U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-10-2011, 08:22 AM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 6,584,085 times
Reputation: 1906

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
El Paso/Trans-Pecos region. Catholic, Desert, Hispanic Majority, what's Southern about that region?
I didn't say it was southern through and through, but there could be a hint of southernness here and there.

 
Old 06-10-2011, 08:37 AM
 
13,853 posts, read 19,533,476 times
Reputation: 3874
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I didn't say it was southern through and through, but there could be a hint of southernness here and there.
Naw, I don't think there is even an incy wincy ounce of Southern Culture to be found in El Paso. Any Southern culture in El Paso, probably isn't Southern, and is more indicative of the rest of the Southwest and is mistaken for being "Southern". Or, whatevers Southern in El Paso, was probably imported.
 
Old 06-10-2011, 08:37 AM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 6,584,085 times
Reputation: 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Naw, I don't think there is even an incy wincy ounce of Southern Culture to be found in El Paso. Any Southern culture in El Paso, probably isn't Southern, and is more indicative of the rest of the Southwest and is mistaken for being "Southern". Or, whatevers Southern in El Paso, was probably imported.
Can't say I agree, but oh well.
 
Old 06-10-2011, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 27,049,095 times
Reputation: 7122
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I didn't say it was southern through and through, but there could be a hint of southernness here and there.
You could say that about anywhere in the US.
 
Old 06-10-2011, 09:49 AM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 6,584,085 times
Reputation: 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You could say that about anywhere in the US.
You know what I mean.
 
Old 06-10-2011, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Uptown New Orleans
12,677 posts, read 15,511,970 times
Reputation: 6695
Half and half.
 
Old 06-10-2011, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Glendale, CA
1,262 posts, read 1,727,722 times
Reputation: 1264
Based on living there for 4 years, I'd say the "More Southern" or "More Western" looks something like this:
 
Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
17,028 posts, read 22,438,542 times
Reputation: 7542
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
...still, with southern characteristics. I doubt there's any corner of the state that's completely devoid of any southern culture altogether.
The Rio Grande Valley? Brownsville? Laredo? Del Rio? Nothing Southern about those places other than they are in Southern Texas. That's me though. I will say this about El Paso. It is far more Southwestern than Southeastern or what we identify with as Southern.
 
Old 06-10-2011, 12:29 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 6,584,085 times
Reputation: 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The Rio Grande Valley? Brownsville? Laredo? Del Rio? Nothing Southern about those places other than they are in Southern Texas. That's me though. I will say this about El Paso. It is far more Southwestern than Southeastern or what we identify with as Southern.
No argument from me here. And I always forget about extreme South Texas.
 
Old 06-10-2011, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
17,028 posts, read 22,438,542 times
Reputation: 7542
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
No argument from me here. And I always forget about extreme South Texas.
We all do. Even the Texas governm.......won't go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top