18.7 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 33.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 24.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2000 was 30.4. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 19.1 miles away from the city center.
(39.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 9.1% for Black residents, 74.7% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 42.6% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
People in group quarters in Newport in 2010:
- 71 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 53 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 40 people in other noninstitutional facilities
- 16 people in emergency and transitional shelters (with sleeping facilities) for people experiencing homelessness
- 8 people in group homes intended for adults
People in group quarters in Newport in 2000:
- 139 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 72 people in nursing homes
- 9 people in homes for the mentally ill
- 8 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
Banks with branches in Newport (2011 data):
- National Bank of Tennessee: National Bank Of Tennessee, Bryant Town Branch, West Broadway Branch. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $168.6 mil, Deposits: $150.8 mil, local headquarters, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Nbn Corporation
- Newport Federal Bank: at 170 West Broadway, 345 Cosby Highway Branch, 263 E. Broadway Branch. Info updated 2011/07/21: Bank assets: $188.3 mil, Deposits: $170.0 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 3 total offices
- Capital Bank, National Association: Newport Branch at 602 Cosby Highway, branch established on 1998/12/14. Info updated 2011/09/21: Bank assets: $6,448.0 mil, Deposits: $5,135.4 mil, headquarters in Miami, FL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 152 total offices, Holding Company: North American Financial Holdings, Inc.
- Tennessee State Bank: Newport Branch at 107 Epley Drive, branch established on 2008/07/14. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $720.6 mil, Deposits: $626.7 mil, headquarters in Pigeon Forge, TN, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 16 total offices, Holding Company: Tennessee State Bancshares, Inc.
- U.S. Bank National Association: Newport Branch at 301 East Main Street, branch established on 1889/01/01. Info updated 2012/01/30: Bank assets: $330,470.8 mil, Deposits: $236,091.5 mil, headquarters in Cincinnati, OH, positive income, 3121 total offices, Holding Company: U.S. Bancorp
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Newport city (based on Cocke County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Cocke County:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|Cocke County:||1.70 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Cocke County:||7.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Newport, TN Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||6||$18,996||$37,992||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||1||$666|
|Police Protection - Officers||29||$80,621||$33,360||0||$0|
|Police - Other||5||$9,345||$22,428||0||$0|
|Fire - Other||1||$2,418||$29,016||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||25||$59,499||$28,560||3||$4,491|
|Parks and Recreation||12||$28,824||$28,824||7||$2,657|
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction||87||$274,998||$37,931||30||$19,976|
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total||27||$46,528||$20,679||18||$12,785|
|Other and Unallocable||3||$7,078||$28,312||7||$5,894|
|Totals for Government||227||$606,404||$32,057||66||$46,469|
Newport government finances - Expenditure in 2006 (per resident):
- Construction - Housing and Community Development: $465,000 ($67.59)
- Current Operations - Elementary and Secondary Education: $5,208,000 ($756.98)
Police Protection: $1,610,000 ($234.01)
Local Fire Protection: $1,404,000 ($204.07)
Central Staff Services: $643,000 ($93.46)
Financial Administration: $54,000 ($7.85)
Libraries: $43,000 ($6.25)
Housing and Community Development: $35,000 ($5.09)
Judicial and Legal Services: $8,000 ($1.16)
- General - Interest on Debt: $213,000 ($30.96)
- Intergovernmental to Local NEC - Elementary and Secondary Education: $153,000 ($22.24)
- Other Capital Outlay - Elementary and Secondary Education: $180,000 ($26.16)
Police Protection: $60,000 ($8.72)
Local Fire Protection: $31,000 ($4.51)
- Total Salaries and Wages: $5,063,000 ($735.90)
Newport government finances - Revenue in 2006 (per resident):
- Charges - Elementary and Secondary Education - Other: $274,000 ($39.83)
Elementary and Secondary Education School Lunch: $133,000 ($19.33)
Elementary and Secondary Education School Tuition and Transportation: $75,000 ($10.90)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Local Government Support: $3,523,000 ($512.06)
Education: $980,000 ($142.44)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $245,000 ($35.61)
- State Intergovernmental - Education: $3,412,000 ($495.93)
General Local Government Support: $1,266,000 ($184.01)
Highways: $37,000 ($5.38)
- Tax - Property: $2,335,000 ($339.39)
Alcoholic Beverage Sales: $429,000 ($62.35)
Other Selective Sales: $336,000 ($48.84)
Public Utilities Sales: $80,000 ($11.63)
Other License: $28,000 ($4.07)
Alcoholic Beverage License: $4,000 ($0.58)
Newport government finances - Debt in 2006 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt - Outstanding Unspecified Public Purpose: $6,354,000 ($923.55)
Beginning Outstanding - Unspecified Public Purpose: $5,930,000 ($861.92)
Issue, Unspecified Public Purpose: $824,000 ($119.77)
Retired Unspecified Public Purpose: $400,000 ($58.14)
Newport government finances - Cash and Securities in 2006 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash and Securities: $4,083,000 ($593.46)
5.02% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,450 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Sevier County, TN||0.71% ($22,788 average AGI)|
|from Jefferson County, TN||0.56% ($26,179)|
|from Hamblen County, TN||0.48% ($23,509)|
5.33% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($23,623 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Newport:
- WLIK (1270 AM; 5 kW; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: WLIK, INC)
- WNPC (1060 AM; daytime; 1 kW; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: HARRIS BROADCASTING INCORPORATED)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WFGW (1010 AM; 50 kW; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WSEV (930 AM; 5 kW; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE RADIO GROUP, L.P.)
- WMTN (1300 AM; 5 kW; MORRISTOWN, TN)
- WCRK (1150 AM; 5 kW; MORRISTOWN, TN; Owner: RADIO ACQUISITION CORP.)
- WKJV (1380 AM; 25 kW; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: INTERNATIONAL BAPTIST OUTREACH MISSIONS)
- WLFJ (660 AM; daytime; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, SC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WVLZ (1180 AM; daytime; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: KIRKLAND WIRELESS BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WCSZ (1070 AM; 50 kW; SANS SOUCI, SC; Owner: WHYZ RADIO, L.P.)
- WNOX (990 AM; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN)
- WRJZ (620 AM; 5 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: TENNESSEE MEDIA ASSOCIATES, INC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Newport:
- WNPC-FM (92.9 FM; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: HARRIS BROADCASTING INC DBA WNPC INC)
- WIVK-FM (107.7 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWST (102.1 FM; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- W237AR (95.3 FM; HAZELWOOD, ETC., NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WIMZ-FM (103.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMM., CORP.)
- WKSF (99.9 FM; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WQNS (104.9 FM; WAYNESVILLE, NC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMIT (106.9 FM; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WMXK (94.1 FM; MORRISTOWN, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WNCW (88.7 FM; SPINDALE, NC; Owner: ISOTHERMAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- WBGQ (100.7 FM; BULLS GAP, TN; Owner: CHEROKEE BROADCASTING)
- WJDT (106.5 FM; ROGERSVILLE, TN; Owner: C & S BROADCASTING)
- WOKI-FM (100.3 FM; OAK RIDGE, TN; Owner: OAK RIDGE FM, INC.)
- WSEV-FM (105.5 FM; GATLINBURG, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE RADIO GROUP, L.P.)
- W220CD (91.9 FM; ENKA, NC; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- WAEZ (94.9 FM; GREENEVILLE, TN; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WTFM (98.5 FM; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WUOT (91.9 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE)
- WFQS (91.3 FM; FRANKLIN, NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WEZG (99.3 FM; JEFFERSON CITY, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE RADIO GROUP, L.P.)
TV broadcast stations around Newport:
- WASV-TV (Channel 62; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL BROADCASTING OF SOUTH CAROLINA HOLDINGS, INC.)
- W50AB (Channel 50; HIAWASSEE, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WKOP-TV (Channel 15; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WVLT-TV (Channel 8; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WVLT LICENSEE CORP.)
- WBIR-TV (Channel 10; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: GANNETT PACIFIC CORPORATION)
- WATE-TV (Channel 6; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WATE, G.P.)
- WTNZ (Channel 43; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- WEEE-LP (Channel 32; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEZK-LP (Channel 28; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WJZC-LP (Channel 22; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- W51CK (Channel 51; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 27Number of bridges
- 176m577ftTotal length
- $18,283,000Total costs
- 305,200Total average daily traffic
- 39,170Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Newport)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:180 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers:2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Newport, TN)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:20 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers:2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:20 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:149 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Newport)
FAA Registered Aircraft:4
- Aircraft: CHESTEEN ROBERT B RV-7 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: LYCOMING IO-360-A1A (200 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 159SB , Serial Number: 72823, Year manufactured: 2010, Airworthiness Date: 07/22/2013
Registrant (Co-Owned): Alvin E Swann, 1230 Petunia Rd, Newport, TN 37821, Other Owners: Johnnie Ruth Swann
- Aircraft: PIPER PA-22-108 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 94 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-235 SERIES (115 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 4653Z , Serial Number: 22-8175, Year manufactured: 1961, Airworthiness Date: 02/22/1961
Registrant (Individual): James D Crowder, 754 Thinwood Dr, Newport, TN 37821
- Aircraft: MOONEY M20J (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 126 mph), Engine: LYCOMING I0360 SER (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 6684U , Serial Number: 24-0036, Year manufactured: 1976, Airworthiness Date: 10/28/1976
Registrant (Individual): Kenneth G Fowler, 506 Mountain Lake Rd, Newport, TN 37821
- Aircraft: SCHWEIZER(HUGHES)AIRCRAFT CORP TH55A/269A (Category: Land, Seats: 3, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: LYCOMING HIO-360 SER (205 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 797DC , Serial Number: 67-16801, Year manufactured: 1967, Airworthiness Date: 12/28/2000
Registrant (Individual): James D Crowder, 754 Thinwood Dr, Newport, TN 37821
Drinking water stations with addresses in Newport and their reported violations in the past:GRASSY FORK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Population served: 145, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- One routine major monitoring violation
Drinking water stations with addresses in Newport that have no violations reported:
- NEWPORT UTILITIES BOARD (Population served: 27,630, Primary Water Source Type: Surface water)
- INDIAN CAMP CREEK CAMPGROUND (Population served: 110, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- WATERVILLE WALTERS HYDRO PLANT (Serves NC, Population served: 25, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 202
- Hazardous Condition: 104
- Good Intent Call: 16
Incident types - Newport
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Newport, Tennessee:
- Quality Inn Newport, TN, 1010 Cosby Hwy, Newport, Tennessee 37821 , Phone: (423) 532-8300, Fax: (423) 532-8305
- Comfort Inn, 1149 Smokey Mtn Ln, Newport, Tennessee 37821 , Phone: (423) 623-5355, Fax: (423) 623-1333
- Days Inn, 1014 Cosby Hwy, Newport, Tennessee 37821 , Phone: (423) 237-6094, Fax: (423) 237-6334
- Motel 6, 255 Heritage Blvd, Newport, Tennessee 37821 , Phone: (423) 623-1850, Fax: (423) 623-1860
- Holiday Inn Express, 1022 Cosby Hwy, Newport, Tennessee 37821 , Phone: (423) 623-2121, Fax: (423) 623-2162
|Most common first names in Newport, TN among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Newport, TN among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (69%)
- Utility gas (26%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (2%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- Wood (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
|Businesses in Newport, TN|
|AT&T||1||Little Caesars Pizza||1|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||Long John Silver's||1|
|Best Western||1||Motel 6||1|
|CVS||1||Papa John's Pizza||1|
|Comfort Inn||1||Red Roof Inn||1|
|Cracker Barrel||1||Ruby Tuesday||1|
Newport compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Newport on our top lists:
- #11 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Food preparation and serving related occupations (population 5,000+)"
- #14 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Fire fighting and prevention workers including supervisors (population 5,000+)"
- #14 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in industries: Accommodation and food services (population 5,000+)"
- #18 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Health technologists and technicians (population 5,000+)"
- #24 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of thefts per 100,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data (population 5,000+)"
- #26 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most people below the poverty level, excluding cities with 15% or more of residents in college and with the median age below 28 (population 5,000+)"
- #29 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of divorced people (15+ years)(population 5,000+)"
- #98 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of police officers per 1000 residents (population 5,000+)"
Total of 15 patent applications in 2008-2017.