Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 09:26 PM

363 posts, read 1,120,695 times

Advertisements

I've read some horror stories about property taxes in TX. We're planning to retire there in a few years-leaving the once great state of CA. However, CA property taxes are generally held at 1% of the assessed value per year. So, a $200,000 value house would have about a $2000 annual property tax bill.

I understand the TX taxes can be much higher. Does it vary from on community to the next? If there as high as reported we may opt just to rent. I'd appreciate any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2006, 09:47 PM

437 posts, read 2,239,180 times
Hi, I am also from Ca. We have the same problem. Retired and on a fixed income so it is important that we get something under at least $1200.00 a year. I have seen them in East Texas but more and more people are buying them faster than I can get my house sold.

Yes different areas have different taxes. You are just going to keep asking the realtor what is the taxes on the property you are interested in.

Yes some of the taxes are very high. My daughter in law just bought a place that is a 1978 home. She will be paying $3000 a year. This is in Dallas.

You will have to go to a Realtor for the taxes.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:57 PM

679 posts, read 2,834,190 times
One thing to realize though is that there is no state tax. Take what you pay in state tax in California and add it to the amount of property tax you pay on your home in California...and then subtract those amounts from the property tax in Texas. It doesn't look so bad. Sales tax in Texas is the same as in Cali, so it is even there. Then subtract the cost of living in Texas from the cost of living in California and things may look a little better to you. You have to juggle here and there to see that it comes out okay. Bigger house, more land, cheaper living. Best to you both.

TexasD

Old 08-09-2006, 10:43 PM

363 posts, read 1,120,695 times
Thanks to both of you. I didn't realize there was no state tax. That will be a bonus-assuming of course that CA doesn't tax it since the retirement will originate here!

I spent about 1.5 years at Ft. Hood in the 70's and really liked the state. Recently returned for a brief visit and rekindled the admiration for the place and the people.

I would actually prefer the Hill Country, but the wife insists its too much like where we live in interior northern CA. So East TX looks like our first retirement destination in spite of the humid summers. We're looking just north of Beaumont-inland enough to avoid the most damage from hurricanes (I've looked at the hazard maps), yet near enough to the gulf for fresh seafood and beach activities. And the advantage of being within 2 hours to Houston, 3.5 to Dallas and about 4 to New Orleans is desirable.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:56 PM

679 posts, read 2,834,190 times
Not sure exactly how it works, but if they deduct taxes from our retirement check in CA, then when you file your taxes, you will file as a resident of Texas. The State tax will be zero for Texas, thus all of the deduction should be refunded. Maybe a tax person is on board, somewhere??? I don't see how we would have to pay California taxes if we do not live in California. My mom moved in with me, last November. She came from Indiana. When I filed her taxes, I had to file part year resident in Cali and part year in Indiana. There was a formula that you had to calculate to see how much she would pay for the part time residence status of each state. After living here a full year, she would file full year resident in Cali and thus pay california state taxes.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:38 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,685 times
Quote:
I understand the TX taxes can be much higher. Does it vary from on community to the next? If there as high as reported we may opt just to rent. I'd appreciate any info.

Taxes will vary a little from to town,but they generally run around 2.9% of the assessed value.Most places give you about a $ 15,000 homestead exemption,which means that if your home is worth 115,000 you get taxed on 100,000 after you subtract the exemption from the value of the house.

Renting doesn't really save you anything on the same style house over buying, since all owners incorporate the tax,and also the insurance a renter doesn't carry, into the rent.No landlord is going to pay the tax out of his pocket.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:54 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Just about every county has a website for their taxing authority. I would go to that for the actual amount of taxes before asking anyone, even a realtor and my mom is one. Just gives you the EXACT amounts/percentages that each taxing district charges (school district, county, city, public hospital, etc). You can also look up individual properties to see what the taxes are on it every year. Most have the history for the last 4-5 years on there and you can see if they have gone up sharply or stayed the same. There is also an additional exemption on your homestead if you are over 65 years of age. Some cities have adopted a cap on taxes for homesteads for seniors. I know the Dallas County Appraisal District does have links on their website to all of the counties and taxing districts so you might try going thru that, www.dallascad.org

Word of caution, use the taxable market value of a property as a guide. Most are less than the actual "real" market value. BUT, you do NOT want to pay WAY OVER what the county has the market value at. Otherwise they will raise the property value accordingly.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:19 AM

9 posts, read 97,208 times
My wife and I have 20.58 acres just outside San Marcos (S of Wimberely) in a planned ranch community. Last year we paid $36 because of an AG exemption (roaming Longhorn). We haven't built yet, so I know this will go up, but only on the dwellings and the amount of land we fence.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:30 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
If you want to buy some land I would see about the Ag exemption. We have a ranch in the hill country and we have an Ag exemption (some 30 cows and one very happy bull!) and it really lowers it. You can get goats or other types of farm critters and that really helps out on the tax bill.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:19 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Default Some More Tax Discounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Taxes will vary a little from to town,but they generally run around 2.9% of the assessed value.Most places give you about a $ 15,000 homestead exemption,which means that if your home is worth 115,000 you get taxed on 100,000 after you subtract the exemption from the value of the house.
I just wanted to add some more info on property taxes. Some cities also have discounts on property taxes for Over 65. Here in San Antonio, some of the different property tax authorties (school tax being the biggest by far) will freeze your tax once you reach 65. There are also discounts for disabled vets. By the way, Texas just enacted a law that will lower school property taxes in two phases beginning next year. It will go from maximum of $1.50 (per 100 dollars) to $1.33 and then to $1.00 the following year.

Last edited by Yac; 08-19-2006 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: quote fixed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas