Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:33 AM

103 posts, read 314,422 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks!

I am an African American male who will be an RN soon and I am contemplating on whether staying in Houston or moving to Dallas. Now, I am not moving to Dallas to only find my nursing career, even though Houston would be slightly superior for me finding work quicker because of the TMC and whatnot. But
I am basically looking for a new change of lifestyle, culture and aesthetics. Compared to Houston from my recent visit to Dallas, to me Dallas looked cleaner, well planned and had better drivers lol. Both cities seem to be booming and have similar cost of living and lifestyles. So, should I move to Dallas or stay in Houston? Also for any AA's who have lived in both cities, are the cultures the same or different?(I constantly hear Houston's AA's talk down on Dallas's AA's because they are seen as less sophisticated and country??) Please anyone with valid comments and opinions are welcomed..

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 10:47 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Go wherever you get a job.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
If you can get a job and you want to try out Dallas, I say go for it. Remember you can always go home if you dont like it here. Dallas and Houston are close enough together for that.

Dallas isnt all that different. There are subtle differences, but your life here would probably be very similar to what it is in Houston.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,179 times
Default Houston vs. Dallas

Congratulations on your RN!!

Having lived in both Houston and Dallas (and not from either city). They are both VERY different.

I much prefer Dallas. I found Houston to be dirty, lacks zoning laws, rude people, and crazy traffic. But, offers many options for entertainment and activities. The Houston medic,al center is not something to be taken for granted. With Baylor, Texas Children's, Memorial-Herman, Methodist, MD Anderson etc., you have so many options for employment!! How exciting!!

However, Dallas offers many of the same options for entertainment and activities. I personally find Dallas to have a more sophisticated culture, traffic is not as crazy as the highways and roads are laid out better (not like spaghetti). It is a very clean city with truly helpful and caring citizens.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck!

Old 08-23-2010, 02:15 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Having lived 25 adult years in various parts of Houston then 10 years in Dallas, I'd agree with any who say Dallas and Houston are very/completely different.

If it were Houston at the Dallas location I could have the best of both worlds. I much prefer Houston with its dynamism and culture and no zoning. I prefer Dallas for the elevation and the Cowboys (lived with Bud Adams around for tooooo long).

Neither city is better... ref, they are completely different. Houston is laid out square, one road may take you completely across town, or from downtown to the edge of town. In Dallas, other than highways there are few -if any - roads that go from downtown, directly to the edge of town. For that, I always enjoyed the adventure. In Houston, you could tell me directions from your nearest major intersection to a location. I never had a problem navigating Houston. Dallas is laid out like it's been run thru a slap chop. Between the two I learned you can stand on only one corner at a time and drive down one street at a time (unless it had two names).

The biggest different in the two... zoning and weather. And to be perfectly clear, I far prefer the Houston weather.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portiajean View Post
Congratulations on your RN!!

Having lived in both Houston and Dallas (and not from either city). They are both VERY different.

I much prefer Dallas. I found Houston to be dirty, lacks zoning laws, rude people, and crazy traffic. But, offers many options for entertainment and activities. The Houston medic,al center is not something to be taken for granted. With Baylor, Texas Children's, Memorial-Herman, Methodist, MD Anderson etc., you have so many options for employment!! How exciting!!

However, Dallas offers many of the same options for entertainment and activities. I personally find Dallas to have a more sophisticated culture, traffic is not as crazy as the highways and roads are laid out better (not like spaghetti). It is a very clean city with truly helpful and caring citizens.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck!
Thank you portiajean, lol! that is what exactly what my mother said, when we moved here from Amarillo 20 years ago, lol. For some incorrect reason people think Houston is "friendly", which I don't see often. Maybe laid back (in the way people dress here, lol), but not "friendly", But what I get is that everything here in Houston is "rush-rush" and sometimes people tend act impersonal. One thing that Houston lacks is good radio stations. For a city for it size we are very lacking, when I was in Dallas they had more and a better selection, even thought Dallas is smaller.. But I am ready for a change, plus I can always move back to Houston like LA said.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Well, at least Buzzz dropped the multiple personalities.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_I_am29 View Post
One thing that Houston lacks is good radio stations. For a city for it size we are very lacking, when I was in Dallas they had more and a better selection, even thought Dallas is smaller.. But I am ready for a change, plus I can always move back to Houston like LA said.
Actually the Dallas radio and TV market is larger than Houston.

Arbitron Radio Market Rankings - Spring 2010

DMA Rankings - US TV Households by Market (http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp - broken link)

Old 08-23-2010, 02:57 PM

Default The Differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
If you can get a job and you want to try out Dallas, I say go for it. Remember you can always go home if you dont like it here. Dallas and Houston are close enough together for that.

Dallas isnt all that different. There are subtle differences, but your life here would probably be very similar to what it is in Houston.

What do you see are the differences, most of the people (Blacks and Whites) here in Houston despises Dallas or always making comments on how "country" or "racist" Dallas is, but I find Houston to be more "country" or trashy as well? I don't know?

Old 08-23-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Actually the Dallas radio and TV market is larger than Houston.

Arbitron Radio Market Rankings - Spring 2010

DMA Rankings - US TV Households by Market (http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp - broken link)

Why, when Houston is a larger city? I was told when people think of "Texas"... Dallas, Austin and San Antoine come to mind. But international people, think of Houston, its funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas