Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city in Texas?
Austin 28 21.71%
Dallas 33 25.58%
El Paso 2 1.55%
Fort Worth 4 3.10%
Houston 82 63.57%
San Antonio 7 5.43%
Midland 1 0.78%
Corpus Christi 1 0.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:12 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times

Advertisements

I think Austin in unique in having the capitol view corridors, which limit heights on the entirety or even portion of a parcel.

So Love Field limit heights in Dallas b/c it is so near DT?

Do the DTs of Houston and Dallas have grocery stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I think Austin in unique in having the capitol view corridors, which limit heights on the entirety or even portion of a parcel.

The FAA has building height restrictions for areas in a flight path. Downtown Dallas is in Love Fields flight path, so the chances of Dallas getting a super tall building are limited. Plus, there is not really a demand for one. http://www.dallascityhall.com/meetin...C%20Docket.pdf

Yes. Houston has a Phonecian Specialty Food store in DT. Dallas had an Urban Market food store in DT, but it moved to The Cedars, just south of DT. Albertson's, and Wal-mart neighborhood market are nearby in Uptown Dallas. There is a whole foods accessible from dart rail on park lane, and a new one opening on McKinney AVE in Uptown. Whole Foods Market for McKinney Avenue is part of a bigger Uptown project | Biz Beat Blog
I didn't know Austin had height restrictions.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 03-19-2013 at 12:34 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 12:39 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:

I don't think they are standing by those height restrictions anymore. It would be cool if Austin looked like DC though.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:21 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I don't think they are standing by those height restrictions anymore. It would be cool if Austin looked like DC though.
No, it dictates how tall almost everything in DT Austin can be. And I wouldn't want the short DC look either.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:37 PM

587 posts, read 961,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
That's still taller than this thing (OUR tallest):

I work in downtown now and I have to see this concrete block everyday...
Not a fan of brutalism?

Old 03-19-2013, 05:38 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Looks like an example of brutalist architecture. Not my cup of tea.
It is.

Our City Hall is in the same style (same era, of course) and several people in this city hate it as well, but it doesn't get as much hate since you can't see it from more than 2 miles out.

Brutalism is just about the only style I hate more than anything.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:39 PM

587 posts, read 961,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
Could be smaller. 28 stories, 411 ft.
That one looks very nice. The palm trees all look great too, definately a building to be proud of.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:21 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:

There are two small ones in DT Houston and a sizeable one (Randalls) about 3 blocks from Downtown in Midtown

Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,164 times
Quote:
Well that's because one of those cities you listed isn't a suburb (sorry, broken record, but has to be said ) and Houston by itself is MUCH bigger than Dallas by itself anyway, so it would still probably feel that way.
Sorry, my mistake. I do know that Fort Worth is its own city. I was just typing a little too fast without thinking about each entry.

Anyway, speaking of Fort Worth, it would be nice to see that city develop a skyline that competes with both Dallas and Houston.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,164 times
Quote:
It is.

Our City Hall is in the same style (same era, of course) and several people in this city hate it as well, but it doesn't get as much hate since you can't see it from more than 2 miles out.

Brutalism is just about the only style I hate more than anything.
Just out of curiosity, since I am currently in a humanities class, what time frame of the past century or so was brutalism a popular form of architecture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas