Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:17 AM

334 posts, read 1,282,163 times

Advertisements

I normally try to not post negative things BUT there are some places newcomers or travelers should know about around the Middle Tennessee area to be mindful of "overzealous" police patrol. Mind you I am not talking about a patrolling police officer that sees someone speeding, or someone that NEEDS to be removed from our streets for their driving....instead I am talking about police officers "lying in wait" or "hiding" in out of the way places DAILY for prey.

At work, I've talked to five people that have been ticketed for the same stop sign on the LEFT side of the road at an interstate ramp at Bethel Road off of I-65 North. One person in my office lives on Bethel Rd and says she see the police sitting under the (southbound) interstate bridge daily around 5pm just waiting. I guess it's not enough that this same town's police officers sit on I-65 between White House and Goodlettsville and collect their revenues there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 11:20 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,207,730 times
Smyrna used to be famous for that. They didn't really make any qualms about being one.

The major one I hear about these days is Coopertown between Nashville and Clarksville.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:36 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
Over here in the eastern part, Jonesborough on the 11E. The police sit at the funeral home and early in the morning at the Appco gas station. And the speed limit drops from 65 to 45 in a fairly quick area.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:38 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,568 times
On the western end of the state, Oakland in Fayette County is fast becoming a notorious speed trap. Driving Highway 64 between Memphis and Jackson was, at one time, a pleasurable experience.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:44 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
SpeedTrap Exchange

Old 07-16-2008, 04:02 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,516,502 times
Highway 49 in Coopertown between Pleasant View and Springfield. There's a cop as soon as you get off the exit, sometimes more than 1, and usually another one a little ways up the road. If you're coming from Springfield, the speed limit drops from 50 to 35 going downhill. If you're not prepared for the sudden speed change, you have to do some major heavy braking to get down to 35 real fast or they will nab you. That area is a major speed trap and they will get you for just a couple miles over the limit.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:41 PM

334 posts, read 1,282,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNNative View Post
I normally try to not post negative things BUT there are some places newcomers or travelers should know about around the Middle Tennessee area to be mindful of "overzealous" police patrol. Mind you I am not talking about a patrolling police officer that sees someone speeding, or someone that NEEDS to be removed from our streets for their driving....instead I am talking about police officers "lying in wait" or "hiding" in out of the way places DAILY for prey.

At work, I've talked to five people that have been ticketed for the same stop sign on the LEFT side of the road at an interstate ramp at Bethel Road off of I-65 North. One person in my office lives on Bethel Rd and says she see the police sitting under the (southbound) interstate bridge daily around 5pm just waiting. I guess it's not enough that this same town's police officers sit on I-65 between White House and Goodlettsville and collect their revenues there too.

I have seen the Coopertown police when going Hwy 49 to get to I-24. When I am through Ridgetop late at night, you can see RPD sitting on the southbound side with their lights off on the side of Hwy 41 (just north of the redlight) in Ridgetop. If you know where to look you can sometimes catch a reflection of moonlight on their car so they are not as invisible as they think they are. Most people drive 50-55 up the ridge and you see brake lights come on at the very top where it drops to 40 immediately. But I see Millersville (the police I mentioned in the OP) with someone pulled over quite often on the interstate with their trunks cleaned out and searching cars.
However, in their defense...I'm sure there is a lot of "rifraft" that runs north to south and vice versa with more than bubblegum and coins in their pockets. I just wonder what their search criteria is with as many as they seem to clean out.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:22 PM

107 posts, read 300,663 times
I just wonder what their search criteria is with as many as they seem to clean out.

TNNative, mostly the police look for indicators of illegal activity. The occupants may act really nervous or upset. Sometimes the officer will separate the occupants and ask them all the same general questions (where are you going, what is the driver's name, how do you know each other, etc.) to see if their answers match. It is amazing how many people think that thay can BS their way out of something when all they have to do is not talk at all. Nobody has to talk to the police. If you know you are guilty of something you can always choose to shut up! (remember the 5th amendment and apply it). Everyone has the right to remain silent, most people just lack the ability

The police can ask to search any one or any vehicle that they come in contact with. If the person refuses to give permission to search, the officer has to decide if there is enough reasonable suspicion to detain the vehicle until a narcotics dog can arrive or until a search warrant can be drafted and signed. It is up to the person or vehicle operator to understand their 4th amendment rights and decide if they want to give or refuse permission. The only problem is that most people don't understand what can happen next. Many things can impact the dynamics of the situation.

For instance, if there is an odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle the officer will have an easier time articulating why they felt it was necessary to search the vehicle prior to obtaining a warrant. Many times, people leave illegal items right out in the open (plain view) and that lets the officer proceed w/o a search warrant. Also, if the driver has outstanding warrants or a suspended/revoked license, they could (and probably will) be arrested . Once they are in custody, the officer may tow the vehicle to a secure storage facilty to prevent theft or damage. If the vehicle is going to be towed, an inventory of all the contents must be done. This is not a "search" per se, however it does enable the officer to look through the entire vehicle. Same result if you are hiding something.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 AM

182 posts, read 780,092 times
i just moved to adamsville (western part of tn) on sunday .. after talking about it for the past yr . . going east over the bridge to savannah, the past 2 days , there's a cop hiding on the r.s of the road ..
the speed limit on the top of the bridge is 55 and when you get closer to the 'downside' of the bridge , in savannah, it drops abrupty to 45.. . he just has to sit there and catch all the 'speeders' .
i know from past experience that 'small' towns must do this . to build their local revenue .. but that still doesnt' make it right . .

the traffic on 64 is what attracted me to adamsville and this whole area in general . i took a pic in feb of 64 near waynesboro .. out th front window . .my brother was driving and asked what i was taking a pic of . . i told him. . '' rush hr in waynesboro tn. ' we were the ONLY car on the road .. . believe me ,, you would never see that in wpb and ny where i'm originally from .

for an ex busdriver , i can' tell you how much that impressed me .. truckers might feel the same way . .

ahhhh retirement in a small town . what a wonderful way to go ...)
jeanne

Old 07-17-2008, 11:35 AM

557 posts, read 1,674,559 times
U.S. 64 between Fayetteville and I-65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee