Del Rio, Tennessee
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||41.0 years|
|Tennessee median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 37727
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $15,089 (it was $10,783 in 2000)
Del Rio CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $70,634 (it was $42,400 in 2000)
Races in Del Rio, TN (2000)
- 1,64998.0%White alone
- 181.1%Two or more races
- 30.2%American Indian alone
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1141 feet
Land area: 106.8 square miles.
Population density: 17 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Del Rio:
- High school or higher: 52.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 6.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.2%
- Unemployed: 6.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 40.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Del Rio CCD:
- Never married: 21.6%
- Now married: 62.5%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 6.0%
- Divorced: 9.9%
According to our research of Tennessee and other state lists there were 11 registered sex offenders living in Del Rio, Tennessee as of April 29, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Del Rio to the number of sex offenders is 161 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Del Rio CCD:||0.7% ($309)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Asheville, NC (33.0 miles , pop. 68,889).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Charlotte, NC (131.3 miles , pop. 540,828).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (482.6 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Parrottsville, TN (3.1 miles ), Hot Springs, NC (3.2 miles ), Hartford, TN (3.3 miles ), Southwest Nolichucky, TN (3.4 miles ), Newport, TN (3.4 miles ), Centerview, TN (4.0 miles ), Baneberry, TN (4.3 miles ), Cove Creek, NC (4.4 miles ).
Latitude: 35.88 N, Longitude: 83.01 W
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (15%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (11%)
- Metal and metal products (11%)
- Food (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Plastics and rubber products (6%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (5%)
- Educational services (20%)
- Accommodation and food services (19%)
- Health care (14%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (13%)
- Food (10%)
- Paper (4%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (16%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (10%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (9%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Painters and paperhangers (5%)
- Religious workers (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Waiters and waitresses (11%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (10%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (10%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (8%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (8%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
Average climate in Del Rio, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Del Rio-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Tennessee state average. It is 57% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/11/1963, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 10.2 miles away from the Del Rio place center killed one person and injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 2/18/1976, a category F2 tornado 12.6 miles away from the place center injured 10 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Del Rio-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Tennessee state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 53.7 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 168.7 miles away from Del Rio center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 142.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 176.4 miles away from the city center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 163.6 miles away from Del Rio center
On 11/23/2006 at 10:42:57, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG) earthquake occurred 105.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Cocke County (15) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 9, Heavy Rains: 3, Tornadoes: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Flash Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Burnett Guffey - Cinematographer.
Hospitals and medical centers near Del Rio:
- TENNOVA HEALTHCARE-NEWPORT MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 12 miles away; NEWPORT, TN)
- BAPTIST CONVALESCENT CENTER (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; NEWPORT, TN)
- SMOKY MOUNTAIN HOME HEALTH AND HOSPICE, INC (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; NEWPORT, TN)
- SMOKY MOUNTAIN HOSPICE INC (Hospital, about 12 miles away; NEWPORT, TN)
- VIP HOME NURSING REHAB SERVICE INC (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; NEWPORT, TN)
- FMC DIALYSIS NEWPORT (Dialysis Facility, about 12 miles away; NEWPORT, TN)
- NEWPORT HEALTH AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; NEWPORT, TN)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Del Rio:
- Tusculum College (about 25 miles; Greeneville, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,070)
- Walters State Community College (about 27 miles; Morristown, TN; FT enrollment: 4,359)
- University of North Carolina at Asheville (about 32 miles; Asheville, NC; FT enrollment: 3,312)
- Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College (about 34 miles; Asheville, NC; FT enrollment: 6,992)
- Western Carolina University (about 43 miles; Cullowhee, NC; FT enrollment: 8,684)
- East Tennessee State University (about 47 miles; Johnson City, TN; FT enrollment: 12,774)
- The University of Tennessee-Knoxville (about 52 miles; Knoxville, TN; FT enrollment: 25,483)
Private high school in Del Rio:
Public elementary/middle school in Del Rio:
- DEL RIO ELEMENTARY (Students: 154, Location: 500 SOUTH HIGHWAY 107, Grades: KG-8)
Notable locations in Del Rio: Round Mountain Campground (A), Round Mountain Lookout (B), Walnut Mountain Appalachian Trail Shelter (C), Bubbling Spring Shooting Range (D), Meadow Creek Lookout (E), French Broad Boating Site (F), Houston Valley Campground (G), Laws (H), French Broad (I), Junction (J), Del Rio Volunteer Fire Department (K). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Del Rio include: Jones Chapel (A), Deep Gap Church (B), Piney Grove Church (C), Timber Ridge Church (D), Houston Valley Church (E), Del Rio Baptist Church (F), Frog Pond Church (G), Maple Grove Church (H), Mount Zion Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Varner Cemetery (1), Jones Cemetery (2), Justis Cemetery (3), Ball Cemetery (4), Mooneyham Cemetery (5), Cutshall Cemetery (6), Justis Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Allen Branch Fish Pond (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Little Clifty Branch (A), Bearpen Branch (B), Laurel Creek (C), Shelton Branch (D), Summerhouse Branch (E), Toby Branch (F), Tom Creek (G), Trail Fork (H), Alexander Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Del Rio include: Houston Valley Recreation Area (1), French Broad Recreation Site (2), Rattlesnake Branch Recreation Area (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 58.9. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 40.6. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 20.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2000 was 30.4. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 20.7 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Del Rio CCD (based on Cocke County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Cocke County:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|Cocke County:||1.70 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Cocke County:||7.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
5.02% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,450 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Sevier County, TN||0.71% ($22,788 average AGI)|
|from Jefferson County, TN||0.56% ($26,179)|
|from Hamblen County, TN||0.48% ($23,509)|
5.33% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($23,623 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Del Rio:
- WFGW (1010 AM; 50 kW; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WLIK (1270 AM; 5 kW; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: WLIK, INC)
- WKJV (1380 AM; 25 kW; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: INTERNATIONAL BAPTIST OUTREACH MISSIONS)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WLFJ (660 AM; daytime; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, SC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHBK (1460 AM; 5 kW; MARSHALL, NC; Owner: SOUTHERN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WWNC (570 AM; 5 kW; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCSZ (1070 AM; 50 kW; SANS SOUCI, SC; Owner: WHYZ RADIO, L.P.)
- WOXL (970 AM; 5 kW; CANTON, NC; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NORTH CAROLINA, LLC)
- WNPC (1060 AM; daytime; 1 kW; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: HARRIS BROADCASTING INCORPORATED)
- WGCR (720 AM; daytime; 10 kW; PISGAH FOREST, NC; Owner: ANCHOR BAPTIST BROADCASTING ASSOCIATION)
- WSEV (930 AM; 5 kW; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE RADIO GROUP, L.P.)
- WCRK (1150 AM; 5 kW; MORRISTOWN, TN; Owner: RADIO ACQUISITION CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Del Rio:
- W237AR (95.3 FM; HAZELWOOD, ETC., NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WQNS (104.9 FM; WAYNESVILLE, NC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WNPC-FM (92.9 FM; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: HARRIS BROADCASTING INC DBA WNPC INC)
- WKSF (99.9 FM; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMIT (106.9 FM; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNCW (88.7 FM; SPINDALE, NC; Owner: ISOTHERMAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- WAEZ (94.9 FM; GREENEVILLE, TN; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- W220CD (91.9 FM; ENKA, NC; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- WIVK-FM (107.7 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWST (102.1 FM; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WCQS (88.1 FM; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WTFM (98.5 FM; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WIMZ-FM (103.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMM., CORP.)
- WJDT (106.5 FM; ROGERSVILLE, TN; Owner: C & S BROADCASTING)
- WBGQ (100.7 FM; BULLS GAP, TN; Owner: CHEROKEE BROADCASTING)
- WFQS (91.3 FM; FRANKLIN, NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WLFA (91.3 FM; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: ASHEVILLE EDUCATIONAL ASSOCIATION, INC.)
- WSEV-FM (105.5 FM; GATLINBURG, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE RADIO GROUP, L.P.)
- WWCU (90.5 FM; CULLOWHEE, NC; Owner: WESTERN CAROLINA UNIVERSITY)
- WOKI-FM (100.3 FM; OAK RIDGE, TN; Owner: OAK RIDGE FM, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Del Rio:
- WASV-TV (Channel 62; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL BROADCASTING OF SOUTH CAROLINA HOLDINGS, INC.)
- W50AB (Channel 50; HIAWASSEE, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- W51CK (Channel 51; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WHNS (Channel 21; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: MEREDITH CORPORATION)
- W03AL (Channel 3; DEL RIO, TN; Owner: DENNIS B. FREEMAN)
- WKOP-TV (Channel 15; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WVLT-TV (Channel 8; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WVLT LICENSEE CORP.)
- WBIR-TV (Channel 10; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: GANNETT PACIFIC CORPORATION)
- WATE-TV (Channel 6; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WATE, G.P.)
- W23BQ (Channel 23; ASHEVILLE, ETC., NC; Owner: CAROLINA CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING, INC.)
Del Rio fatal accident list:
Oct 4, 1975 07:50 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:3
- Mobile L3, Lat: 35.915278 Lon: -82.974444, Call Sign: WQPG414, Licensee ID: L00008014
Assigned Frequencies: 161.055 MHzGrant Date: 05/09/2012, Expiration Date: 05/09/2022, Certifier: Jerry R CelioRegistrant: Norfolk Southern Railway Company, 1200 Peachtree St, Ne Box 123, Atlanta, GA 30309, Phone: (404) 582-6224, Fax: (404) 582-6209, Email:
- Lat: 35.854806 Lon: -82.977333, Call Sign: WQQL861, Licensee ID: L01731644
Assigned Frequencies: 151.730 MHz, 159.960 MHz, 159.540 MHz, 151.985 MHz, 159.885 MHzGrant Date: 01/23/2013, Expiration Date: 01/23/2023, Certifier: Bill L FinchumRegistrant: Brushy Mountain Bear Club Inc, 1059 Bluemill Rd, Del Rio, TN 37727, Phone: (423) 487-5765, Fax: (423) 487-5425, Email:
- Lat: 35.877556 Lon: -83.008333, Call Sign: WQWF699
Assigned Frequencies: 159.660 MHz, 159.690 MHz, 159.720 MHz, 160.125 MHz, 160.170 MHzGrant Date: 08/10/2015, Expiration Date: 08/10/2025, Certifier: Bill L FinchumRegistrant: Bill Finchum, 1065 Blue Mill Rd., Del Rio, TN 37727, Phone: (423) 487-0202, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- Meadow Crk, 9.5 Mi Nw Of (Lat: 35.971583 Lon: -82.964778), Type: Ltower, Structure height: 38.1 m, Call Sign: WCF323
Assigned Frequencies: 6696.25 MHz, 6675.00 MHz, 6034.15 MHz, 6093.45 MHz, 6063.80 MHz, 5945.20 MHz, 6004.50 MHzGrant Date: 06/10/2008, Expiration Date: 07/14/2018Registrant: Norfolk Southern Railway Company, 1200 Peachtree St. Ne - Box 110, Atlanta, GA 30309, Phone: (404) 582-6244, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:17 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Del Rio)
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: MOONEY M20C (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 127 mph), Engine: LYCOMING O&VO-360 SER (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 6884N , Serial Number: 680157, Year manufactured: 1968, Airworthiness Date: 06/03/1968
Registrant (Individual): Kent A Lutes, 328 River Vista Way, Del Rio, TN 37727
Drinking water stations with addresses in Del Rio and their reported violations in the past:TENT CAMPLING USA, INC. (Population served: 500, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Treatment Technique No Certif. Operator - In SEP-01-2011, Contaminant: DBP Stage 1. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (NOV-15-2011), St Compliance achieved (DEC-01-2011)
- 2 regular monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 25
- Hazardous Condition: 7
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Del Rio
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (48%)
- Wood (19%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (18%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (15%)
Del Rio compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Del Rio on our top lists:
- #85 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most cars per house, population 500+"