Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:42 PM

5 posts, read 7,286 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Washington State but I was raised in Houston and Beaumont areas. I will be moving back to Texas when I retire and want a place with a bit less humidity and centered more on my family. We spread out a bit...some in lower Arkansas and in Texas - Longview, Pasadena, Winnie, and Evadale. I love rolling hills, snow capped mountains, and water but do not like high humidity or hurricanes.....(hmmmm...like anyone does...lol). I know the snow capped mountains do not exist in East Texas but I am thinking more like Nacogdoches, Lufkin, Livingston, etc... I do make the trip once every year or two to visit family and friends so I drive through some of these areas but have not had time to stop and investigate. I tend to travel the whole circle and that eats up my time quite a bit.

Does anyone have any ideas of which area has more natural food stores, or naturalpath doctors? I have some major food allergies (corn, gluten, and dairy) that prevent me from eating processed food. I am hoping to grow some of my food (organic) to lower my food bill (huge due to the inability to eat anything processed) during retirement. I know that Texarkana, Dallas, and Houston all have Whole Foods Markets; however I do not want to live in those cities due to the polution and chemical levels.

Also, can you tell me if air conditioning works well in these areas? I don't know if the humidity stays fairly level or goes down drastically in the hill country. (Where I live now, air conditioning does not work well because the humidity drops when it gets hot.) Which areas have transportation alternatives for the elderly (for when they can no longer drive). When I move, I want to stay until I must leave. Planning is needed.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 08:41 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,752,127 times
Frankly with all your criteria you are better off staying in the Northwest. If not Washington then Oregon or Idaho. Some place like Bellingham, Corvallis, Eugene if you want mild winters, or Spokane or Boise if you want colder winters will better meet your criteria.

There is no place I can think of in Texas that meets all of the following criteria:

natural/organic food stores
low chemical/pollution levels
smaller towns
low humidity
good mass transit

Your best bet would probably be one of the more upscale towns in the hill country west of Austin. There are lots of out-of-state retirees settling in those areas. You won't find any mass transit though once you get out of the major cities.

And yes, air conditioning works well in Texas. Most interior environments (offices, stores, etc.) are chilled so much in the summer you practically need a sweater.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
There's a health food store in Sanderson (pop. 861; closest bigger town, 61 miles). I've never been in it, but I always see it when I pass through.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:24 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,169,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Frankly with all your criteria you are better off staying in the Northwest. If not Washington then Oregon or Idaho.
I agree.

The twin cities of Lewiston, ID / Clarkston, WA are at river level and known as both "The Banana Belt" and Idaho's "seaport." Winters are mild for being in the NW - ie: Banana Belt. And summers can be hot, but only for a few days normally. There are many retirees living in those towns and along the Clearwater River valley. Great river hike/bike trails and several excellent golf courses and other amenities.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:27 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
Here in Austin, central Texas, air conditioning works fine, if it didn't, most of the state would be uninhabitable. Humidity levels change little in the "Hill Country", West of Austin. There isn't that much elevation change.

This humidity map can help you monitor what the levels are like in Texas. Texas Relative Humidity Map

Nacogdoches and the area has pretty high humidity and rainfall most of the year. Check out hte weather charts here. http://www.city-data.com/city/Nacogdoches-Texas.html More information here. Nacogdoches, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Austin, TX has lower humidity then the places you named, lots of health food stores and restaurants as well as great healthcare facilities and MetroAccess transporation services for people with disabilities. News and Info - Capital Metro Transit - Austin, Texas My wife and I are retiring here in Austin and think it is a great location for retirement.

The Alpine & Marfa, Tx areas are popular for the lower humidity and more moderate temperatures. Both towns have health food stores and restaurants. Alpine elevation 4,475'. That is a long way from Arkansas, but Alpine is served by AmTrak trains, as is Austin.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:26 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,902 times
That list is a tough order to fill. You may be best to check out Sanderson Texas...thats the only place that comes close. Traffic is a bear there though

Old 05-02-2011, 05:02 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
Sanderson is a dying town. There are no medical facilities anywhere close, and it is extremely isolated and remote. I seriously doubt that is what the OP is looking for...

Old 05-02-2011, 05:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,169,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Sanderson is a dying town.
The poster who mentioned it is joking. Sanderson has been "stagnant" for as long as I can remember - and that's over 70 yrs now. Not dying necessarily, just sitting there stagnating.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:26 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
I wouldn't mind retiring to the Fort Davis area. Low humidity there for sure! BTW, the relative humidity nearly always drops when the temperature gets hot because the air is capable of holding so much more moisture.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 7,286 times
Thanks everyone. It sounds like Austin will be it. Sanderson sounds way too isolated.

As to staying in the Northwest, that is too far away from my family and the growing season is so short that growing tomatos only happens if you have a hot house. I will need to grow as many items as possible so I can cut my food bill. Organic food is seriously expensive. I cannot even buy a house here. A junk house costs $85000 here and I do mean junk. A house in decent shape runs $140,000 and up. I cannot afford that.

Austin is a little higher price than some areas in Texas but my Mom mentioned it also because I was always interested in living there. I like the rolling hills. I know that Austin has a Whole Food Market (or maybe 2 of them). I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas