Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,122 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I am from philly and am planning to make a move to either Dallas or Houston. After reading all the different threads in response to Dallas and houston I made a decision to visit both places last week. And I like both places, in Dallas Plano, Fresco, Lewisville these places are good and in Houston I visited sugarland which I think is very beautifull. But I was wondering if schools in houston is better than dallas or it's the other way. Like in many threads peoople were complaining about weather I found not much difference. So please guys if you could give your insight on below mentioned topics:
1. Schools
2. Employment in medical field
3. Cost of living
4. Crime
5. or anything you guys wanna mention.................
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 10:10 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roget View Post
Hi Everyone,
I am from philly and am planning to make a move to either Dallas or Houston. After reading all the different threads in response to Dallas and houston I made a decision to visit both places last week. And I like both places, in Dallas Plano, Fresco, Lewisville these places are good and in Houston I visited sugarland which I think is very beautifull. But I was wondering if schools in houston is better than dallas or it's the other way. Like in many threads peoople were complaining about weather I found not much difference. So please guys if you could give your insight on below mentioned topics:
1. Schools
2. Employment in medical field
3. Cost of living
4. Crime
5. or anything you guys wanna mention.................
Thanks
I was actually going to suggest Dallas because the weather is slightly better, IMHO. But Houston gets no snow, maybe 1-2 days in the year so that is a plus.

But then I saw your criteria, and medical field is definitely in Houston's favor.

All other criteria they are nearly the same.

I am a product of Sugar Land's public school system. I graduated 2 years ago from Clements High School, and let me tell you this much, the schools are great, they go at a good pace and they are very well established. So do not worry about that.

Katy is also a great place to live and has some great schools too and same with Memorial and Cypress. Just pointing that out just in case if you want to check out more selections in great areas.

Houston has the edge in Medical jobs/Medical center/field.

Anyways good luck! Both are great cities and you'll love them.

PS: Just thought you should know beforehand, summers in Houston are hot & humid. But I guess you already know since you said you have already visited both cities.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Give both cities a look. Its all about preference. Only until you visit can you really figure it out.

Of course, where you get a job should be number one.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:56 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
I am afraid you are gonna have to go with your gut feeling on this one. Based on your criteria the only thing one city edges out the other in is the medical field (like OmShahi said).

Apart from that those cities are about the same in every category. I think if you visited both places last week you got a sense of the weather.

Dallas and Houston both have really good schools (crappy ones as well, but that is expected).

Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
I really don't know if Dallas's weather is even slightly better. It gets much colder than Houston in the winter time and actually gets hotter in the summertime. It may be slightly less humid but still has slight humidity. I think that's what most people are talking about when they give Dallas the upper hand on weather, but Dallas's temperatures are actually hotter on the temp scale with hotter air to replace the humidity. It's a trade off. In the end of the day, HOT is HOT.

Both cities have their advantages, but as far as medical goes, Houston probably has the advantage in that. Dallas seems like it may cater to a more sophisticated, white collar crowd and is a cleaner and all-around better looking city, although alot of Houston's innercity neighbohoods and suburbs are very nice and well-maintained. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:29 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post

Both cities have their advantages, but as far as medical goes, Houston probably has the advantage in that. Dallas seems like it may cater to a more sophisticated, white collar crowd and is a cleaner and all-around better looking city, although alot of Houston's innercity neighbohoods and suburbs are very nice and well-maintained. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.
I really dont see how Dallas is more white-collar or blue-collar in the present time. Both Dallas and Houston seem to be populated by people who are all over the income spectrum.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:53 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I've lived in both but prefer Dallas.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:47 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,479,102 times
Houston....hands down.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:23 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I prefer Houston, but I'm also a little biased because I lived there before.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:05 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,747 times
I had a neighbor from Philly who really liked it here in Houston. He was single and probably around 30 years old. The key for him was living in central Houston rather than the burbs (i.e., he enjoyed having a social life).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas