Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:40 PM

66 posts, read 162,464 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Texas (Dallas or Austin) late this year/early next year to look for a job. I have visited Texas before but surprisingly did not meet too many native Texas girls. I did meet a lot of other tourists (females) and transplants from all over the country though, probably because I went to all the tourist bars.

Just wanted everyone's opinion on the definition of a "Texas Girl". Outside of being born and raised in Texas, are there personality traits, common values/interests or a physical description that would constitute someone calling themselves a "Texas girl"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 01:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
In Dallas or Austin, there really arent that many people from Texas to begin with.

Most of the things involved with being Texan are stereotypes. If you just be yourself, you should be great!

Old 10-08-2010, 01:44 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,281,743 times
Yeah, really the only requirement to be a "Texas Girl" is to claim Texas as your home.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:48 PM

66 posts, read 162,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
In Dallas or Austin, there really arent that many people from Texas to begin with.

Most of the things involved with being Texan are stereotypes. If you just be yourself, you should be great!
Ya I have no problem being myself. LOL I have heard a couple of girls refer to themselves as a "Texas girl", does this mean they portray the stereotypical "Texan"?

Old 10-08-2010, 01:49 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

^^ This.

I'm a native Texas Girl, born and bred. We are best described as a mix of everything. You can't try to peg us as a certain type or fit us into a neat little box. We are as different from one to the next as much as Texas itself is vastly different from one end of the state to the other. One characteristic that is pretty much a common among most Texans (male and female), we are resourceful. There is never a challange to big for us to face, handle, confront and deal with. We love family, our country and our state and love to have a good time. We don't really care where someone is from as long as they are honest, hardworking, friendly , and can handle just about anything. We might complain but it is usually all in good spirits and in the spirit of looking for a solution. As such, we don't like to hang around constant complainers. Does not matter where one is from...... we are here together to make the best of it.

And yes, us natives are few and far between.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:58 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifornicateTexas View Post
Ya I have no problem being myself. LOL I have heard a couple of girls refer to themselves as a "Texas girl", does this mean they portray the stereotypical "Texan"?
I don't think I've ever heard that term to mean anything other than the girl is from Texas and she is proud of that fact. There are 25 million people in this state and half of them are female. Obviously those millions of women aren't going to have unifying traits. I'm not a girl, but I would guess being a Texas girl means whatever you want it to mean. I can tell you that as a "Texas guy," I like any woman who is sure of herself and comfortable with who she is.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:38 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Default Happy Fall, Ya'll from this Texas "Girl"....

At age 55, I think I would probably more aptly be called a "Texas Old Lady!", but I'm probably a fourth or fifth generation (or more) native Texan. I think probably anything you could say would just be inaccurate stereotyping. I have a bit of a Texan accent for sure and I do refer to a group of people as "ya'll," but beyond that, don't think there is too much that would set me apart from my northern-raised friends and co-workers.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:27 PM

123 posts, read 288,232 times
well it pretty much means that your family has been here since at least the fifties, yer born here, raised here, went to school here, can shoot, hunt, ride, fish, and work an oil rig.

oh, i meant eighteen fifties up there!

Old 10-08-2010, 03:43 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogun View Post
well it pretty much means that your family has been here since at least the fifties, yer born here, raised here, went to school here, can shoot, hunt, ride, fish, and work an oil rig.

And then come in and get cleaned up and be dressed like you just stepped out of Neiman Marcus. LOL!!!

Old 10-08-2010, 03:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogun View Post

Well, I ALMOST qualify, except for one criteria! (Can't work an oil rig, that I know of - never tried - but I have an oil well - well, part of one - does that count? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas