Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 11:16 AM

71 posts, read 178,163 times

Advertisements

Don't forget Hog Creek Icehouse... Have seen some great concerts here including Ted Nugent, Kevin Fowler etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 05:48 PM

13 posts, read 30,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well what are you looking for??? Hip Hop, Tejano, Techno, Gay???

Country/Rock: Wild West and Whiskey River
Hip Hop: Club Energy, Broken Promises, Club Rumors, amongst others
Gay: Club Trix
Techno/House: Varies.
Strip Clubs: Two Minnies and Showtime
Bars: Too many to name.
Tejano/Mexican: Alazon amongst others.
Thank you for the info. Maybe next weekend will be better for us.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:27 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,313,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback View Post
You need to be honest and admit that nice homes or nice neighborhoods in Waco Proper are the exception rather than the rule..and a predominant majority of them are really run down with really questionable tenants..

There are a smattering of nice, older stately estates and homes near the zoo on 4th..but they're a stone's throw from some real ghettos and Section 8 housing complexes that the Waco PD won't even patrol, because they don't stand a chance against all the tenants who are ALL involved in the drug trade, co-conspirators or supporters.. For example, I would not want to live in one of those beautiful andstately historic homes on Austin Ave, because a block behind them are neighborhoods full of wannabe hoodlums with yards full of pitbulls and cars with 22" rims..and gangster music thumping every time they roll down the street..

Folks in Waco's numerous section-8 housing projects and the majority of the neighborhoods in inner-city Waco DON'T WORK, they sell drugs or steal. That's why any given weekday during the 8-5, everywhere you look, there are young males standing around on streetcorners (lookouts) and groups under shade trees in the front yard hanging out or playing dominoes, while living off the government's teat..

Thankfully, 99% of the drug business stays in these neighborhoods and the outlying communities don't have to deal with it..

The only thing outlying communities have to fear is the occasional burglary when some hoodlum with a drug habit sees a target of opportunity..

Waco inter-city schools are the pits too, (thanks to the same socio-economic class) and all the smart people move to Hewitt, Woodway, Lorena or China Spring where their kids can go to school in peace and safety..and get a good education.

Unfortunately, although Hewitt was once rated as one of the best cities in Texas, in the last 10 years, a bunch of duplexes and apartments were built, and the trash moved in, affecting the quality of life and education there as well..

Maybe I should take back my original opinion that Waco is such a nice place...as Waco Proper is not, and instead praise the suburb communities around Waco..that at least for the time being are really nice and affordable places to live..
You people are so surface.....
What you fail to realize is that even though certain people grow up in these neighborhoods as you describe you make it seem like everyone is involved in the drug trade..not true. We're talking kids, teens, grown ups, and eldery folks...really you think these people like to see drugs and thugs...they dont but the city has decided to enclave certain parts of Waco. Visit many of Waco black and hispanic churches on a sunday and talk to the people about whats going on. I like to hang out under the shade tree sometimes and play dominoes and bbq with family and have a drink..so what! Who are you to say who works, worry about your pay check and your bills being paid.

I dont believe that Waco PD hype that their scared please this is not detroit. All WPD does is drive speeding flashing their lights through intersections and spraying tear gas at kids at parties.

Do you know some people live in section 8 housing because thats what they can afford, everyone is not a baby mama its a lot of eldery, veterans, college students, regular working folks over there too; you dont know their story.

Yes there are thugs and wanna bees in Waco just like everywhere else but I bet you dont want to help them stop destroying their community instead you judge and say "ohh look at those people". You made a statement about the 99%, Please Baylor kiddos are big time users and there more drug addicts/users in the suburbs( hewitt, bellmead, lacy lakeview, robinson) (meth heads) that bring the drugs in to waco than you think. The drugs get delivered not made...I ve heard plenty of stories of the Midway kiddos

Im a product of Waco ISD, probably one of the best school districts in the world when its comes to giving students the chance to better themselves and understanding that most people expect you to fail because your from Waco. It is the students decision if they want to drop out or have babies. A lot of us chose to graduate and finish college and live productive lives and some come back to Waco and help the youth out because you wont do it. Instead you judge the black and hispanics kiddos on outward apperances and this and that. Im on a council that helps bring people become entrepreneurs in Waco, what do you do? Im empowering my community to change for themselves even though Rick Shledon will pretty much clear most of East and North Waco in the future Im preparing people to invest in themselves.

So as you continue to move to Lorena and China Spring and other parts of McLennan County; We'll be next door to you with my dominoes, BBQ, and my loud music with family enjoying life not worried what you think!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 AM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
QUOTE: You need to be honest and admit that nice homes or nice neighborhoods in Waco Proper are the exception rather than the rule..and a predominant majority of them are really run down with really questionable tenants..

Actually there are dozens of really nice neighborhoods within the city limits of Waco. If you can't find them you aren't looking very hard.

Austin Ave
Castle Heights
Mountain View
Lake Air
Viking Hills

Are all nice neighborhoods. Pretty much everything along the lake shore in the Landon Branch neighborhood is nice and there are other nice areas scattered about town like Chimney Ridge. All of the residential areas of West Waco are decent and some are quite upscale, like Hunter's Run. And the North Lake Waco area around the airport extending out to China Spring has lots of nice subdivisions. All of these are within the city of Waco even if they feed into suburban school districts like Midway and China Spring.

One does not need to move to the surrounding suburban towns. It is not hard at all to find nice neighborhoods within the city of Waco and many of the most expensive houses in the entire area are located right in the center of Waco. For example these houses are all within Waco

http://www.realtor.com/search/search...1&cmid=1096571

Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Agree with last two post. Waco is not some crime-infested dangerous place as people make it out o be, but it can be scary for the more sheltered ones. Many nice neighborhoods around the Waco area and they aren't hard to find.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
You people are so surface.....
What you fail to realize is that even though certain people grow up in these neighborhoods as you describe you make it seem like everyone is involved in the drug trade..not true. We're talking kids, teens, grown ups, and eldery folks...really you think these people like to see drugs and thugs...they dont but the city has decided to enclave certain parts of Waco. Visit many of Waco black and hispanic churches on a sunday and talk to the people about whats going on. I like to hang out under the shade tree sometimes and play dominoes and bbq with family and have a drink..

so what! Who are you to say who works, worry about your pay check and your bills being paid.
Since my hard earned and paid taxes keep going up to pay for all the unemployed leeches who stand/sit around all day instead of gaining some meaninful employment, I think I have a lot to say about it!

The healthy should not be unemployed!

There is plenty of work to be found around Waco..but the welfare-mentality is so pervasive, inner city kids CAN'T WAIT till they turn 18 to "get their welfare" too..

This problem isn't confined to Waco of course, it's everywhere, but inner-city Waco "could be", instead of an "okay" place, could be a really nice place..

Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
QUOTE: You need to be honest and admit that nice homes or nice neighborhoods in Waco Proper are the exception rather than the rule..and a predominant majority of them are really run down with really questionable tenants..

Actually there are dozens of really nice neighborhoods within the city limits of Waco. If you can't find them you aren't looking very hard.

Austin Ave
Castle Heights
Mountain View
Lake Air
Viking Hills

Are all nice neighborhoods. Pretty much everything along the lake shore in the Landon Branch neighborhood is nice and there are other nice areas scattered about town like Chimney Ridge. All of the residential areas of West Waco are decent and some are quite upscale, like Hunter's Run. And the North Lake Waco area around the airport extending out to China Spring has lots of nice subdivisions. All of these are within the city of Waco even if they feed into suburban school districts like Midway and China Spring.

One does not need to move to the surrounding suburban towns. It is not hard at all to find nice neighborhoods within the city of Waco and many of the most expensive houses in the entire area are located right in the center of Waco. For example these houses are all within Waco

Real Estate & homes for sale | Single family homes,Condos,Townhomes,Co-ops - REALTOR.com®
You make some good points and I agree with most of them..

There are some real nice neighborhoods in Waco...but then you'd have to send your kid to Waco ISD schools...

Old 02-08-2011, 09:21 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback View Post
You make some good points and I agree with most of them..

There are some real nice neighborhoods in Waco...but then you'd have to send your kid to Waco ISD schools...
Not necessarily. There are neighborhoods within the city limits of Waco that feed into Midway ISD, China Spring ISD, and Robinson ISD. I think some corners of the city also feed into Bosqueville and La Vega ISDs.

In any event, some things are looking up with Waco ISD. The new University HS under construction looks to be the nicest HS in the region. As I understand it they are building it as a scaled down version of the new Seven Lakes HS in Katy which is one of the nicest schools in the state. I expect the new school should generate some positive results and pride among the students who attend there and I expect it will draw students from around the district which should give the old Waco HS some breathing room.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:34 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
We hate what we dont understand

Old 02-16-2011, 12:18 AM

35 posts, read 94,356 times
I've lived in Waco for a year and a half going to school at TSTC. I really didn't want to move here as I had always lived out in the hill country north of San Antonio with absolutely 0 crime. Like everyone else I heard about crime in Waco. 1 month after moving into on campus apartments my apartment gets broken into, so it just makes me think Waco is an overall bad crime area. All in all this doesn't seem to be true. Yeah, there's some people that will do that kind of stuff. But it was an on campus apartment, so everyone there was a TSTC student. In the rest of that semester and on to my next semester I had no problems as far as crime goes. I move back after summer to an off campus apartment on Lake Shore. I love it here I've had no problems with anyone. It's quiet. In the time I've been in Waco I've never had anyone try and break into my car or mug me. Yes there's a higher population of blacks than other cities. Doesn't mean they are all bad people. While I'd not have a problem leaving Waco and never returning I could probably be happy living here the rest of my life if that's where life puts me. I don't like big cities, and Waco is a decent size. Big enough to have most everything within decent driving distance and small enough not to be a huge metropolis. I have a friend that's lived in the Cameron Park area her whole life and she can't wait to move out to Ft. Worth most likely. I guess your opinion on Waco is related to where you live in Waco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas