Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:16 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times

Advertisements

I drove from Phoenix to Houston, and back to Phoenix, in 1984, and I took Interstate 10. The one thing I remember about that trip is the stretch of the interstate from El Paso to San Antonio, which was miles and miles of... pretty much nothing with the exception of small towns here and there. I'm planning on driving to Houston again later this summer and I'm wondering if the same long stretch is still as remote as it was in 1984.

Back then I was still in college and driving a beat-up car and I prayed it wouldn't break down in the middle of nowhere, because if your car broke down, you'd be better off leaving it where it is and catching a ride to the nearest town, because there weren't any repair shops anywhere. I remember passing through a couple of towns that had repair shops but it looked like they were closed and/or deserted.

I am driving a new truck now and I'm just curious about this stretch of I-10,and if anyone here has driven on it recently.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 11:33 AM

808 posts, read 3,647,165 times
It's still that remote. Hope you have a good trip!

Old 06-19-2007, 11:40 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
The speed limit is higher now, though...I think it is 80 mph now? It is more than the 70 mph on other interstates in the state.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:46 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,949,577 times
i just drove it in march, and it is really pretty desolate. make sure to not miss a place to top off your gas and hit the bathroom! it did seem that cellphone service was ok, in the past there were areas where there was no service. watch out for deer, and slow down around ft. stockton, it's a real speed trap!

Old 06-19-2007, 01:24 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Yup, still pretty much 500 miles of almost nothing. The area is probably a few times more built up than 20 years ago, but even at 10X almost nothing still seems like nothing. It will be largely as you remember.

The wind farms are kind of neat to look at. Even with the speed limit at 80 mph in some stretches, it's still a speed trap. The empty, flat, straight highway will make you want to do over 80 -- and it seems I always get a speeding ticket through that stretch.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I drove from Phoenix to Houston, and back to Phoenix, in 1984, and I took Interstate 10. The one thing I remember about that trip is the stretch of the interstate from El Paso to San Antonio, which was miles and miles of... pretty much nothing with the exception of small towns here and there. I'm planning on driving to Houston again later this summer and I'm wondering if the same long stretch is still as remote as it was in 1984.

Back then I was still in college and driving a beat-up car and I prayed it wouldn't break down in the middle of nowhere, because if your car broke down, you'd be better off leaving it where it is and catching a ride to the nearest town, because there weren't any repair shops anywhere. I remember passing through a couple of towns that had repair shops but it looked like they were closed and/or deserted.

I am driving a new truck now and I'm just curious about this stretch of I-10,and if anyone here has driven on it recently.

Thanks in advance.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess....I have just driven part of that route twice in the last month, from El Paso to the Harper/Fredericksburg exit (going to Mountain City)....it is now 80MPH most of the way....and I love that drive. You pass mountain ranges (Glass, Davis, et al) all the way to Ft. Stockton...mesas, etc.

The country is so green the entire way now (very, very unusual)..it's just LUSH. I haven't seen it look this good in 20 years. There are also lots of wildflowers.

And yes, it is still remote in parts. But to me, that's part of its charm.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the information folks. I know when I drove on that stretch in September of 1984, I remember seeing a lot of barren land and dry grass on both sides of the road, so maybe Cathy drove through there after a rainy season. I also remember that it was hot during the day, and I wearing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, but when I drove back 2 days later, it was pouring rain and cold! So I know now to be prepared for sudden changes in the weather.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:45 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Thanks for the information folks. I know when I drove on that stretch in September of 1984, I remember seeing a lot of barren land and dry grass on both sides of the road, so maybe Cathy drove through there after a rainy season. I also remember that it was hot during the day, and I wearing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, but when I drove back 2 days later, it was pouring rain and cold! So I know now to be prepared for sudden changes in the weather.
Yes, we have had a lot of rain, so that's why the country looks so good right now. It is very hot (101) now, so be glad you have a new truck with AC. I've lived in this country all of my life, and I have seen both extremes of lush green and burned up dry. Right now, it looks great.

Gas is readily available the entire route, so there is no worry there. I usually gas up in Van Horn and get some lunch there...and that takes me to Ozona, so it's very easy.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:02 PM

LOL.. Thanks Cathy, I'm from Phoenix and 101 degrees in June would be considered "A cooling trend" here..

I'll be looking forward to the trip and going through Good Ole' Texas country!

Old 06-19-2007, 05:07 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,700 times
I made that trip once. I remember seeing people walking alone out there in the middle of nowhere. I always wondered where they were going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas