Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote Perry for President?
Yes 23 17.83%
No 95 73.64%
Maybe 11 8.53%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,883,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gribbler View Post
And in 2004 it was "It's Bush, stupid", but that wasn't enough. You have to have a strong candidate to comprehensively oppose his policies and show that he/she is the better person for the job. Even if you're a hardcore conservative, looking objectively there's no GOP candidate who can probably do that.
At this point in time, I'd have to agree with you, however sick it makes me to my stomach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
Quote:
Even if you're a hardcore conservative, looking objectively there's no GOP candidate who can probably do that.
Granted that conservatives are notorious for gathering their marbles and going crying home to mama when they don't get everything they want but Perry has at least verbally attacked Obama and his economy-killing policies. I wouldn't trust the party-jumping Perry as far as I could throw him but this fiscal and social conservative will vote for him if that's all we get. That's all the OP asked.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:32 PM

96 posts, read 124,985 times
I rather vote for Spiro Agnew.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:45 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,608,238 times
No ,didn't Texas Monthly say he's all hat n no cattle

Old 06-21-2011, 08:34 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
Quote:
You probably don't know many "liberals" then. And the polls in all of the battleground states are at odds with your beliefs.

Beg to differ. I even went to a cocktail party in my neighborhood for Mayor Anice Parker.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
I suppose I would if our only other option was David Duke.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,984,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Most everyone I know, whether conservative liberal tea party etc., is voting Anyone But Obama. So I guess if Perry is the GOP winner, then he will get voted for. That's pretty much how he's won in Texas anyway. He's not any worse than anyone else up there.
That's a particular Texas pathology. Don't suppose that the majority in other states suffer from the same idiocy. Texas, much of the South, and a few other very conservative states may go for the Repug nominee in 2012; Texas will be the only pro-Repug state that has a large number of electoral votes to contribute (with the possible exception of Florida, but the Repugs may frighten the Florida senior citizens into voting Democratic).

Old 06-21-2011, 12:48 PM

185 posts, read 350,279 times
Alex Jones released a video about Rick Perry and basically shows that Perry is another establishment GOPer like Bush.

YouTube - ‪Rick Perry Announces Presidential Run‬‏

"[Rick Perry] is counting on your ignorance. He's counting on you to buy into his packaging of a 'Texan' and of a 'Patriot', when all Rick Perry will do is give Texas and America a bad name, and he'll betray you just like George W. Bush and Barack H. Obama. And he'll ensure that somebody like Ron Paul, who doesn't have the fancy hair of Rick Perry, but has the Constitutionalist record is defeated. If you so-called 'Rhino Conservatives' buy into Rick Perry, you'll get what you deserve, just like you 'Obamanoid' idiots."

That and Rick Perry has been a flip-flopper.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:14 PM

579 posts, read 1,228,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
That's a particular Texas pathology. Don't suppose that the majority in other states suffer from the same idiocy. Texas, much of the South, and a few other very conservative states may go for the Repug nominee in 2012; Texas will be the only pro-Repug state that has a large number of electoral votes to contribute (with the possible exception of Florida, but the Repugs may frighten the Florida senior citizens into voting Democratic).
Change Texas to (insert favorite liberal state here), and "the south" to "the northeast" or "west coast", insert democrat instead of "repug" and you have 2004....It is not just a Texas thing or a "repug" thing.

FYI republicans...it didn't work out so well for them in 2004, so hopefully republicans will nominate someone worth getting behind.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:46 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,984,487 times
As I recall, Americans got buyer's remorse almost as soon as they had installed Bush II in his second term. Were Perry to win the Republican nomination, I frankly don't think the majority of Americans would vote for another abrasive Texan in the general election. The memories of G W Bush are too fresh and Perry is not a likeable character, at least to the majority of people living in regions of the country outside Texas and the South. It will also be easy to impugn Perry's record. This can be done on many levels, from the more serious failings of his leadership to his ill-considered demagoguery such as making remarks about Texas' putative ability to secede from the USA. Would publicising such a statement really garner voter sympathy for Perry's presidential candidacy? Would pitting Texas against the rest of the country look good for a candidate for POTUS? Perry can be made to look dangerous. By contrast, Obama is a known quantity. Only a few hotheads and nutters think him dangerous at this point, even if a larger number of the electorate are disappointed in his leadership (both those on the right and on the left, for quite different reasons).

You should also forget about squandering a primary vote on Ron Paul. He's attractive only to a small number of the far right or radical laissez faire libertarians. His political programme won't fly in the general election.

Only a Texan Republican who came across as politically moderate, had a record that verified his/her actual political moderation, and did not appear too overtly Texan - unlike Bush or Perry, or these days LBJ for that matter - could possibly win a general election for POTUS at this juncture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas